Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Builders Forums > Custom Builds & Refit Projects

Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #201

Support boat if needed

Hendo don't know if you are north or south of the river if south of the river happy to come out as a camera / support boat when you splash the AXE if wanted, have a 25 ft Bertram (for now). Good project hope it gives you and the family all you want.

kbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #202
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbad View Post
Hendo don't know if you are north or south of the river if south of the river happy to come out as a camera / support boat when you splash the AXE if wanted, have a 25 ft Bertram (for now). Good project hope it gives you and the family all you want.
Hey mate!
Sweet that sounds great! I'm South of the river! I live in Carlisle and Axe currently lives in Forestfield. Bout 10-15 mins away. (Near the airport)

I stoked that there is a local to me member!

Where abouts are you at? You're welcome to come over and have a look at Axe if you want. Don't suppose you know how to rebuild a paragon do ya? Hahaha. Just kidding ;-)

I love the berdies. Are you upgrading soon? Ref the "for now" comment.

You taking the Berdy out for Australia Day? There's a few of us rafting up at the narrows end of the swanny anchoring point.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:34 AM   #203
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Any dismantled engine under repair in Oz is kept in the bath so no parts get lost. What Admiral could object to that?
RTF is developing worrying Australianisms, " (good) on yer, mate!" ("good" is silent, "sport" can be substituted for "mate").
Sounds so hot in WA, the sticks are chasing the dogs.
You could box the gearbox and send it to Britt to fix, let`s think... freight both ways, he last fixed one 40 years ago, maybe not....
Lol can't use the bath in the main bathroom. The cats litter box is in there. Best way to confine the cat litter :-D

Haha I noticed RTF was converting ;-)

RTF- when you say the words, drag out the ends. For instant. How are you going? Would be "how's it garrrn". And really pronounce the 'arrrn' bit and when someone says that to us, Australians won't answer it with a feeling i.e. "good thanks" or "I'm having a bad day". We would answer it with a reversed statement like saying "yeah, not bad ay". Carl Barron explains this beautifully. Search YouTube. I'm sure it'd be on there.

Pluggers is another word you may like to use. it is a word for thongs or flip flop shoes. The ultimate plugger is the 'Double Plugger' :-)

Don't worry RTF, we'll get ya sounding like a true Aussie in no time mate!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:00 AM   #204

Hendo i live in Rockingham, found the Bertie rotting in a paddock in the Valley, new motors new canopy new upholstery and i am pretty much done want to sell her and start saving for a long distance cruiser to venture out in. Have been "out" most places and would love to revisit the Kimberley "my way". Try to avoid the waterways public holidays and as i am self employed i usually go out mid week fishing mainly. Don't know about the gearbox mate, I usually bribe a mate to do things like that which he might do given the right incentive's. Picture of my set up and a couple of mates out at the Fads.
Will keep a watch on the site and if up your way give you a heads up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wal and dollie.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	15936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cruiser and Bertie.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	15937  
Old 01-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #205
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbad View Post
Hendo i live in Rockingham, found the Bertie rotting in a paddock in the Valley, new motors new canopy new upholstery and i am pretty much done want to sell her and start saving for a long distance cruiser to venture out in. Have been "out" most places and would love to revisit the Kimberley "my way". Try to avoid the waterways public holidays and as i am self employed i usually go out mid week fishing mainly. Don't know about the gearbox mate, I usually bribe a mate to do things like that which he might do given the right incentive's. Picture of my set up and a couple of mates out at the Fads.
Will keep a watch on the site and if up your way give you a heads up.
Hey mate. Nice dolphin fish. I'd do anything to catch a fish like that! At the moment I'm fishing out of a ski boat so am limited to where I can go and in what weather. That's one of the reasons for building AXE. My fiancÚ and I love to fish. One of our goals is to each catch a nice pinky. I've got all the big gear to catch the fish but no luck. It's easy to go under and spear fish which I've done plenty of times but it'd be nice to catch a big fish on a rod. There's no real skill in shooting them. I'd like to catch and release too. Once you spear them there's no releasing them.

I've heard heaps about the FADS but have no idea where they are. I'm originally from QLD so have no idea about fishing spots over here. Would be grateful for a spot or two to go to or if you need a decky, give me a call. I'll come :-). I've got plenty of places to go diving and to pick up a few crays but no real fishing spots.

Can't wait to christen AXES decks :-D

That's a nice berdie. Chuck a few pics up of the build. Heaps of people would be interested in seeing it.

