Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. H. EVERY time I see one of your posts I wonder, "What the hell has he done now?" (In a nice way, of course). You people MUST have 49 hour days down under or some such other strange time warping phenomenon because what you get done in a few, what seems hours, would take me weeks, nay, months. Keep at it mate.

Haha not quite mate lol. I work 11hrs per day then spend 2.5hrs a day on SOLSTICE then drive home.

Thanks for your support mate. Nice to hear ;-)

Haha not quite mate lol. I work 11hrs per day then spend 2.5hrs a day on SOLSTICE then drive home.

Thanks for your support mate. Nice to hear ;-)

Just a second now mate!

I think RT has hit it on the head... you some how create more hours in your day than anyone else can.

That IS Magic!!

Fantastic - No Wonder You Get So Much Accomplished!!

Your Daily Avg. Hrs. - routine spreadsheet:

- 11 hrs. working,
- 2.5 hrs. per day on SOLSTICE,
- 7 hrs. sleeping,
- 1.5 hr. eating,
- 2 hrs. driving,
- 1.5 hr. TV/rest time,
- .5 hr. kissy time,
- .5 hr. buying goods at a store,
- .5 hr. spacing out,
- .75 hr. contemplating/designing your next improvement on Solstice,
- .25 hr. getting dressed/undressed; and, last but not least...
- .5 hr. ablutions

That = 29.5 hrs. per day in your days! Not quite as much as RT thought might be on hand... But - we'd all love to find an extra 5.5 hrs. per day! That gives you 2007.5 xtra hrs. of life to fill per year. That's the best trick I've ever seen! And, You Do It!!!

:dance:

Hey look at that! The hull is almost all one color! That’s gotta feel pretty good.

Just a second now mate!

I think RT has hit it on the head... you some how create more hours in your day than anyone else can.

That IS Magic!!

- 11 hrs. working,
- 7 hrs. sleeping,
- 1.5 hr. eating,
- 2 hrs. driving,
- 1.5 hr. TV/rest time,
- .5 hr. kissy time,
- .5 hr. spacing out,
- .5 hr. ablutions

That = 29.5 hrs. per day in your days! Not quite as much as RT thought might be on hand... But - we'd all love to find an extra 5.5 hrs. per day! That gives you 2007.5 xtra hrs. of life to fill per year. That's the best trick I've ever seen! And, You Do It!!!

Lol

Just spent the last three days re-reading your amazing saga from day one. I'm retired so I have time. It would make an excellent book. Btw we have the same Perkins engine.

Just spent the last three days re-reading your amazing saga from day one. I'm retired so I have time. It would make an excellent book. Btw we have the same Perkins engine.

Hey nice to hear from you! Glad you enjoyed the read. Do you like your Perkins? Any issues that I should look out for? Are they good on fuel?

Hey nice to hear from you! Glad you enjoyed the read. Do you like your Perkins? Any issues that I should look out for? Are they good on fuel?

We love our "old school" Perkins. It's a bit smoky on startup, but clears up nicely. Our full displacement trawler comes in At 22,000 lbs, we burn less than 2 gph @7 knots. 7000+hours on the Hobbs meter, oil change at 150 hours, we don't add any oil between changes.
Keep the fuel clean, and you will have no issues. The engine is fairly quiet, at least in our boat. These engines will often go 20,000+ hours if they are properly maintained.

We love our "old school" Perkins. It's a bit smoky on startup, but clears up nicely. Our full displacement trawler comes in At 22,000 lbs, we burn less than 2 gph @7 knots. 7000+hours on the Hobbs meter, oil change at 150 hours, we don't add any oil between changes.

Keep the fuel clean, and you will have no issues. The engine is fairly quiet, at least in our boat. These engines will often go 20,000+ hours if they are properly maintained.

Fantastic. Thank you for the info Dave. Gives me something to work off and guesstimate :)

Early Finish this afternoon but I still managed to get a bit done. I’ll definitely have all of the sanding 100% finished and have the boat ready for topcoat painting by the end of the day tomorrow. After Easter I can start on the interior. Soooooo happy to step away from sanding.
IMG_0240.jpg
IMG_0241.jpg
IMG_0242.jpg

"Soooooo happy to step away from sanding."

Gongrats and GGGOOOODDD for you!

Well that’s it. Sanding done..(minus a couple of primer touch ups I need to make). The site Forman was there to make sure the job was finished. She’s been here from the start.
IMG_0263.jpg
IMG_0265.jpg
IMG_0266.jpg

Although looking calm and foreman-like... she's actually chomping at the bit for SOLSTICE to go "SPLASH" - so she can often splash off SOLSTICE!

For those playing at home I’ve taken your advice and will now make those slots I cut out as engine intakes and turn them into a window with a solid piece of 6mm toughened glass tinted spanning the opening. Thanks for the heads up.

Although looking calm and foreman-like... she's actually chomping at the bit for SOLSTICE to go "SPLASH" - so she can often splash off SOLSTICE!

Dont forget her PFD.

Just a second now mate!

That IS Magic!!

- 11 hrs. working,
- 7 hrs. sleeping,
- 1.5 hr. eating,
- 2 hrs. driving,
- 1.5 hr. TV/rest time,
- .5 hr. kissy time,
- .5 hr. spacing out,
- .5 hr. ablutions

His time clock it like my budget. We are both very creative. LOL

For those playing at home I’ve taken your advice and will now make those slots I cut out as engine intakes and turn them into a window with a solid piece of 6mm toughened glass tinted spanning the opening. Thanks for the heads up.

:thumb:
Big relief!. I was quite worried you might ignore all the (us) old farts on this one!:angel:

If I’m not mistaken, that was my idea mate. Just sayin’.

And for historical purposes, Post #1 was on 11/03/2012 at 0820.

I need to make a paint shed for my baby before I spray so I decided to start by building a 21m long 2.2m high steel frame “fence” down the Starboard side that will be wrapped with tarps to stop dirt and debris blowing into the paint then the roof tarps will drape over the top of the wall sealing it all up then I’ll continue all of the other sides until she’s all sealed up. The moon is out so time to get home.
IMG_0295.jpg
IMG_0296.jpg
IMG_0297.jpg
IMG_0298.jpg
IMG_0299.jpg
IMG_0300.jpg
IMG_0301.jpg
IMG_0303.jpg
IMG_0304.jpg

Permit me to make an obvious statement.
Before painting, wipe the hull down good to get the dust and dirt off the area to be painted.

I'd call your oncoming paint-boat wrap/tent enclosure "swaddling cloth" for your baby!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom