Old 08-27-2018, 06:02 AM   #21
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: YellowBird MMSI 367769170
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship m1 #149
Whew! You really can't get much deeper into the disassembly portion of your rehab, I guess! The projected plans sure do make for a nice looking finished product. Having a building available makes a huge difference. We spend an ungainly amount of time covering and covering our boat each time we work on it, and that's on days when we can work on it. Between the extreme heat and heavy rains we've been having, our work opportunity's have been limited. You're very fortunate!

Old 08-27-2018, 08:01 AM   #22
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Wait before going further. If you keep it the way it is now, you will a lot of deck space and easy access to the engine, think about it!

L

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:12 AM   #23
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Drifter View Post
Attachment 80157
Front deck removed.

Still to go: rear deck, front and rear helms, and some hoses.

The hull was starting to feel slightly "floppy" when walking around in it, so getting the stringers fixed was a priority.
Assume there is a good reason you are leaving the engine in place and not doing the same rehab on the stringers that act as engine beds.
It would be a shame to find out in a few years that those too needed rehab. You won't find an easier time to lift that TAMD41.
Old 08-27-2018, 06:57 PM   #24

City: Terrace, BC
I appreciate the interest and the comments/replies.

boomerang, thanks, its easy to take for granted to be able to work inside a building.

Lou_tribal, I thought about that, but it rains a lot where I am. Would go a lot faster, I recon.

koliver, great question/comment. The main engine stringers/beams are hollow box beams, no foam. Stay tuned, as that concern gets addressed.

Your engine question is a very good one, and for me was a bit of a tough call. So before I proceeded further, I consulted two different marine diesel mechanics, and the answers I got weren't easy black and white. They said it depends on usage, proper maintenance etc. I had general agreement that if properly maintained, and not abused, a rebuild at 5k hrs would be too soon. I was asked if it started easily and ran well, which it does, and then if I had any issues like burning oil, and I said no, and the consensus was leave it. This seemed sensible to me.

I did get to know the previous owner enough to trust that he wasn't abusing the engine.

Maintenance I did do was that I removed and thoroughly cleaned the heat exchanger and after cooler, and flushed the freshwater system. Replaced gaskets with the cooling pipes. I replaced the raw water pump. Filters and oil changed. I inspected the turbo (I have turbo experience) and didn't think there was any issues. Replaced the belts.
PNW Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #25

koliver, my engine tag says 41B, and yet it's definitely turbocharged and after cooled, which I thought for sure that makes it a TAMD41B. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	80187
Old 08-27-2018, 07:09 PM   #26

City: NJ
Quote:
koliver, my engine tag says 41B, and yet it's definitely turbocharged and after cooled, which I thought for sure that makes it a TAMD41B. Any ideas?

Attachment 80187

Thatís a 41b, series is tamd41 which includes A thru PA
joekerins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:17 PM   #27
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
One more thing I would do to the engine now that it is totally accessible is to clean the after cooler, assuming it has one. For best results you need to remove it from the engine, disassemble and clean both tube and air sides thoroughly. Then reassemble with new gaskets or o-rings with lots of grease on the sealing surfaces.

On other engines, Cummins after cooled engines in particular, if you don't do this regularly they will fail and cost big bucks to replace or worse salt the engine with salt spray from a sealing surface leak.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:18 PM   #28
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
The best thing here is that as you design from ground up you can plan for an easy access/haul out of the engine, this is something I would put high on my wish list.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:53 PM   #29

Great advice and much appreciated. Intercooler was cleaned, with new o-ring to the turbo pipe. Access for future engine re and re will be incorporated.

Stringer repair started...

Test patch

Name:	IMG_0265.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	80201

My first actual rebuilding starts.
Laying down tape.

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	80202

Epoxy.

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	80203
Old 08-27-2018, 09:59 PM   #30
Guru

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Final Choice
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship 37 M/Y
Unless I missed it, are you going to put it back together the same way? Or will you be changing the layout/cabin area?
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:55 PM   #31
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:

Attachment 80187
I call mine TAMD41s, as they now power a shaft drive, though when I bought them, they were called AD41s, as they had powered a Commander 30, with outdrives. My mechanic (Volvo guy) explained the terminology that way. Perhaps yours came from an outdrive boat too?

Have you the history on the exhaust elbow? I replaced both of mine a couple of years ago, at 6000 hours and 36 years. One was definitely shot. The other likely not far behind.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:59 PM   #32

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
PNW, curious what sort of materials you are considering for rebuilding the house/cabin?
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:10 AM   #33

Love the questions! Curiosity is a virtue!

toocoys, I will be changing the layout to a raised pilot house, hopefully looking like this North Pacific 28.

Name:	NP28 side view.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	80204

koliver, i'm most likely repowered, so your theory has merit. My exhaust was dry stack, so my exhaust elbow isn't supplied with raw water. I am re-using the elbow (stainless). Mock up pictured. I considered a wet exhaust but costs and advice from a boatwright was against it. For fishing, a dry stack is better than a wet exhaust for keeping low speed fumes away from the back of the boat.

Name:	IMG_0997.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	80205

GoneFarrell, materials will be Joubert branded Okume marineply, filet with fumed silica, carbon fibre tape, glass fibre tape, and System Three SilverTip epoxy. Also will be using some Innegra/Basalt hybrid fabric.

One thing I hadn't mentioned yet is that there will be no/zero/ziltch permanent metal fasteners used in construction.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:34 AM   #34

This is what ~$1000CAD of carbon fibre looks like. Engine beams fully reinforced. No more flex. In this picture I'm putting more fibreglass tape on either side of, and overlapping with the carbon fibre stringers. In hindsight, this was probably unnecessary.

Name:	IMG_0363.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	80206

I repacked the stuffing box, and changed the fluid in the VelvetDrive. Helms now removed. My steam engineer friend says new copper pipe for the hydraulics as old pipe becomes brittle and thus difficult to work with.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:03 AM   #35
Guru

City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
One thing to watch for and try to avoid is structural creep which leads to a heavy boat. You said you glassed the sides of your carbon fiber stringers unnecessarily.

That and a dozen other things is what happened when I was building a 14' Sailfish from plans and marine plywood many, many years ago as a teenager. I put gussets in that weren't on the plans, twice as many fastners (yes I used brass nails), made the keel twice as thick as the plans, etc. The boat ended up stout, but heavy!!

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:30 AM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Limon
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
Whew! You really can't get much deeper into the disassembly portion of your rehab, I guess! The projected plans sure do make for a nice looking finished product. Having a building available makes a huge difference. We spend an ungainly amount of time covering and covering our boat each time we work on it, and that's on days when we can work on it. Between the extreme heat and heavy rains we've been having, our work opportunity's have been limited. You're very fortunate!
Boy that's the truth! A good work spot out of the weather, the bugs and earshot of neighbors makes any job more enjoyable... This is a nice project!
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:15 AM   #37

Update:

Name:	IMG_1274.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	80611

Epoxy coating on the inside. Quite possibly an unnecessary step?

But aesthetically it helps it look/feel like new. At the very least it should kill any remaining "old boat smell". hahaha......

The blank canvas is ready.

The real fun is about to begin.....
Old 09-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #38
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: 28' Spira San Miguel
I love gut and build jobs. Gives me the itches think about the fiberglass and epoxy. No matter. 3M makes Tyvek jumpsuits.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #39
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Itís a Hendo and Flic displacement Special.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I love gut and build jobs.

Weirdo lol ;-)
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #40

City: NW Washington State
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 37' converted gillnetter/crabber
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I love reading about other people's gut and build jobs.
Fixed.

Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. ~The Dalai Lama
Sabre602 is offline   Reply With Quote