Looking at the lights and sign on the 100 series, do you do vehicle piloting? If so ill pay you for your services when I find someone that can move AXE when she's finished

Our plans are to take AXE up north to shark bay and up to Broome etc and also around to Albany and Esperence etc. I've raised the floor up 500mm and will raise the sides up 700mm above the floor height. That'll give us nice high sides for ocean travels :-). Once she's broken in and any issues sorted, our plan is to take her out for three weeks and travel north. Will be great having a boat with a kitchen, separate shower and toilet, beds, nice little diesel and all the comforts as opposed to having two seats and a big outboard that drinks fuel like its going out of fashion lol.

Give me a bell anytime mate! My number is 0418 291 412

Sent from my iPad using Trawler
Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 AM   #206
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Hendo, I wish I'd seen this post earlier, I was down at the boat today, checking on the charger, and the fact I forgot to turn the auto bilge pump back on after I was doing some voltage checks. I have a diagram of the Paragon box in with the engine manual....I think. I'll have a look when I'm down there again on Wednesday. They are well named anyway, as the faultless way it works, (once correctly reassembled of course), makes it a paragon of virtue...he..he...
Anyway, sounds like you have found a good tranny techie anyway, but if I have the pictures, I guess having a copy would be helpful for you. No promises, but I think I saw some Paragon diagrams there somewhere.....
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:20 AM   #207
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Hendo, I wish I'd seen this post earlier, I was down at the boat today, checking on the charger, and the fact I forgot to turn the auto bilge pump back on after I was doing some voltage checks. I have a diagram of the Paragon box in with the engine manual....I think. I'll have a look when I'm down there again on Wednesday. They are well named anyway, as the faultless way it works, (once correctly reassembled of course), makes it a paragon of virtue...he..he...
Anyway, sounds like you have found a good tranny techie anyway, but if I have the pictures, I guess having a copy would be helpful for you. No promises, but I think I saw some Paragon diagrams there somewhere.....
Hey Pete! Yeah no dramas mate. I've had some very helpful emails and a very informative call from Wes today. He's walking me through the process. I'm really impressed with his customer service and am very grateful for having been given his details. I was speaking with a marine transmission shop over here and even they said to ring a bloke called Wes in Qld and it turned out to be the same bloke! :-)

Old 01-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #208
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Rust? She's gotta come apart mate. NO question!
Did a bit this arvo. Came up great IMHO. Still got a lot to do tho :-/

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3384956961.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	15939   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-929665905.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	15940   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2215397545.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	15941  
Old 01-21-2013, 05:30 AM   #209
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Hi there kbad, Your Bertram reminds me that the most exciting, ( read scarey) boat outing I ever went on was in one of those. It belonged to my brother-in-law's boss, and he took us out across Moreton Bay to a place called the Blue Hole to fish for whiting. We caught plenty, but the wind came up stronger than forecasted, and you can only get in or out of it above half tide, so we were delayed heading back, by which time it was BAD. To make it worse, to have enough fuel to get home, we,had to go on the plane, or so the guy said. I guess semi planing would,have been very thirsty. Anyway, we were airborne quite a lot of the time, crashing into the next wave taking solid blue over the top just to add to the fun. I was thinking all the way back, " if we hit a log or something, we are gone." We didn't, and we got back, and I must say it gave me a profound respect for how strong those hulls are. I was a yachtie at the time, you see, so we never travelled like that. In a yacht it would have taken a lot longer, but been a bit of a doddle really.
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #210

Peter can get quite interesting out here the Navy has nicknamed it the "washing machine" pick the wrong day and you will regret it. Hendo will bear you in mind re the fishing always looking for deckies, the fads are about 40 mile out from Rockingham so you need to pick your day.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #211
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser
There you go Hendo I told you Wes the the best marine gear box man in the country.
Have delt with him on and off over the last 20 years.
Cheers
Benn

hey by the way what part of Qld were you from. I still do a lot of spearing, usually hit the Swains , The Hard Line or the T Line a couple of times a year. Don't blow bubbles any more gave it up years ago to boreing, still carry a hooka set for underwater inspections.
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #212
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
There you go Hendo I told you Wes the the best marine gear box man in the country.
Have delt with him on and off over the last 20 years.
Cheers
Benn

hey by the way what part of Qld were you from. I still do a lot of spearing, usually hit the Swains , The Hard Line or the T Line a couple of times a year. Don't blow bubbles any more gave it up years ago to boreing, still carry a hooka set for underwater inspections.
Hey Benn,
Yeh thanks heaps mate! Wes sounds really switched on and I'm really happy to have his details!
I was born in Texas. On the border of QLD & NSW. Moved to Edens Landing for about 8 years then on to Forest Lake before coming here to Perth 3 years ago now

My oldies still live in QLD at Ormeau Hills and my grandparents live in southport on the Goldy.

My fondest memories as a 7 y/o kid was on my Granddads 16ft Cruisecraft Regal. I remember everything about that boat, right down to the mustard and white two tone paint and the 85hp blueband Mercury outboard. We used to fish the seaway, the broardwater and out at the pin.

So you're on the sunny coast yeah?

I'm a part time dive instructor so am always breathing bubbles. Being a smoker, free diving is not an option for me ;-)

Well if you're ever in Perth for an extended stop over, give me a call or txt MSG and we'll catch up and/or go for a dive off Rotto. I know some nice spots and don't worry about the tigers and GW's. I've got a sharkshield that will cover us :-)

Old 01-21-2013, 05:18 PM   #213
Guru

City: coos bay
Quote:
Any dismantled engine under repair in Oz is kept in the bath so no parts get lost. What Admiral could object to that?
RTF is developing worrying Australianisms, " (good) on yer, mate!" ("good" is silent, "sport" can be substituted for "mate").
Sounds so hot in WA, the sticks are chasing the dogs.
You could box the gearbox and send it to Britt to fix, let`s think... freight both ways, he last fixed one 40 years ago, maybe not....
Yep, back then i reassembled more than one engine on the kitchen floor even used the kitchen table. For some things it takes a clean work area and the only place i had back then was the kitchen next to the garage. Be a good spot to reassemble your tramsmission after she is cleaned up.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #214
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post

Yep, back then i reassembled more than one engine on the kitchen floor even used the kitchen table. For some things it takes a clean work area and the only place i had back then was the kitchen next to the garage. Be a good spot to reassemble your tramsmission after she is cleaned up.
When we first built the house and had settled in, one day I decided I wanted to carpet the garage floor with carpet tiles. We have no side access to the back and had nowhere to park the lawn mower, the admirals bike and my bike so they went inside while the admiral was at work lol

Ever since then I've been on notice with bringing outside items inside :-)

She's a great, supportive and understanding girl but I think I tested her beautiful nature that day hehehehehe.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2902595864.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	15960  
Old 01-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #215
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
When we first built the house and had settled in, one day I decided I wanted to carpet the garage floor with carpet tiles. We have no side access to the back and had nowhere to park the lawn mower, the admirals bike and my bike so they went inside while the admiral was at work lol

Ever since then I've been on notice with bringing outside items inside :-)

She's a great, supportive and understanding girl but I think I tested her beautiful nature that day hehehehehe.
i'll bet most in this forum have done sumthing similiar at one time or another.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #216
Guru

Hey fellas. Spent another hour on the motor after work today. She's coming along nicely.

My DSL-2 set up arrived today and i Finished pulling down the tranny.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4201514862.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	15966   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3133025776.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	15967   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3719456195.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	15968   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4252579307.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	15969   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2167932664.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	15970  

Name:	image-2493719849.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	15971   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3301795217.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	15972   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3451459322.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	15973   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-295712004.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	15974   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-880748178.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	15975  

Name:	image-4035528402.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	15976   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3957912329.jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	15977   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1217633162.jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	15978   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3616887508.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	15980  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:40 PM   #217
Guru

that is so pretty
Old 01-23-2013, 01:37 AM   #218
Guru

A couple more from yesterday
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-361366632.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	16016   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-567773165.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	16017  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 AM   #219
Moderator Emeritus

That engine looks like new! What else would you expect with 3 guys in matching monogrammed shirts hard at work in semi rural WA.
Next thing you`ll be posting pics of what will look like a brand new gearbox. What a great project.
Ever been to Darlington? I have rellos( relatives) up there.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #220
Guru

Quote:
That engine looks like new! What else would you expect with 3 guys in matching monogrammed shirts hard at work in semi rural WA.
Next thing you`ll be posting pics of what will look like a brand new gearbox. What a great project.
Ever been to Darlington? I have rellos( relatives) up there.
Hey Bruce, yeah really happy how the engine is coming up! we are doing it after work as he has his main diesel mechanic jobs during the day and is doing this as a favour for me. Darlington is about 5mins drive from where AXE is :-)

The Paragon will be just as sexy I'm sure :-)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3507756118.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	16018   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3249269929.jpg
Size:	154.8 KB
ID:	16019