Old 05-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #441
Guru

Airconditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
It's a lot easier to forego air conditioning in San Diego or Northern CA than in hotter and more humid climates like Houston or the east coast, especially Florida. But it might be a regretted decision when one cruises away from the moderate climes.

I've never had air conditioning on my boat, but I never leave NorCal, so it's not a problem. Even in the summertime in the fresh waters of the CA Delta where it might reach 100*F during the day, it usually drops into the 70s at night. During the day, a short swim and shade from a cockpit canvas often helps with the heat.

Not sure if I mislead anyone on the A/C. This boat will have reverse cycle A/C and heat for when we are dock side. Remember our style of boating is spending time at a marina not so much on the hook at night. That's just us.

John

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:59 PM   #442
Guru

Flipping Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Another key to building new is a plan to retain the vessel for a significant number of years. The initial depreciation hit requires some years of enjoyment as pay off.

Flipping a boat soon after it is built is for multi-billionaires.

I totally agree that flipping boats is not the best investment strategy for most people. While our history has equaled a few less years of ownership than others, we have faired well on all boats due in part to understanding the boat, its marketplace, getting the right purchase price, timing and of course luck. At some point I plan to expand on this strategy which has allowed an average Joe (OK, John) like myself to have enjoyed the number boats we have owned over the years without going broke.

John T.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:00 PM   #443
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
John, you didn't mislead anyone. Typical TF thread drift. Happens every time someone grasps a tangent then a few folks run with the assumptions starting a thread within a thread.

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:51 PM   #444

City: Edmonds
Our new Helmsman 38 PH arrived in Seattle 5/9 after loading in Shanghai on 4/15 and proceeding via Pusan, Korea and Long Beach on Cosco America. The boat build started in late October so the build time was about 7 months. During the process I received email and photo updates on a bi weekly basis. Scott and Lisa Helker, the Helmsman importers at Waterline Boats in Seattle provided frequent communication exchanges between the factory and myself as our preferences took shape. Scott also visited the factory during our build.

The delivery process in Seattle was superb. I accompanied Scott, Lisa and staff on a tow boat to meet Cosco America in the Seattle harbor. Rain Shadow (our boat name) was first off loaded on shore for inspection and acceptance. It was then craned back up to the ship, transported over to the other side and lowered in to Puget Sound where we towed it out of the harness, added fuel and fired the engine. Just like that we were underway!

Rain Shadow was shipped under shrink wrap and arrived perched high and proud on the bow of the container ship. Somewhere along the way the shrink wrap has torn, likely near Seattle since it was clean, dry and all the wrapped components were in place on the bridge. The interior was incredibly clean, the joinery, cabinets and finishes are impeccable. Every door, drawer and hatch fit like a glove and operated freely. I have bought a lot of cars, a few boats and built several homes in my time and none came to me as well prepared as Rain Shadow.

My buying experience with Scott and Lisa at Waterline, the US importer for Helmsman, was equally satisfying. They are quickly responsive, informed, professional and straightforward in manner. Selecting a boat is intensely personal so I will not tout a Helmsman for everyone but I am confident in endorsing the Waterline Boat team for establishing and sustaining trust and consistency through the buying, building and delivery process.
lashobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:31 AM   #445
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashobe View Post
Our new Helmsman 38 PH arrived in Seattle 5/9 after loading in Shanghai on 4/15 and proceeding via Pusan, Korea and Long Beach on Cosco America. The boat build started in late October so the build time was about 7 months. During the process I received email and photo updates on a bi weekly basis. Scott and Lisa Helker, the Helmsman importers at Waterline Boats in Seattle provided frequent communication exchanges between the factory and myself as our preferences took shape. Scott also visited the factory during our build.

So, how long from arrival to delivery to you? Was the boat fully equipped at the factory or is there extensive commissioning still to be done?
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #446

City: Edmonds
Commissioning here in Lake Union will involve installation of the Garmin electronics suite, a dinghy hoist, a Bimini and a stern thruster. Scott has tightly scheduled each and we will close and take delivery two weeks after off loading in Seattle...assuming no glitches.

The boat was shipped from Shanghai with the Cummins 425 hp diesel and engine electronics, hydronic heating system, galley ice maker, refrigerator and propane stove installed, all leather interior cushions and vinyl on the bridge, bow thruster, all railings and swim step, radar and antennae mast, AGM batteries, Sea Hawk bottom paint, granite counter tops, etc. The workmanship is excellent.
lashobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #447
Veteran Member

City: Tsawwassen/Point Roberts
Vessel Name: Tolly Roger
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 SC
Congratulations !!
Love the look of your new boat!
Enjoyed watching the videos that were posted of the off loading including going through the locks!
Tolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:29 PM   #448
Guru

Progress Report - Real Time

Its been an exciting day exchanging emails with Scott who is at the yard this week and likely not sleeping a whole lot. The first email included a pleasant surprise that our boat will be the first with the all new swim platform which the yard felt was required to match the enhanced non-slip deck design. As an added bonus the tooling was designed to allow for easy installation of "Staples" which we decided today to include on the boat. I know, don't add, but this is the fun part of boating - creating something new.

The second email was related to the open space we designed above the Washer/Dryer cabinet. I asked Scott if we had enough room for a small freezer but it turned out to be a little small so agreed to add one shelf and leave it as an open cabinet which Mary will find good use.

Then there were a few other smaller tweaks discussed prior to the trip that we needed to finalize. All this and no photos of the exterior! I think Scott is teasing us a little and expect to some great pictures later this evening.

Needless to say "today was a good day"

Tomorrow Mary and I are planning to drive down to San Diego to check on our pending boat slip then to West Marine for a little shopping.

More to follow tomorrow evening.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:43 AM   #449
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Pictures, we want pictures. You'll killin' us with anticipation. I count only 8 progress pictures in this entire 9 page thread.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:38 AM   #450
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
My estimate is the boat will complete by mid June then ship. Scott will provide a firm ECD later this week once he arrives at the yard.
So the boat arrived one month early, great news!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #451
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
While folding canvas tops are the most likely approach we are talking about a custom hard top of sort over the flybridge seating area. We will need to look at costs associated with this "nice to have".
I realize that I'm joining this thread late but in reading it up to this point..."If you decide to go the hard top route, you will never regret it!"
Old 05-14-2016, 11:15 AM   #452
Guru

Quote:
I will discuss the 90% rule more in upcoming posts but basically it makes us look seriously at how we plan to use the boat (no dreaming allowed). We knew we wanted a lot from this boat including west coast cruising in open ocean with distance between ports averaging about 40 miles (no place to hide when the weather turns poor),.........

Now that we had an honest understanding how we would use the boat we had to look at what size boat we really needed for two of us. One mistake we see so many people make is buying a boat for the occasional family or friends who may visit and not the people who will use the boat 90% of the time. ............

These basic guidelines combined with the need for a little more speed than a FD hull could provide, had us decide on a semi-displacement type hull.
I agree (having experienced similar thoughts)and this is good advice when purchasing any boat!
Old 05-14-2016, 11:25 AM   #453
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
My current boat is my 13th (or so, I have lost count) boat, but the first new one. One of my reasons for buying it was that I wanted the reliability that comes with new. In retrospect, I realize that a new boat with complicated systems requires a year or two of shakedown before it becomes optimally reliable. In that regard, I believe that a 1 or 2 year old boat, commissioned and maintained by a knowledgeable and experienced owner, is better than new.
I have been down this same trail since 1995 and have arrived at the very same conclusion. (Although I'm only on boat #9.) John, obviously enjoys the new boat process which IMO is a big part of boat ownership for him. I suffer from a little bit of that myself but my experience has resulted in adapting MYTravler's philosophy on buying a boat.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #454
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
So the boat arrived one month early, great news!
No, Lashobe's is the one that arrived.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #455
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
He was being honest, and was only expressing his opinion. I can't see why that should bother anyone. I hope no one is offended when I admit that I didn't buy my boat for its looks.
I couldn't agree more! John's comment on trawler looks did not offend me in the least!
Old 05-14-2016, 11:51 AM   #456
Guru

Quote:
We went aboard via the aft deck starboard side boarding gate ........
I cannot properly express my deep satisfaction at having a side access for boarding! Whether in a slip, loading groceries, boarding a shore boat at Catalina,etc, our starboard boarding door is worth its weight in gold!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0673.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	51950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1473.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	51951  
Old 05-15-2016, 11:18 AM   #457
Guru

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I cannot properly express my deep satisfaction at having a side access for boarding! Whether in a slip, loading groceries, boarding a shore boat at Catalina,etc, our starboard boarding door is worth its weight in gold!
Thanks for joining in on our journey. Beautiful boat, I especially like the curved transom corners which was one change I couldn't make on the H38E. Appreciate your comments.

John
Old 05-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #458
Guru

Today was a good day

I may have used this term before on TF, but for those who are wondering what the heck this has to do with building a boat let me just say that for us, life is full of unexpected peaks and valleys and at times a few more valleys. So when we have an exceptionally good day I usually take time to notice and thank god.

Yesterday was one of those days. We had planned to leave Daisy at the vet and drive to SD (100 miles) to take care a list of items. It was time we locked in on our slip at Sunroad Marina, I needed to visit West Marine and Mary wanted to do shopping at the beach. We woke to the first real overcast day with slight drizzle (May Gray). Mary hates dark cloudy days and said we not going. After a few cups of coffee and the ongoing debate about leaving Daisy at the hospital for the time (she is our 16 yr old Chihuahua who went blind & lost her hearing last year) I told Mary lets just take Daisy with us and go. She agreed and we soon got in the car and started driving south. Daisy no longer likes car drives and we have to put her in a small cage where she stresses out until we get her out (Not fun). While she didn't do good she did a little better.

We arrived the marina two hours later (California traffic even on Saturdays) and got Daisy out the cage she immediately began to calm down as she smelled the water and possibly remembered all the great memories we had here. While talking with the office manager about the very few available slips open (total of three in the 40 - 45 range) she told us of an all natural medication designed to calm down animals (and humans). Another tenant with a small dog who walked in behind us endorsed the supplement which we actually tried once (watered down) and didn't work. We borrowed a gate key and walked out towards the docks feeling hopeful the supplement would work the second time around. After walking the docks we decided on "H" dock and a 45' x 16' slip that overlooks downtown SD and is within a couple of slips where this all began with N4050. It felt like we were coming home.

Next we drove to the local pharmacy, picked up the supplement for Daisy and Mary wasted no time giving her a few drops. From there we went down the block to West Marine where I looked at Simard displays. A few months ago we decided to stay with Furuno but recently we heard about some issues with the newer systems. I spoke with Furuno tech support last week and confirmed while there have been some issues they have either been resolved or working them. I really like their level of tech support and reputation and have not given up on Furuno but felt I should consider all options. I like the Simard displays which offer both push button and touch screen 12" and 16" displays. They are user friendly allowing me to navigate through a number of desired arrangements within just a few minutes. Since we already planned on the Simrad AP and VHF we may just go with their complete system. We still have a few weeks to make our final decision.

Next we drove to the beach where Mary spent time shopping while Daisy and I walked across the street to Mission Bay and watched over all the boats anchored out for the weekend. The beach was packed (the overcast sky didn't keep anyone home) and the temperature was a balmy 64 degrees with no wind. After an hour and half we were all back in the car, it was around 4:00pm and decision time. We called a couple of local restaurants to reconfirm they were pet friendly and decided to try one of our favorite new places at the edge of downtown in Seaport Village. As we were driving across town Mary noticed Daisy was laying down in her cage, this was not normal. We called the animal hospital and asked if we should be concerned, the doctor said no but keep an eye on her breathing. Upon arriving the restaurant we put Daisy in her smaller carrying case and was seated in the courtyard with great views of all the action. There were two other couples with small dogs so we felt very comfortable. Amazingly Daisy remained calm and lay down except when the food came out and she sniffed the air. The dinner was excellent and the margaritas even better. We made the drive home in record time (no traffic) and Daisy did great.

After settling back in the house I told Mary "Today was a good day" and she agreed.

The one thing I left out was during all this fun I was trading emails with Scott at the yard. The next post will include some updates and photos.

John T.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #459
Guru

Just looking at the Petco page for dog calming aids and it's obviously a wider spread issue than we were aware of. Also products available for cats. Easy to understand Daisy's anxiety with her loss of sensory perception. I rode one trip in rear facing seats of a station wagon and had the same feeling. Of course my father was driving and his cataracts worsening and at least twice we had to yell to avoid an accident.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:45 PM   #460
Guru

Progress Report

Yesterday was a great day and included a flurry of emails between Scott (at the yard) and us related to some changes. The first item was the open space above the washer / dryer cabinet. I had requested if possible we add second small freezer. Scott sent back a message advising we only had 20" of height and that wouldn't work so we decided to leave it open and add a shelf turning this into a small decorative cabinet in the salon which Mary can work with after the boat arrives. Within 24 hours Scott forwarded a photo of the shelf installed (see photo).

Another topic was our redesigned staircase leading up to the PH. Scott agreed it was time to enhance the design as we looked for a more modern look. We bounced around a few concepts and in the end I told Scott I trust him to make the final decision.

Scott advised we will see the final drawings of the new salon / galley next week since the teak floor is in process (piece by piece) and the yard needs to start the cabinetry next week. (see photo)

Work on the transom appears to be in full swing with boarding door cut outs completed on all sides. This boat has a very large aft deck for a 38' (something we missed on other boats) providing space for a couple of chairs and small table. (see photo)

A side view of our boat shows off the slightly smaller (15%) window cutouts. Without a side by side comparison I don't think anyone will notice but looking at an interior photo of the future galley area I can see the slight increase of wall space between both windows.

Another photo of the PH shows the new forward facing window cutouts. Scott also advised starting with our boat the instrument console will be 2" wider allowing for a 16" monitor.

More to follow soon...........
Attached Images