Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Matt, I'm convinced the whole black is hot thing is overdone. Sure if touched on the outside the surface will feel hotter than a white surface, but the amount extra of that heat that gets to the inside, especially with insulation, is quite small, as much of it is reflected heat from a shiny surface. Otherwise there'd be no black cars. And there is no doubt, black looks fantastic. The only mild negative is it might fade a bit faster and show scratches a bit more over time than lighter colours - so what?

An acquaintance of mine with a Clipper 30, did a full reno on her, and had her repainted a nice professional two pack black, about the same time, and same paint shop I had my Clipper 34 done in white. Mine looks really nice - his looked bloody terrific. So you just keep doin' what you're doin'. :thumb:

Matter of fact, she's for sale even as we speak...well, type anyway. Erik spent a squillion on that boat. Sadly he won't get it back, but he had fun doing it. She still looks great, as that paint job, as shown in the link, is now 5 years old in that photo.
Used Chung Hwa Flybridge for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub

Nice black boat! I'm sure SOLSTICE will present herself as outstanding in black!

For the boat on the link in post above: 6 ltrs at 6 knts = 3.77 nm per U.S. gallon at cruise - economical for sure!

Nice black boat! I'm sure SOLSTICE will present herself as outstanding in black!

For the boat on the link in post above: 6 ltrs at 6 knts = 3.77 nm per U.S. gallon at cruise - economical for sure!

Quite believable Art. She has a 80 hp Lehman, and mine's a 120, and I get 7lph at 7 knots.

All that work ruined w black paint.
Can't belive it.

Quite believable Art. She has a 80 hp Lehman, and mine's a 120, and I get 7lph at 7 knots.

I'm quite sure those boats with small diesel engines do that well on nmpg. Heck... at 6 knts running on only one of our Tolly's 255 hp gasoline engines we get right at 3 nmpg. I'm sure little single diesels get just a bit better at same speed. Then again, in comparison for U.S. fuels... gas is cheaper than diesel. $$$ wise it reaches just about equivalent.

Thing is... and something I require about a boat... Tolly can plane at comfortable 16 to 17 knots and make going further faster/easier; although, at that speed about 3X more expensive per nm. And, if per chance I need to run out of trouble WOT with twins churning out total 510 hp will push us along at 22 to 23 knots. Don't even ask nmpg at that speed... I'm sure it is in the decimals! LOL :rofl:

Matt, I'm convinced the whole black is hot thing is overdone. Sure if touched on the outside the surface will feel hotter than a white surface, but the amount extra of that heat that gets to the inside, especially with insulation, is quite small, as much of it is reflected heat from a shiny surface. Otherwise there'd be no black cars. And there is no doubt, black looks fantastic. The only mild negative is it might fade a bit faster and show scratches a bit more over time than lighter colours - so what?

An acquaintance of mine with a Clipper 30, did a full reno on her, and had her repainted a nice professional two pack black, about the same time, and same paint shop I had my Clipper 34 done in white. Mine looks really nice - his looked bloody terrific. So you just keep doin' what you're doin'. :thumb:

Matter of fact, she's for sale even as we speak...well, type anyway. Erik spent a squillion on that boat. Sadly he won't get it back, but he had fun doing it. She still looks great, as that paint job, as shown in the link, is now 5 years old in that photo.
Used Chung Hwa Flybridge for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub

My Clipper Lotus, mirror view...

Thanks for the link and the write up Pete! Appreciate it mate ;-)

Anyone used one of these or have had experience with a similar one? Looking at a gauge for the 800ltr fresh water tank.
IMG_8326.jpg

.....Thing is... and something I require about a boat... Tolly can plane at comfortable 16 to 17 knots and make going further faster/easier; although, at that speed about 3X more expensive per nm. And, if per chance I need to run out of trouble WOT with twins churning out total 510 hp will push us along at 22 to 23 knots. Don't even ask nmpg at that speed... I'm sure it is in the decimals! LOL :rofl:

Art, you know what. I see those boats going past semi-planing at those speeds, and I don't envy them one iota. You'd be using at least about 50-60 lph at that speed - as to nmph - don't use that here - what does it mean, as so affected by current direction etc, especially if you refer to speed over the ground. But that rate of fuel consumption is a real killer when you are paying $1.35 per litre as we do, which has actually come down. Actually, diesel should always be cheaper than petrol as less refining involved. It used to be up around $1.55 a litre here.:eek::nonono:

>
Art, you know what. I see those boats going past semi-planing at those speeds, and I don't envy them one iota. You'd be using at least about 50-60 lph at that speed - as to nmph - don't use that here - what does it mean, as so affected by current direction etc, especially if you refer to speed over the ground. But that rate of fuel consumption is a real killer when you are paying $1.35 per litre as we do, which has actually come down. Actually, diesel should always be cheaper than petrol as less refining involved. It used to be up around $1.55 a litre here.:eek::nonono:

Hey Peter

We often cruise at 6 knots (that's actual speed through water, irrespective of current, wind... etc; that 6 knot speed is not necessarily speed over ground - which could be faster or slower) Hull speed calculated for our Tolly's water line length is 7.58 knots. We like cruising at the economical below hull speed of 6 knots. Do enjoy going 17 knots when desired, e.g. like when to get some place fast outweighs dollars remaining in pocket at next fill-up! - LOL :ermm:

Acronym of "nmpg" [nautical miles per gallon] is an averaged fuel-use/miles-traveled by running in all sorts of tidal currents as well as winds, waves etc. I calc this number by hours run as compared to known over the ground distances traveled and fuel gallons needed at fill-ups. Soooo... nmpg is not a science but rather a close guestimate estimate that allows for some artistic/trained calculation license. IMHO - over the long span... nmpg number has variables that eventually even out to represent pretty close the real nmpg. :thumb:

Supply and demand is what keeps nearly any commodity price in the range it rests/attains. Used to be [in the 50's/60's] that U.S. diesel was 1/3 less cost than gasoline. Supply and demand took that benefit away. Liquid hydrocarbon fossil fuel refining companies are making a killing on diesel fuel prices these days! :popcorn:
BTW: At 17 knots through water we use about 17 gal per hr. At <6 knots on one engine we use about 2 gal per hr. At 7 knots or just above that speed with both engines running we use in the range of 3 gal per hr.

Pleasure boating ain't cheep - just fun! And IMO - > > Necessary!!!

Last edited:
Bayview that would be flat black like on a workboat.

Re the black I think it's a fad. It's vogue. Cool people zero in on black. Here at Starbucks where there's a lot of people that think the're way cool .. some men and even women are wearing black. Like the're on their way to a funeral. Many head to toe .. black. Black car, black boats .... I just bought an electric heater .. black. Should be grey or tan. The new black heater looks awful w the dust so visable. Everybody thinks black is cool and one must be cool .. one must!

Matt paint her black and I'm sure w you doing the painting it will be dazzling. Just stunning. That is if your favorite filler is perfect. HaHa

Today I heard that we will be having storms and heavy rain all week so I had to change from fairing the hull flare to working on the rubrail and getting it to the stage of epoxy coating to protect the timbers from the water. I finished thru-bolting the rubrail to hull and through the ribs using m12 threaded rod. I then epoxy glued and filleted the underside joint then fibreglassed it with 450gsm tape. I then epoxy glued and screwed some hardwood on the face of the timber rubrail and then epoxy coated it all. I still have to router and then fibreglass the hardwood plank but I ran out of time so I've done what I can today and sealed it all all with epoxy resin. With the rain that's coming I'll now work back under the tarps and continue with the hull flare. Cheers.
IMG_8385.jpg
IMG_8386.jpg
IMG_8387.jpg
IMG_8388.jpg
IMG_8389.jpg

Matt - With your sticktoitavness you'd build an igloo to work under if the weather was cold enough!! :thumb:

Art :D

Matt, I'm convinced the whole black is hot thing is overdone. ..

Plenty of boat owners over this part of the country would disagree.

Delamination problems, print through of glass weave and large bubbles are evident on dark coloured boats over here even though high temp resins both vinyl ester and post cured epoxy Ave been used.

Big money builds some of them as well, several million dollars cost for some but owners know best and boat builders know nothing apparently. ;)

Yo Matt

Where B ya buddy! Long time no see/hear. Hope all is OK! - Art

Bayview that would be flat black like on a workboat.

Re the black I think it's a fad. It's vogue. Cool people zero in on black. Here at Starbucks where there's a lot of people that think the're way cool .. some men and even women are wearing black. Like the're on their way to a funeral. Many head to toe .. black. Black car, black boats .... I just bought an electric heater .. black. Should be grey or tan. The new black heater looks awful w the dust so visable. Everybody thinks black is cool and one must be cool .. one must!

Matt paint her black and I'm sure w you doing the painting it will be There are only two colors to paint a boat, black and white, and only a fool would paint a boat black. By - Nathanael G. Herreshoffdazzling. Just stunning. That is if your favorite filler is perfect. HaHa

There are only two colors to paint a boat, black and white, and only a fool would paint a boat black. By - Nathanael G. Herreshoff

Oops! I think I resemble that remark.:eek::hide:

Well, we have been waiting for an update. 2/6/2016 "With the rain that's coming I'll now work back under the tarps and continue with the hull flare. Cheers."

Hope all is well and it stopped raining:)

Work is progressing nicely. He has taken a break from all the forum BS.

Work is progressing nicely. He has taken a break from all the forum BS.

As do most who want to maintain some sort of sanity. Thread content: nice pictures in your last post Matt, keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Hey, Matt - Good Buddy, Ol' Pal, Expert Boat Re-builder!

What up? How's things going?

Miss hearing from you. Flic OK? You OK? Solstice OK?

Your Mate, Art :D

Hi Art,

Matt is on hiatus from all the forum BS. Work is coming along quite well, he is just faring the last of the hull!

Bob

Hi Art,

Matt is on hiatus from all the forum BS. Work is coming along quite well, he is just faring the last of the hull!

Bob

Thanks, Bob. Glad to hear things are OK. Art

I sure miss Matt's updates......sigh!

Matt has just completed the fairing of the hull and topsides. Hopefully primer before the weather turns.

I sure miss Matt's updates......sigh!

Hi Mate.
I've had a bit of a privacy scare so I had to delete Facebook and stop posting updates on the forums including pictures till I can find the source.

PM me your email and I'll send you updates and pics that way if you like.

Cheers mate

Put me on the list

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom