Old 06-08-2016, 01:48 PM   #501
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
For those of you with fond memories with your father, don't take that for granted as many, including both of us, have only bad memories with ours. Unfortunately, in today's world, those fond memories seem even less common. There are many children out there who long for that you had.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #502
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
For those of you with fond memories with your father, don't take that for granted as many, including both of us, have only bad memories with ours. Unfortunately, in today's world, those fond memories seem even less common. There are many children out there who long for that you had.
Yup. I never took the relationship I had with my parents for granted. I knew I was fortunate from the time I was a kid.

Parenting is a full time job that, as near as I can tell, never really ends. It is unfortunate that there are so many that don't seem to realize it.

Kind of like a boat. Don't buy one if you can't handle the maintenance.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:12 PM   #503
Guru

Progress Report

I would like to thank all the TF members for their kind words and related stories. Very much appreciated.

Now back to the boat. While we do not have any new photo's to share today but hope to see some very soon along with an estimated completion date from the yard. We receive our renewed Passports this week which is great since we plan to the take the boat to Ensenada, Mexico this summer for a long weekend and you cannot re-enter the USA from Mexico without a passport.

At this point in the build process with the insurance, financing, LLC and marina slip all pretty much on hold, there is not much more we can do until we have firm shipment date. Once we know that then its made rush to the notary and signing lots and lots of documents. When we purchased our last boat (N3522) we spent over $350 in notary costs (ouch). Funny thing about a new boat is the non-boat related costs that you never think about budgeting.

Well that's about it for today, thanks again to everyone who is following us on our journey.

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #504
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
John,

So sorry for your loss. Nice recollections. Made me recall many of my great memories! Thanks for sharing.

I'm curious (and ignorant, some say ) about what's included in a new boat buy. Do you get all USCG safety equipment in the boat upon delivery or must you provide your own PFDs, flares, lines, ground tackle, etc.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:46 PM   #505

City: Chesapeake Bay to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
We had the same boat built for us in 2008/9. We moved aboard when we took possession. over 7 years and 18,000 miles. We have enjoyed it every minute. If you have any questions we are glad to share our experience and our little tweeks to outfit her.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:29 PM   #506
Guru

New Boat Equipment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
John,

So sorry for your loss. Nice recollections. Made me recall many of my great memories! Thanks for sharing.

I'm curious (and ignorant, some say ) about what's included in a new boat buy. Do you get all USCG safety equipment in the boat upon delivery or must you provide your own PFDs, flares, lines, ground tackle, etc.
The short answer is yes! If you look at the Helmsman web-site you will see a complete list of all standard equipment. I don't believe we ever purchased a new boat that didn't come with standard safety equipment. We will add the EPIR or emergency locating transmitter at a cost or around $750.

John
Old 06-11-2016, 10:17 PM   #507
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
The short answer is yes! If you look at the Helmsman web-site you will see a complete list of all standard equipment. I don't believe we ever purchased a new boat that didn't come with standard safety equipment. We will add the EPIR or emergency locating transmitter at a cost or around $750.

John
We've found the same on new boats. I think there is an imperative to deliver a boat that can be legally and safely operated.

It was not necessarily that way on the lake, on smaller boats.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 PM   #508
Guru

Progress Report - Early June

Yesterday was a good day with Scott providing over 20 photos of the boat. Progress can clearly be seen inside the boat with the new salon / galley design is starting to take shape. We are very pleased with the progress the past week and the ECD of mid July.
The photo on the left was taken from the pilothouse looking aft. We can see the L-Shape sofa to the left and galley to the right including the sink area next to the salon door entry, cut out for the stove/oven and box for the refrigerator. The photo on the right is the view upon entering the salon/galley from the aft deck. Large and open are the words that come mind as we look forward. We can see the day head to port, entry into the PH in the center and salon area to starboard.

Remember I cautioned that is not good to make changes once you sign the contract? Well we did it again today, after seeing these photos and the clean forward bulkhead (port side) I spoke with Scott about possibly deleting the future cabinet. Long story short we decided to go with a smaller Microwave oven in the center cabinet with wood trim.

More photos to follow during the week.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9377.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	53098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Salon & Galley 50%.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	53099  
Old 06-15-2016, 09:14 AM   #509

It is great to see these pictures of your boat being built. We did not get too many when ours was built. It looks like you have flipped the main salon port for starboard? That speaks volumes about the builder. Extensive ability to customize the layout. What will our refrigerator and freezer be? Will they be the drawer type?
Old 06-15-2016, 10:12 PM   #510
Guru

Pilothouse Photo

The photos below show progress on the PH. One of the reasons we decided on the H38 was its very large and well thought out PH. The first photo is taking from the OSR looking aft were we can see the custom captains seating area along with the L-Shape seating area to port. The electrical cabinet directly behind and below the captain seat is ready for the circuit breaker panel. Having easy direct access to the CB panel is another nice to have. Below the L-shaped seating area is plenty of additional storage. Things are looking good. The second photo looking to starboard shows the map storage area and steering station. More photos to follow tomorrow.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PH 50%.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	53123   Click image for larger version

Name:	PH #2 50%.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	53124  
Old 06-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #511
Guru

Progress Report

This photo of the front of the boat shows the new PH roof which is less dramatic (no more arch) providing a more serious look. The windows have also been slightly tweaked to offer just the right angle (outboard windows only). We really like the use of three medium / large windows compared to more smaller windows we had on the Nordies. If you very hard you can see the new roof has been installed on the salon and extends all the way to the transom providing even more overhead weather protection. The number of enhancements on this boat is remarkable and to be honest we lost track. I know when we finally see the completed boat we find more surprises.

Another aspect of this boat we are excited about is the deep & sharp entry. All our Nordies had a blunt bow which pushes water to the side. Being able to cut into a wave or swell is something we look forward to returning back to like we had on our smaller fishing boats.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fwd Exterior Jun 50.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	53164  
Old 06-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #512
Guru

Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhana View Post
It is great to see these pictures of your boat being built. We did not get too many when ours was built. It looks like you have flipped the main salon port for starboard? That speaks volumes about the builder. Extensive ability to customize the layout. What will our refrigerator and freezer be? Will they be the drawer type?
Great to hear from another Helmsman owner. We will stay in touch over the next few months / years. The refrigerator will be same as the unit used on the 37 Sedan. Thanks

John
Old 06-16-2016, 08:53 PM   #513

I like the changes to the roof and the windows. did they narrow up the verticle structure between the windows? It looks like it is a bit narrower. We find the entry is great going into the seas and even in a following see there is enough buoyancy forward that she does not bow steer.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:54 PM   #514
Guru

Photo of OSR

In this photo we can see excellent progress on the OSR. One of advantages of an Island Bed forward is the amount of storage below the bed and the shelving on both sides. The escape hatch is overhead provides both natural light and of course an emergency escape. Additional storage below the side shelving and two hangar lockers forward provides ample storage for long weekends or even living aboard.

The head is aft to port and separate shower to starboard, which is another nice touch in this boat. The day head off the salon / galley also includes a shower. Amazing to have two bathrooms on a 38 footer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	OSR Jun 50%.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	53206  
Old 06-18-2016, 12:13 AM   #515
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
In this photo we can see excellent progress on the OSR. One of advantages of an Island Bed forward is the amount of storage below the bed and the shelving on both sides. The escape hatch is overhead provides both natural light and of course an emergency escape. Additional storage below the side shelving and two hangar lockers forward provides ample storage for long weekends or even living aboard.

The head is aft to port and separate shower to starboard, which is another nice touch in this boat. The day head off the salon / galley also includes a shower. Amazing to have two bathrooms on a 38 footer.
The day head is a nice feature on the Helmsman yachts. The only downside is the space list and another head to maintain. The upside is convenience and redundancy.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-18-2016, 12:38 PM   #516
Guru

Windows

Quote:
I like the changes to the roof and the windows. did they narrow up the verticle structure between the windows? It looks like it is a bit narrower. We find the entry is great going into the seas and even in a following see there is enough buoyancy forward that she does not bow steer.
The size and spacing of the forward facing PH windows should be the same. It may the new roof line which make them appear to be closer. We did discuss modifying their overall size to something a little smaller for protection from crashing waves but the reality is that we have no business being out in that type of weather. Scott also reported current and previous owners never reported an issue with the windows. So if isn't broken why fix it? Coming from Nordhavns which are designed to cross oceans thus require smaller windows and dark inside we are looking forward to a little more natural light and improved visibility. The fact the windows are sloped inward provides that little extra level of safety if we were to get caught in bad weather and experienced waves crashing head on.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #517
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Great looking rig. Thanks for the pics..!

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum
Old 06-19-2016, 03:54 PM   #518

We are among the H 38 owners who have tested the windows and can report no problems with the windows. On three occasions we have been able to put the nose through a wave and take solid water to the windscreen. Solid green water. The first time we were caught in a squall at the mouth of the Choptank. It got so rough I just pointed her into the seas and held position till it blew over. The waves were so large that when we went off the top, as the bow fell into the trough the engine hatch would open a crack and then close with a bang. The waves were very short and we hit a set where the result was inevitable: we submerged the bow. It had been a warm day so one side door was open, When we submerged the bow we took a slug of water into the pilot house and into the salon. WE knew better, but had forgotten to close the door As the boat was falling the binocs lifted off the dash board and landed on the keyboard of the navigation computer and broke three keys. The GHJ were never right after that. The other two times we put the bow into waves and took solid water, we were at the mouth of the Potomac. That is a particularly nasty area with a well deserved reputation. In all cases, the boat performed well, it was no reflection on the boat at all, we were out in so seriously rough water. Cristina and I are known for that. WE are not fair weather sailors and will take our 38 out in weather that most other boaters don't venture into. We have no intention of crossing open oceans, but as far as coastal exploration, we are adventurous.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #519
Guru

Quote:
WE are not fair weather sailors and will take our 38 out in weather that most other boaters don't venture into. We have no intention of crossing open oceans, but as far as coastal exploration, we are adventurous.
That is one word for it...

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-25-2016, 08:37 PM   #520
Guru

Progress Report

A few photos from last week continue to show progress with the interior. One photo shows the near completion of the forward galley storage cabinets and the other shows the OSR entry. Due to the low profile PH on this boat the designer went with a neat entry design. Instead of a full size door there is a top side slider that meets a smaller half door. Something similar to what you would see on many sailboats when entering the salon from the outside. Again something different for us and we think is cool.

Since these photos are now one week old we expect to see the start of wiring in the next set of photos. We are getting closer to realizing out next dream.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Galley 2 draws June.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	53523   Click image for larger version

Name:	OSR Door Jun.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	53524