Contract Signed / New Build Underway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New technology typically drops over time after introduction. Look at chart plotters and laptop software.

Progress Report

I spoke with Scott this week who advised the yard would be starting the layup of our boats deck using the new deck mold. While some people are comfortable sitting back and waiting months if not years for their boat to arrive and not followup often, we take a different approach and enjoy checking in weekly (sorry Scott). We found that if you track progress regularly you are in a better position still make changes along the way (not advised but sometimes required) before its too late. Working with a smaller company allows us to enjoy a higher level of personal working relationship for the entire project, more enjoyable and fun when compared to some larger boat building companies. The entire discussion of a boat companies size and related pro's & con's is best saved for a separate thread and another time but I will mention the following; we have found working with a mid size company offers the best or all worlds.

We hope to have some new photos soon and will post. We really expects things to start picking up the pace starting this week. We cannot wait for the boat to arrive in June.

John

San Diego Boat Show

While Scott and I had kicked around the idea of entering the new boat in the SD Boat Show this June we decided it would be a little to close to boats arrival and who needs the added stress. So for now we don't expect to show the boat until possibly the Newport Beach Boat Show in September or wait until next January in SD. For those who never attended the Newport Beach Boat Show it is the premier southern California Boat Show (largest) but compared to east coast standards (Miami) still not that large. We enjoy the smaller venues like Trawler Fest's (no longer held in San Diego) and the two shows in San Diego and wouldn't mind waiting but will let Scott make the final decision.

I was planning on presenting a short seminar about building a new boat during the show in June and may still proceed but without the boat the level of excitement has dropped slightly. I will make a final decision later this month. If anyone plans to in the SD area and attends the show let me know and we talk about boats.

John T.

A question based on curiosity so feel free not to answer. Why would you put your boat in a show? Is it part of your agreement or what otherwise leads you to do so?

Boat Show

The question of entering ones boat into a show is a personal decision. We do not like strange people walking aboard our boats but enjoy promoting the boating life style thus we try to find balance. In regards to the new boat we told Scott we would let him enter it at a couple of shows. I believe this boat needs to be shown in southern California allowing trawler enthusiasts to see a great boat and value.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
The question of entering ones boat into a show is a personal decision. We do not like strange people walking aboard our boats but enjoy promoting the boating life style thus we try to find balance. In regards to the new boat we told Scott we would let him enter it at a couple of shows. I believe this boat needs to be shown in southern California allowing trawler enthusiasts to see a great boat and value.

John

I respect your reasons and it makes sense. Just not something we would ever be able to bring ourselves to do. If it hadn't yet been delivered, that's one thing, but after we have all our things on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a financial incentive for you to let the builder show the boat in a couple of boat shows?

Is there a financial incentive for you to let the builder show the boat in a couple of boat shows?

Respectfully I say... I feel that's John's personal business.

Respectfully I say... I feel that's John's personal business.

With all of the sharing of information and transparency of this build, which I appreciate and am enjoying reading about, I was curious about whether a boat show was part of the deal since he brought it up. I think it is a reasonable request for a builder to make, especially with some of the modifications that will be included on future builds.

Last edited:
FWIW, I was and still am considering an Elling, it's a Dutch build for those not familiar. During my discussion with the company we hit on allowing the boat to be shown in the CT show, they offered financial compensation in various forms from paying dock fees to throwing in extra options. I have know idea if all companies work this way, but that was my experience..great thread BTW, thanks.

FWIW, I was and still am considering an Elling, it's a Dutch build for those not familiar. During my discussion with the company we hit on allowing the boat to be shown in the CT show, they offered financial compensation in various forms from paying dock fees to throwing in extra options. I have know idea if all companies work this way, but that was my experience..great thread BTW, thanks.

It certainly makes sense for Elling with their shortage of US presence.

Boat Shows

With all of the sharing of information and transparency of this build, which I appreciate and am enjoying reading about, I was curious about whether a boat show was part of the deal since he brought it up. I think it is a reasonable request for a builder to make, especially with some of the modifications that will be included on future builds.

This is a fair question and the subject is a reality in the boat building business. When you think about the relativity small number of new "trawlers" delivered each year, any chance a builder has to showcase their latest creation can be priceless to their continued success. We recognize the dilemma both builders and perspective buyers face when discussing a new boat and don't mind helping out as long as we are treated right.

Over the years we have enjoyed getting aboard many newly commissioned boats including the first Nordhavn's 56' motor sailor which was a real treat and had me thinking "what if" for awhile. If I never had this opportunity to board this boat I would not have given it a thought. To this day I think if that boat was about 10' shorter I would have researched it further and who knows, but that was many years ago.

Fast forward to 2007 and the first time I boarded the H38PH at the Seattle Boat Show. I had never heard of the boat, was not even looking for a semi-displacement hull boat at the time but was blown away with the size, quality and price of the boat. It was that one time aboard that stayed me the next eight years that lead us back to Scott. I don't think a brochure or photo's on the internet alone would be enough to make us travel to Seattle to see this great boat.

I guess we are like some owners who don't mind sharing their new boat as long as it doesn't interfere with cruising plans and the proper precautions are taken to protect the boat. When we displayed our one year old N40 at Trawler Fest we had Nordhavn put down plastic on the carpets and we placed a piece of tape across the open doorway leading to the OSR. I felt people could see enough without having to enter the room and sit on the bed. Even when with a boat listed for sale our trusted salesman knew what we liked and didn't like and took precautions.

So did we agree to let Scott show our new boat a couple of times - yes. In fact it started out as my idea. I was the one who kept telling Scott the H38PH is going to have a significant impact on the under 40' semi-displacement trawler market and he needs to get these great boats showcased outside the PNW. I'm not sure how many times we will show the boat but likely twice then limit any showings to "one on one" for boaters in southern California who expressed interest in the boat and not ready to fly to Seattle. We will take all the same protective precautions on the boat as we have done in the past and hope for the best. Again, we love boating and enjoy doing our small part introducing others to this great life style.

John

We were quite happy to have our new 38PH in the Seattle Boat Show in January and were comfortable that it would be carefully attended to by Scott and his crew. It was on display for about 10 days and lots of our friends got a chance to see it as well. I am sure Scott managed to sell a couple of boats as a result of it being there and I couldn't see any problems with any damage or wear from all of the visitors. I wasn't using the boat at the time and there were still some details to be completed.

I am proud of the boat. I trust Scott to look after it. Scott and Lisa have been more than generous with their time and advice on the build of the boat and the learning curve of handling the boat. It is nice to be able to return the favor a bit. I even authorized them to take some potential buyers out for a ride on the boat. While doing so, Scott discovered something he didn't like and had it fixed.

Win win is when everyone is happy.

Progress Report

Today we received a nice photo of the new deck mold lay up with our boat deck. We are not sure if this work completed last week or earlier this week but we are pleased to see this progress. Once the fiberglass is fully cured the deck will be removed from the mold, flipped over then bonded & fastened to the hull. Once this important step is completed the hull be structurally sound to start adding walls and floors.

A few interesting observations from the photo includes the amount of missing panels / walls / roofs. You may recall we had Scott redesign the PH roof and windows so that resulted in another new piece of tooling which we viewed photo's a few months ago. It's amazing the amount of investment that goes into redesigning a few things (sorry Scott).

Attachments

• Deck Lay up.jpg
    Deck Lay up.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 97
We were quite happy to have our new 38PH in the Seattle Boat Show in January and were comfortable that it would be carefully attended to by Scott and his crew. It was on display for about 10 days and lots of our friends got a chance to see it as well. I am sure Scott managed to sell a couple of boats as a result of it being there and I couldn't see any problems with any damage or wear from all of the visitors. I wasn't using the boat at the time and there were still some details to be completed.

I am proud of the boat. I trust Scott to look after it. Scott and Lisa have been more than generous with their time and advice on the build of the boat and the learning curve of handling the boat. It is nice to be able to return the favor a bit. I even authorized them to take some potential buyers out for a ride on the boat. While doing so, Scott discovered something he didn't like and had it fixed.

We enjoyed spending time aboard your boat, and visiting with the staff aboard. I assure you we were very careful and respectful (and properly supervised). Thank you for this opportunity, it was generous of you.

Getting Back In Shape

While the following may be slightly off subject (like music) there is a specific aspect of owning a boat which Mary and I are very anxious to start enjoying again - "the overall healthier life style". We wrote about this in our small book "Life's a journey, why not live it aboard a trawler" and discovered we were both in better shape when we owned a boat and spent time aboard.

Finding the ambition to go for multiple walks a day, along the bay is a little easier when you are on the water. Pushing dock carts full of food and provisions up & down the ramp at low tide works wonders on the legs and lower back. Washing the boat after a day out does a good job stretching out the muscles. Taking a day long cruise in open ocean requires the use of muscles throughout the body that sometimes we forgot we have.

While we both try to eat healthy and overall do a good a job, we do even a better job when "aboard" including many more Bar-B-Q dinners and fresh seafood. The only downside of where we dock the boat are the two excellent restaurants within a two minute walk and downtown San Diego within a 5 minute car ride with some of the worlds best restaurants which are very tempting.

In addition to the physical exercise we also enjoy and appreciate the emotional sense of calmness we get out of being aboard and cruising the coast. Boating helped us both recover from Mary's difficult three year battle with neuropathic pain and proved more effective than any medicine the doctors could provide. I also found there was nothing better then getting off work, driving to the boat and stepping aboard to help leave all the stress behind. We cannot wait to start this great life style again and know that everyone who has a boat today can likely relate. Enjoy your time aboard!

John

Nice report as to WHY!!

Wifey B: Mental and emotional side of things before I get physical. :D

We lived on the lake and except when winter and dark we'd often hit the water after work, even if for just an hour. Heck, in the winter we might just go sit in the boat in the slip in the dark. I could see when hubby had a tough day and we'd just head straight to the boat. Immediately, the tension left his body. Right before my eyes I could see it. Then I learned the same feeling. He always said that the wind in his face, the water in his eyes, just wiped all other thoughts away.

On the physical, we're pretty physical at home. In fact, on cruises getting in the basketball and tennis not as easy. However, walking. Who wants to walk at home? Not me. You've seen it all a trillion bazillion times. A walk to nowhere? Oh, that's the treadmill. But at least there you can watch tv or something. However, cruising, a different port, a different scene, a motivation to walk. One day not long ago we were walking and someone asked where we were headed. I said, "Don't know until we get there." I love NYC for that reason. You just head out walking in some direction and doesn't matter where you end up cause trains and buses and taxis to take you back.

The other stuff you mention, I don't do so much. :blush: I do have one form of exercise I like a lot that burns about 200 calories an hour. :)

Then there's the sun and fresh air and outdoors and all that. If you protect yourself from the sun, then I think being outdoors is healthy in so many ways, physically and mentally. You don't see Seasonal Affective Disorder on Cruisers on the water. Just something so real about being out in the world, absorbing nature.

As to the food bit, we eat healthy at home, perhaps even more so than on the boat, so can't claim that one. We do eat more seafood when cruising, but that's about the only difference.

"The other stuff you mention, I don't do so much. :blush: I do have one form of exercise I like a lot that burns about 200 calories an hour. :)"

Pilates?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

"The other stuff you mention, I don't do so much. :blush: I do have one form of exercise I like a lot that burns about 200 calories an hour. :)"

Pilates?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Wifey B: :ermm: No. Pilates burns 360 calories an hour but not nearly as much fun. ;)

We went aboard your boat at the show and after several years looking, decided to buy a Helmsman 38 after about 20 minutes on board. It is great to follow you and Johns posts after I had already ordered the boat- validation is good. Heading over to Fuzhou China next month to check on the build. Hope to see the new house design. All very exciting.

We went aboard your boat at the show and after several years looking, decided to buy a Helmsman 38 after about 20 minutes on board. It is great to follow you and Johns posts after I had already ordered the boat- validation is good. Heading over to Fuzhou China next month to check on the build. Hope to see the new house design. All very exciting.

So, are you getting the new house design and changes initiated by John?

Wifey B: :ermm: No. Pilates burns 360 calories an hour but not nearly as much fun. ;)

New exer-sitions available/required. Up to 500 cals per hour joyfully attainable! :dance:

congratulations

Congratulations on your new boat. Sorry I missed you in Seattle. When did you purchase the boat? I hope my posts didn't influence you too much ��

John

Yes. All great improvements to the boat.

Congratulations on your new boat. Sorry I missed you in Seattle. When did you purchase the boat? I hope my posts didn't influence you too much ��

John
Your post did influence many of the features I selected. I really appreciate your input on some of the design changes that have now been incorporated into the 38E.

I placed the order in early March, the hull is already in lay-up.

A look at anchor positions

A while back I mentioned to Scott we were looking to delete the SS anchor hull guard on our boat only after confirming it was more of a cosmetic thing than practical guard due to its location. I recaledl on a few of our other boats the anchor platform was a little too close to the hull and we had to be very careful retrieving the anchor so not to let it hit the hull and chip the gelcoat (ouch) but that was always below the guard or plate.

I believe on the H38E there is enough clearance and this should not be an issue so we have decided to option for a slightly cleaner look this time around and delete the plate. I'm sure the first time the swinging anchor hits the bow that high up I will be swearing to myself "why didn't I just leave well enough alone" but hopefully not.

Remember also that we have extended the bow railing over and beyond the anchor pulpit which will allow for a little better handling during release and retrieval operations.

John

Helmsman Owners Site - Coming Soon

As if I don't bug Scott enough about our boat and continue to bounce around even more enhancements there was one "no cost" suggestion I have been pushing the past few months that is starting to make some traction. It is the establishment of a "Helmsman Owners Site" where owners can log in and discuss all aspects of their boats and adventures.

I found the amount of information and assistance on the Nordhavn Owners site very valuable and enjoyed it for many years up until last month when I decided it was time to let go and focus totally on the new boat. Needless to say I am very excited about this great opportunity to meet owners across the country and learn from their experiences. Despite being around boats my entire life and owning a few different makes and models I look at every new boat as a new adventure and enjoy learning from others.

While it will take Scott and Lisa a few more weeks to have the site up and running I'm very pleased to see it will occur. No worries for TF fans who have been following this thread since I plan to continue to write about our new build journey here for a long time assuming the folks in charge don't get tired of me. :)

John T.

Pilates?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Shouldn't that be Pirates?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom