Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And she’s up. Too wet to drill holes or anything so just whacked it up and ran for cover. Looks good so far I reckon. Glad I cut it down to 600.

IMG_1516172180.335785.jpg
IMG_1516172198.808988.jpg

Matt - BEAUTIFUL WORK ON RAILING!

You never cease to impress.

Seldom ever do craftsmen as fully competent in correctly accomplishing any style trade application come along. You are not only a virtuoso of the hand-trades... but also you are a freaking genius in mind's eye design follow through. Not to mention being damn nice fellow to know!

Go Solstice.... GOOOOO! :thumb:

Cheers!

Art

Careful Art. Don't blow too much smoke up the old, you now what. We don't want to risk giving him a swelled head, as my grandfather used to say. :D
It might make him top heavy, and mess up his accurate eye thing. :eek:

Careful Art. Don't blow too much smoke up the old, you now what. We don't want to risk giving him a swelled head, as my grandfather used to say. :D
It might make him top heavy, and mess up his accurate eye thing. :eek:

Pete - Visit post #4 [when Matt was still a young man - lol] and you will see that his personal cog is substantial enough to counter balance any amount of [deserved] praise upon :thumb: :dance: :speed boat:

3396 posts to read through on your thread, number 3397 is me telling you what a great job you have done- plus listing/explaining everything with pictures. Thank you, sir. Long thread, not boring at all.

And a very beautiful boat this is turning into. Getting impatient to float her yet?

Pete - Visit post #4 [when Matt was still a young man - lol] and you will see that his personal cog is substantial enough to counter balance any amount of [deserved] praise upon :thumb: :dance: :speed boat:

Don’t worry about him mate. I humbly appreciate and respect your support. Thanks for being there mate.

3396 posts to read through on your thread, number 3397 is me telling you what a great job you have done- plus listing/explaining everything with pictures. Thank you, sir. Long thread, not boring at all.

And a very beautiful boat this is turning into. Getting impatient to float her yet?

Ah thanks for reading it mate. I couldn’t have done it without the help and support of everyone on here. It’s the result of a collaboration of ideas from near and far, young and old.

:)

Hahaha gees that’s going back. I got a little sick in my mouth looking at that pic hahahaha. Man I was so naive and clueless to what was install for me hahaha

From whence cometh the origin of that old but sometimes apt saying, 'ignorance is bliss', Matt. Only sometimes that is - this was one of them. :D

So I had a mate come down and secure his spot onboard for a fishing trip or two by helping with some sanding and other tasks. It was really nice to have a helping hand. We finished putting the main tarps up for my spray booth roof and I also sorted out my stainless steel fixings and cable for the bowrail to look at fitting

Now that the Bow rail is up, This week I will move it to its final fixing location, pre-drill all of the holes in the topside larger than needed, epoxy fill them, then when dry drill out the exact bolt hole size for a rot free fixings. I’ll loosely run the stainless steel cabling then wrap it all up and put it away so as to not get any paint or crap on it till final fitment later on in the year.

IMG_8501.jpg
IMG_8506.jpg
IMG_8499.jpg

Last edited:
:speed boat:Good you have mate close by to somewhat assist. What a fish story he can tell about how instrumental he was in building that square foot of Solstice's gel coat! :hide: LOL

:speed boat:Kidding aside... tell him I said thanks... for you... so you get at least a bit of relaxation during this unbelievable task you have taken on! :eek: :thumb:

If I had the capital available I'd fly you here [or better yet transport our boat there] And have you refurbish every portion of it! Our boat's bones are excellent, but, being 41 yrs. she could stand a complete going over to restablish her dominance as one of the best 34' pleasure cruisers ever constructed. You're my first and only choice for a super duper complete job on our Tolly!! :D :thumb:

Last edited:
:speed boat:Good you have mate close by to somewhat assist. What a fish story he can tell about how instrumental he was in building that square foot of Solstice's gel coat! :hide: LOL

:speed boat:Kidding aside... tell him I said thanks... for you... so you get at least a bit of relaxation during this unbelievable task you have taken on! :eek: :thumb:

Lol yeah he was talking his work up pretty big once he was done haha. I let him run with that thought however once he went home I spent an hour going over it lol. It’s the thought that counts.

If I had the capital available I'd fly you here [or better yet transport our boat there] And have you refurbish every portion of it! Our boat's bones are excellent, but, being 41 yrs. she could stand a complete going over to restablish her dominance as one of the best 34' pleasure cruisers ever constructed. You're my first and only choice for a super duper complete job on our Tolly!! :D :thumb:

Keep that thought. The admiral and I are wanting to go to the states in the next couple of years once a few debts are sorted and I’d love to catch up and help out my mate with his Tolly. :)

More sanding today... Says it ALL!! :thumb:

Keep that thought. The admiral and I are wanting to go to the states in the next couple of years once a few debts are sorted and I’d love to catch up and help out my mate with his Tolly. :)

That would be too cool. However, I don't think Flic wants to visit USA for you to work on another boat. LOL :rofl:

If you guys do get in this region it would be great to have some face time with you [Captain] Matt and your [Admiral] Felicity! :dance:

Cheers... Art :speed boat:

Fly into Seattle mate and I'll pick you up. You can take our Volkswagen Vanagon Campervan and tour the country with it.

Aft cockpit sanded in P320. Some small defects that need to be filled with fine filler before paint tho.

I then moved out on to the swim platform and began to give the transom some love.

IMG_8674.jpg
IMG_8675.jpg
IMG_8676.jpg
IMG_8677.jpg
IMG_8678.jpg
IMG_8679.jpg
IMG_8681.jpg
IMG_8682.jpg
IMG_8683.jpg

Aft cockpit sanded in P320. Some small defects that need to be filled with fine filler before paint tho.

I then moved out on to the swim platform and began to give the transom some love.

Ok Matt - Come clean now... What square inch of Solstice have you not given insurmountable LOVE toooooo... :popcorn: :thumb: :D :rofl: :flowers:

Transom and swim platform done so moved out on to the scaffold and began guide coating and P320 sanding on the Portside of the superstructure.

IMG_8683.jpg
IMG_8690.jpg
IMG_8691.jpg
IMG_8696.jpg
IMG_8689.jpg
IMG_8692.jpg
IMG_8693.jpg
IMG_8694.jpg
IMG_8695.jpg

Amazing! That's my word for you and your boat today. :D

And, may I add... "Simply" Amazing!! :thumb:

Back