Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We need to make a gif of you on the torture board. Perhaps photoshop an image of a roman soldier driving you with a whip in the background.

:) Keep at it mate

Matt, the things you are doing such as the "eye brows" over the cabin side windows and the port lite tunnels, create elegant shadow lines. This in turn creates "architectural" interest. These kind of details set a design apart. Flat surfaces are totally uninteresting. Keep it up, Pal. You're in the home stretch.

Matt,
Don has a very significant point here. You have the mark of a true craftsman with a flare of artist very evident in your many details. Most of this is related to your extreme talent working w the tools and materials you probably picked up in the construction industry. There also you probably learned how work produces results. Things get done when you work and you know all about it. You amaze most of us because we know so much less. Thanks for posting so much.

Matt,

Don has a very significant point here. You have the mark of a true craftsman with a flare of artist very evident in your many details. Most of this is related to your extreme talent working w the tools and materials you probably picked up in the construction industry. There also you probably learned how work produces results. Things get done when you work and you know all about it. You amaze most of us because we know so much less. Thanks for posting so much.

Oh wow thanks for the message, support and vote of confidence in the project mate. 16+ years spent in the army coupled with growing up on a bull breeding station in country QLD taught me how to be versatile and to work hard if you want something. The rest is just luck I guess mate :)

Last edited:
Continuing fairing

IMG_0174.jpg
IMG_0179.jpg
IMG_0180.jpg
IMG_0182.jpg
IMG_0183.jpg

There you go.... on your "fair" skinned beauty again!

Those picts show the blood pumpen through her veins!!

That's it for today and this week. Back and shoulders are feeling the fairing work but she's looking fine and I can take medicine haha.

IMG_0191.jpg

Hey there Matt me mate! How's it going? Well I hope! - Your bud Art

Hey there Matt me mate! How's it going? Well I hope! - Your bud Art

Hi mate. I'm fine thanks buddy. I've run out of Material and there's no more in Perth so am waiting for the delivery from Queensland to arrive. Im also taking this time to rest up a little because my back and knees playing up a bit. Hopefully get back into in the coming days :)

How's are you, the family and MV THE OFFICE going?

Hi mate. I'm fine thanks buddy. I've run out of Material and there's no more in Perth so am waiting for the delivery from Queensland to arrive. Im also taking this time to rest up a little because my back and knees playing up a bit. Hopefully get back into in the coming days :)

How's are you, the family and MV THE OFFICE going?

Matt me Mate!

Glad to hear you are well and that material is coming. :thumb: Family and I doing OK; TY for asking. :thumb:

My office [I'm in it at this moment - similar to nearly every early morn when at home] is as usual pretty damn busy... even on Sunday Morns. That's what I get for having an office in my home and more than one business... there's always something more I want /need to accomplish - Thank God! TF threads and good persons like you give me opportunity to relax brain for periods of time in-office!

Our Tollycraft boat "The Office" (can ya guess why we named her that - lol) is undergoing general repair/maintenance - e.g. rebuilding/replacing heat exchangers on each of the twins as well as maintainers such as new impellers, oil change etc... on engines and gen set. I'm outsourcing those relatively minor ditties to trusted marine mechanic, Garland, who has a successful family run shop at marina where we dock... he's usually backed up month or more. I started talking with him November 2016 about this and he got to it about a week ago. Still waiting to see if heat exchangers have ample meat left for thorough rebuild. Rebuild = $300 +/- each / New = $1,000 +/- each - as long as correct models can be located without needing to do expensive mods to exchangers for getting then onto 40 yr. old marineized chevy-engine blocks. The old exchangers should soon arrive at my house so I can drop em off to Chuck my trusted radiator repair shop... Chuck often refurbishes HE's for marine engine shops in this area.

Hoping either this year's early spring or late fall to find time (time for general boat doings is often elusive to my schedule... being that it is docked 100 miles away from home) to haul "TO" and accomplish new bottom paint/boot-stripe, check-out/probably-replace thru hulls, and give at least the hull (maybe superstructure too) a really good buffing with best compound and marine wax. Of course anode service while on the hard. Thinking about going with aluminum composite anodes this time seeing as TO is always in 99% fresh water. I've read some good reports on aluminum - we'll see what research comes up with before making anode material choice! May just go with Magnesium. Been successfully using Zinc; but, due to family and business requirements... the need to dive each two to three months for scraping surfaces clean (remove oxidation to keep zinc working correctly) can no longer always be upheld.

And, oh yeah... if I can find even more time for boat doings there are a few other wishes I have for getting TO in better condition. Such as... One is to remove entire still good condition metal rub rail [all 84' of it] at superstructure to hull junction. Then repack that junction with new/better sealer (it's still the orig from when manufactured in 1977 - that's 40 yrs. ago!). Would also burnish the rail itself and reapply apply with new fasteners.

I'd like to be able to accomplish most all of the above myself - it's cathartic to my body, mind and soul to do improvements on our boat. I might bring TO back into area close to home for haul so it is easier to accomplish things myself - we'll see!
Cheers!! - Art :speed boat: :D

Last edited:
Wow sounds like you're going to be busy giving TO a birthday mate. She will be loving the attention I'm sure. I'd love to see some pics of your progress mate.

Radar Question. Is it better to place my raydome forward on the roof or aft or doesn't it really matter? It won't be mounted on a tower or anything. I have planned to run it after but am now curious to see what everyone else has done and any pros and cons for either placement site. Cheers folks

This is how I was planning on running it but fixing it straight to the roof not raised.

IMG_8267.JPG
IMG_8265.JPG

Last edited:
Roof mounted aft will somewhat limit your short range performance. A short mast or platform would be better.

Well it's been 12 days since any progress; for various reasons. Today I collected some more fairing material that arrived from the eastern states. This afternoon I bulked out an area with jotafair that was pretty low then I moved on the final fairing and blocking with platinum plus and the longboards. Back in to it tomorrow afternoon. Cheers
IMG_8273.jpg
IMG_8274.jpg
IMG_8275.jpg
IMG_8276.jpg

Cheers!!

Hate to say this... She looks like she got a black eye. There another girl boat near bye that is maybe jealous of the attention you give her and the beauty she is maturing into.

Oh No - - - > Has there been a cat fight, while you were away for some days??!! - LOL

Cheers!!

Hate to say this... She looks like she got a black eye. There another girl boat near bye that is maybe jealous of the attention you give her and the beauty she is maturing into.

Oh No - - - > Has there been a cat fight, while you were away for some days??!! - LOL

Lol. Just getting her ready for when she's painted gloss black mate

Matt, Bro!!

I have my opinion, re the owner-punishments of color black on a boat as well as many other type vehicles... but I ain't gonna tell ya, right now anyway. Caus, I don't want to butt in on NC's parade. If some of the items mentioned do not account for what I know about black I'll be glad to chime in!

In the mean time: I do want to say that a clean, gloss or even semi gloss new black vehicle of any type is joy to behold...

If after hearing points of view... you want [need to have] SOLSTICE black... then black she damn well should be!!! :thumb:
Cheers mate! - Art :speed boat:

Matt, Bro!!

I have my opinion, re the owner-punishments of color black on a boat as well as many other type vehicles... but I ain't gonna tell ya, right now anyway. Caus, I don't want to butt in on NC's parade. If some of the items mentioned do not account for what I know about black I'll be glad to chime in!

In the mean time: I do want to say that a clean, gloss or even semi gloss new black vehicle of any type is joy to behold...

If after hearing points of view... you want [need to have] SOLSTICE black... then black she damn well should be!!! :thumb:
Cheers mate! - Art :speed boat:

Meh. Black "moonstruck duco" she will be mate and that's Something I'm not budging on

I've planned the hull to be black from the early stages mate; hence the insulation, the fairing and the window/door frame colours etc

Salt crust is the only issue that will cause me annoyance but 1st world problems there lol.

Meh. Black "moonstruck duco" she will be mate and that's Something I'm not budging on

I've planned the hull to be black from the early stages mate; hence the insulation, the fairing and the window/door frame colours etc

Salt crust is the only issue that will cause me annoyance but 1st world problems there lol.

Say no more, say no more! My lips are sealed on the color black!! :D

Paint it however whatever sure it'll look great but make sure there's a beer cooler near the duckboard because walking across the cockpit to a galley fridge is truly inconvenient.

Finished work early today so I went down to the boat. I fished fairing around the last porthole and continuing aft, I applied some more jotafair on the low spot. Probably one more pass and it'll be close if not ready for final fairing with platinum plus. Once I'd finished that I went and epoxy glued, bolted, filleted and fibreglassed the Bottom rub rail. I did a crap job at picking a straight piece of timber and as a consequence it is has a twist in it SO I've had to only secure half and when it dries crank the twist out with a ratchet strap then bolt, epoxy glue, fillet and fibreglass it all up then leave it to dry before removing the straps. Ok well that's it for this week. Heading home early because it's date night.
IMG_8304.jpg
IMG_8299.jpg
IMG_8300.jpg
IMG_8301.jpg
IMG_8302.jpg
IMG_8303.jpg

Matt, I'm convinced the whole black is hot thing is overdone. Sure if touched on the outside the surface will feel hotter than a white surface, but the amount extra of that heat that gets to the inside, especially with insulation, is quite small, as much of it is reflected heat from a shiny surface. Otherwise there'd be no black cars. And there is no doubt, black looks fantastic. The only mild negative is it might fade a bit faster and show scratches a bit more over time than lighter colours - so what?

An acquaintance of mine with a Clipper 30, did a full reno on her, and had her repainted a nice professional two pack black, about the same time, and same paint shop I had my Clipper 34 done in white. Mine looks really nice - his looked bloody terrific. So you just keep doin' what you're doin'. :thumb:

Matter of fact, she's for sale even as we speak...well, type anyway. Erik spent a squillion on that boat. Sadly he won't get it back, but he had fun doing it. She still looks great, as that paint job, as shown in the link, is now 5 years old in that photo.
Used Chung Hwa Flybridge for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub

My Clipper Lotus, mirror view...

Attachments

• IMG_0030.jpg
    IMG_0030.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom