Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Old 04-08-2016, 07:15 AM   #2241
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. H. There's only ONE thing I might suggest you alter. The hinged cap rail on the transom door is going to be potentially subjected to a lot of lateral torque when in the closed position. I expect you will have some sort of hasp or clasp to secure it when in the closed position BUT if you forget to secure the free end and one of your rotund mates leans/falls against it, it will surely rip out the hinges.

IF you could incorporate some sort of mortise/tenon joint on the free end that might eliminate that possibility. Some sort of puzzle joint. Kinda hard to explain...

Old 04-08-2016, 07:18 AM   #2242
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Welcome back.

Thanks mate ... (Yes)

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Old 04-08-2016, 07:21 AM   #2243
Veteran Member

City: Key Largo
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: 450 Ocean Alexander Classico
Thank you for coming back! I've been following up on your project on another site after you left and have really enjoyed your project and your determination. I think most of us wish we had the skill sets you've shown. Best of luck moving forward!
kody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:22 AM   #2244
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Welcome back and thanks for sharing. Our boat, The Promise is with a mechanic now having some engine issues sorted. In a few weeks we relocate her from Seattle to here:

http://porthadlockmarina.com

Hey mate. Oh no that's not good news :-/ ... Any ideas on what the issues age is having?? Wow that's a nice looking marina mate. I'm jealous lol

Old 04-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #2245
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Matt, glad your back man. I've been working on the Rose full time the last 4 months. Like Bob said, your determination kinda kept me going when I didn't have a dime to pay a bill much less pay slip rent and work on a boat. Things are going good and I hope to be crusing this summer. Paul

Hey brother! Good to hear from you again mate :-)

Great to hear ROSE is getting heaps of love.

Would love to see some pics mate.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that ROSE is "flowering" for summer mate, actually y'all better be on the water, I'm living vicariously through everyone on here that has a floating vessel..! :-)

Old 04-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #2246
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. H. There's only ONE thing I might suggest you alter. The hinged cap rail on the transom door is going to be potentially subjected to a lot of lateral torque when in the closed position. I expect you will have some sort of hasp or clasp to secure it when in the closed position BUT if you forget to secure the free end and one of your rotund mates leans/falls against it, it will surely rip out the hinges.

IF you could incorporate some sort of mortise/tenon joint on the free end that might eliminate that possibility. Some sort of puzzle joint. Kinda hard to explain...

Haha "rotund" Lol ... Yeh good spotting mate. Totally agree. I will look into something.

I was putting my faith in the hinge.

Thanks for bring it up bud.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #2247
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Thanks mate. I like it too. I was watching JAWS a little while ago and saw some similarities. They are on a timber boat, ours is a timber boat, their boat is named 'ORCA' mine is named after an orca ... Let's hope the similarities stop there and no big arse shark tries to eat our boat lol
Welcome back Matt. And yes, hey careful re that Jaws thing. Don't go shark hunting in it. Remember they decided "they needed a bigger boat..!" I'm sure you don't want to start building another bigger one.

PS. Jaws ruined me for sea bathing...
Old 04-08-2016, 08:10 AM   #2248
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Haha "rotund" Lol ... Yeh good spotting mate. Totally agree. I will look into something.

I was putting my faith in the hinge.

Thanks for bring it up bud.

Matt, best way to fix, once decided if the transom door is going to open inwards, (like mine in the pic), or outwards, is just to cut the door so the closing face to the transom proper is angled accordingly, so it comes up hard, and the lock then just secures it from accidental opening. Mine does not even need a lock actually, because it opens inwards, so a fall against it will never push it outwards.

Sorry, I have not had time to go through all your pics, so apologies if you are ahead of the play and not able to do what I just suggested so easily. However, it might be a modification that could be still achieved, if so..?

Ok, sorry, now I have had time to look, I see what RTF meant, you just have a cap rail there, not a whole door. I agree with the need to create some kind of wedge effect there however. You can see in my pick there used to also be a cap rail there, but it was more of a nuisance than anything, and not needed, so the PO did away with it. However, you can still see that it actually hinged on the outboard end, (out of sight above the rod holder, but settled into a kind of bronze clasp, that prevented sideways movement at the inboard end above the dinghy, while the bevelled shape, like yours, held it horizontal.
I don't suppose it is still possible to make a whole door and mount it like the one in the pic...?
Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	50492  
Old 04-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #2249
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampu View Post
Matt, glad your back man. I've been working on the Rose full time the last 4 months. Like Bob said, your determination kinda kept me going when I didn't have a dime to pay a bill much less pay slip rent and work on a boat. Things are going good and I hope to be crusing this summer. Paul
Good on ya Paul! Guys like you and Matt... make the battery firm's "Energizer Bunny" pale in comparison!

Cum to think of it... with all due respect... Wasn't that the insignia Hugh Heffner had tattooed as a "tramp stamp" on the small of his 13th wife's back?
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #2250
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
So glad to see ya back Matt! We really did miss ya Bud! Thanks for the link on the project, when I get a bit more wifi than currently I'll read up on ya. Were cruising and heading North, so I suspect it will only get worse.
Hang in there, and keep up the great work, your an inspiration to us all.
" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #2251
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Matt, you are fearless! I can see the beauty emerging. That helm station is a work of art. See how you've been missed?
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #2252
Guru

Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Matt, best way to fix, once decided if the transom door is going to open inwards, (like mine in the pic), or outwards, is just to cut the door so the closing face to the transom proper is angled accordingly, so it comes up hard, and the lock then just secures it from accidental opening. Mine does not even need a lock actually, because it opens inwards, so a fall against it will never push it outwards.

Sorry, I have not had time to go through all your pics, so apologies if you are ahead of the play and not able to do what I just suggested so easily. However, it might be a modification that could be still achieved, if so..?

Ok, sorry, now I have had time to look, I see what RTF meant, you just have a cap rail there, not a whole door. I agree with the need to create some kind of wedge effect there however. You can see in my pick there used to also be a cap rail there, but it was more of a nuisance than anything, and not needed, so the PO did away with it. However, you can still see that it actually hinged on the outboard end, (out of sight above the rod holder, but settled into a kind of bronze clasp, that prevented sideways movement at the inboard end above the dinghy, while the bevelled shape, like yours, held it horizontal.
I don't suppose it is still possible to make a whole door and mount it like the one in the pic...?
Cheers,

Thanks for the help mate. Unfortunately the door setup I'm running is the hinged cap rail then the outward swinging door. It's too late to change. I will have to look at securing the mitre joint end of the rail. Perhaps some sort of pin or wedge like you have suggested or a lock to secure it. Thanks for the suggestion. Keep them coming mate!

Old 04-08-2016, 11:19 AM   #2253
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Good on ya Paul! Guys like you and Matt... make the battery firm's "Energizer Bunny" pale in comparison!

Cum to think of it... with all due respect... Wasn't that the insignia Hugh Heffner had tattooed as a "tramp stamp" on the small of his 13th wife's back?

Lol

Old 04-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #2254
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
So glad to see ya back Matt! We really did miss ya Bud! Thanks for the link on the project, when I get a bit more wifi than currently I'll read up on ya. Were cruising and heading North, so I suspect it will only get worse.
Hang in there, and keep up the great work, your an inspiration to us all.

Hey mate. Great to hear from you again too!

Go enjoy and post pics of your travels. I need inspiration :-)

Old 04-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #2255
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Matt, you are fearless! I can see the beauty emerging. That helm station is a work of art. See how you've been missed?

Yeah you like it? I think it came up good. Still some tweaking to do on it and adding the CD player and VHF but that's pretty much how it's going to look.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #2256
Guru

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Man I'm glad you're back .:
Old 04-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #2257
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Matt's Back!
That's great and you're going to need a very big bucket for all the photo's you post and that's very very good. Love the pics but mostly you. You're the best "doer" I've ever spent time with. A friend in Alaska has a favorite saying "get-er-done" ... but you knew all about that when he was a young man ... and he's not now.
Glad you're back and glad you have time for TF. Speaking of pics .. interesting avatar.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #2258
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Man I'm glad you're back .:

Lol glad to see you too mate :-)

Old 04-08-2016, 12:11 PM   #2259
Guru

Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Matt's Back!
That's great and you're going to need a very big bucket for all the photo's you post and that's very very good. Love the pics but mostly you. You're the best "doer" I've ever spent time with. A friend in Alaska has a favorite saying "get-er-done" ... but you knew all about that when he was a young man ... and he's not now.
Glad you're back and glad you have time for TF. Speaking of pics .. interesting avatar.

Naww thanks mate. Appreciate the vote of confidence and I'm glad to be speaking to you too :-)

Yeh my avatar is a sexy Super Yacht atm while I decide on a more perm one.

Old 04-08-2016, 12:37 PM   #2260
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RT,
Excellent question but too many variables to answer the question.
With our boat we bought her just before we decided to move to Alaska. She had an old engine and one bad fuel tank. The one good tank (50gal) would have been fine here in WA and so would the engine .. 4-107 Perkins. But in Alaska the new tanks and engine seemed a worthwile expendature. We repowered and retanked (and more) but now we're back in WA. So it turned out to be too much in the end but 4 years ago in Alaska it seemed very comfortable. So time and time's situations are a huge variable too. But a boat in WA, put a lot of money into it that's not too much and then move to Montana. Then it becomes too much.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote