Old 03-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #341
Guru

Wndows

The question about window size, thickness and safety is something we have struggled with finding the balance of getting it right "90% of the time". While Scott and I briefly discussed increasing the thickness of the windows I decided that since he never received word of any issues from owners (many used their boats hard) that I would limit my enhancements to reducing the surface area by 15% (discussed earlier). In a worst case situation we could always add storm plates but if the forecast ever warrants this action you can bet we are staying in port. Great question. thanks

John

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:17 PM   #342
Guru

Electronics - Back-up

Earlier we discussed our decision to stay with Furuno electronics but we managed skip over the number of displays, radars and controls. Since we plan to limit our cruising to local coastal cruising we decided that if we go with the best (Furuno) the odds are on our side regarding a failure thus we do not need to invest in a second or back up system on this boat. The only exception will be a second AP control with rudder indicator on the flybridge. The main reason for this decision is that I rely a lot on the rudder indicator and prefer to steer from above when pulling out of a tight location. It is also convenient on those clear sunny days enjoying the view from the flybridge and need to change course quickly. A second VHF radio installed at the flybridge will also make the list. Even with this reduced shopping list the estimated cost will be around $25K.

Funny thing about buying a new boat is that you can spend $200K or $1M and the cost of electronics comes out close the same unless you want to go to the extreme. Something for new buyers to take into consideration.

John

Old 03-23-2016, 10:17 PM   #343
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post

A second VHF radio installed at the flybridge will also make the list. Even with this reduced shopping list the estimated cost will be around $25K.

Funny thing about buying a new boat is that you can spend $200K or $1M and the cost of electronics comes out close the same unless you want to go to the extreme. Something for new buyers to take into consideration.

John
Well put John.

Come to think about it... similar to same fairly level dollar cost must follow through regarding maintenance/replacement on the lower or higher value boats.

Humph... never thought about it that way before.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #344
Guru

Fuel Range

Fuel range is topic that we have not discussed in detail here on the TF and I'm curious what others believe is a reasonable range for their boats and style of boating. Coming from the FD N40 with 1,000 gallons fuel capacity (never filled up) and over 2,000 mile range we were concerned moving to the SD hull and ability to "go fast", burn lots of fuel and not go far. A reality check confirming we likely will not travel much faster then 7-8 knots keeps us around hull speed with the standard 400 gallons of fuel a range of about 950 miles. Plenty of range for harbor hopping along the southern coastline and even enough for a Cabo run (1,000) with one stop along the way.

On the east coast and our desire to run the ICW in the future I have to believe this range is more than sufficient even along the more under developed legs of this journey. Then there is the dream of running to the islands off Florida which I believe 950 miles of range would be fine.

Curious what others think about this subject.

John
Old 03-25-2016, 01:29 PM   #345
Art
Guru

I feel carrying extra tankage than what will "normally" be required is wasted dollars and space. If perchance, once in a great while, you might run into a leg that exceeds your fuel volume I'd recommend then using bladders. Space on a boat is precious. Bladders can be resold as like-new-used.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:57 PM   #346
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I'm going to use speed cruise to represent the true cruising speed of a boat, 70-80% load, and economy cruise to represent cruising at near hull speed to get near maximum economy.

Crossing oceans 1000 nm at speed cruise. 3000 nm at economy cruise.
Coastal cruising 500 nm at speed cruise. 1000 nm at economy cruise.
Looping 250 nm at speed cruise. 400 nm at economy cruise.
Local and short hop cruising 200 nm at speed cruise, 300 nm at economy cruise.

A couple of other thoughts. I don't want to have to stop during the day for fuel. Want to be able to run all day at my desired speed or some acceptable combination of speeds. We do own a sport boat that at a cruise of 35 knots only has a range (at 90%) of 265 nm. That means it can only run 7 1/2 hours or so at that speed without fueling. Annoying but necessary in that type boat. However, in any type of normal cruising, if cruise is 20 knots then I must have range at 20 knots of at least 250 nm and preferably 280 nm.

I must be able to make it between all potential fuel stops. For a looper, this means at least 220 nm, so with a minimum reserve at least 245 nm. If one wants to come down the Mississippi all the way, then it means 330 nm, so with a minimum reserve at least 365 nm.

I also need a reasonable balance of fuel for my cruising habits. Too much and it sits. Too little and I have to adjust trips. Another factor is being able to fuel with the best prices. Traveling outside the country that can be huge. You pay double in the Virgin Islands what you pay in Puerto Rico. We get a price of around $1.70 today at home. St. Augustine is $2.49. The cheapest in the Bahamas is about $3.10. Some up to $5.00. If my range is only 300 nm and I go to Nassau, cruise around a little, I'll be paying the higher price. If my range is 600 or 1000 nm I can go to the Bahamas, enjoy three weeks, return home and then fuel.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #347
Guru

Fuel Range

B & B, we share you observations especially having the freedom of deciding were and when to refuel. Moderate to long distance trip planning can be challenging enough balancing schedule, weather and vessel preparation. Having a boat with sufficient range for your planned style of cruising provides one less thing to worry about. The only potential downside of a larger fuel capacity is filling up and not using the fuel within a single season and having it sit over the winter. While diesel fuel holds up better than gasoline we do not like to have it age more than a few months.

On the H38E we are pleased the boat comes standard with dual Racor fuel filters allowing for a back-up filter even underway. While we have been fortunate over the years with fill-ups, receiving contaminated fuel is always a risk even close to home.

John
Old 03-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #348
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
The only potential downside of a larger fuel capacity is filling up and not using the fuel within a single season and having it sit over the winter. While diesel fuel holds up better than gasoline we do not like to have it age more than a few months.
That's a problem we don't have. Boats get lots of use and we have no winter.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #349
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Fuel range is topic that we have not discussed in detail here on the TF and I'm curious what others believe is a reasonable range for their boats and style of boating.

Curious what others think about this subject.

John
My last boat carried 1,000 gallons, which gave it a range of less than 300 nm, the way I ran the boat, which was mostly max cruise with some (much more fuel efficient trolling and slower night travel). That really wasn't enough range for long range west-coast fishing. My current boat carries 2,300 gallons, and 95% of the time I am getting better than 1 to 1 (genset included). I don't miss the speed (but in a pinch will run it up to 18 knots) so now I have huge range. We once left San Diego, arrived in La Paz 7 days later after fishing offshore, etc., only stopping the engines once (anchored overnight in Los Muertos with 40 knot winds). Upon arrival, we had more than half our fuel still in the tanks. It suits me just fine not to have to worry about buying fuel, but when I wait until I am down to 300 gallons to refill, the fuel bill can be a whopper (although I will be fueling up soon, and prices are down substantially since last time I did).
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #350

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: La Paloma Blanca
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38
I am excited to announce that I took delivery of La Paloma Blanca, to be known as "Paloma," on Friday the 25th at Waterline Boats in Seattle. This is a shot of Paloma arriving at her new port, Eagle Harbor on Bainbridge Island, across Puget Sound from Seattle.

Paloma is hull number 26 of the Helmsman 38s and it is a beauty. The build is typical Helmsman, perfect and the commissioning of the boat after the arrival in the US has gone smoothly as we made the boat our own. The patience and perfectionism of both of the Helkers and their willingness to accommodate my requests have made this purchase a great experience. This is our sixth boat and I expect it will be the last since it has all we could possibly want in a boat. And after all of the trepidations of adding 10 feet onto our last boat, it was an easy boat to handle taking out of the tight marina and bringing into our home slip. In addition we had to go through locks to get out of the lake and the boat handled well.

Great boat and we are thrilled with our decision. Friends have been wandering past our slip and admiring the boat and we plan to have a welcoming party soon and show off all the room on board.

I am happy to answer any questions but first you have to find me; I am going to be boating as much as possible and going to be busy getting all of our stuff on board but the storage space right now seems almost unlimited.

If you want a great boat, get a perfectionist builder. Scott and Lisa fit the bill.
aginglawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:19 PM   #351

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: La Paloma Blanca
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38
I could not post the picture easily but you get the idea.
aginglawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #352
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Congratulations. The Helmsman 38 looks like a nice boat.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #353
Guru

Congratulations!

Congratulations on the new boat. You made a great choice.

John
Old 03-28-2016, 02:14 PM   #354
Guru

Anchor Breast Plate

I guess we are getting a little anxious waiting the boat to arrive so what do we do, we start reviewing everything on the boat all over again (never good for Scott). One item that I struggled with on the H38E was he breast plate or anchor protector. While there is nothing wrong with the current one I wondered how the boat may look without it. I know based on past experience that plates do not really serve much of a purpose since they are so high up on the front of the bow. In fact on our N40's I always felt the anchor roller was too far aft not providing the true required of space between the dangling anchor and the lower portion of the hull.

Thinking about this a further I emailed Scott and asked his opinion. He responded today confirming the plate is more for appearance then function and we could delete it if we desired.

So this morning I started to play with a head on picture of the H38E and colored out the breast plate. I also looked at trawlers that are built with and without the breast plate installed. It appears to be almost a 50/50 mix on small to mid size trawlers. So for our boat we will hold off having the plate installed and go for a cleaner look up front. Scott advised in his email that if we should change our mind later we could order one from the yard.

That's enough changes for this week.

John
Old 03-28-2016, 02:35 PM   #355
Art
Guru

Quote:
I guess we are getting a little anxious waiting the boat to arrive so what do we do, we start reviewing everything on the boat all over again (never good for Scott). One item that I struggled with on the H38E was he breast plate or anchor protector. While there is nothing wrong with the current one I wondered how the boat may look without it. I know based on past experience that plates do not really serve much of a purpose since they are so high up on the front of the bow. In fact on our N40's I always felt the anchor roller was too far aft not providing the true required of space between the dangling anchor and the lower portion of the hull.

Thinking about this a further I emailed Scott and asked his opinion. He responded today confirming the plate is more for appearance then function and we could delete it if we desired.

So this morning I started to play with a head on picture of the H38E and colored out the breast plate. I also looked at trawlers that are built with and without the breast plate installed. It appears to be almost a 50/50 mix on small to mid size trawlers. So for our boat we will hold off having the plate installed and go for a cleaner look up front. Scott advised in his email that if we should change our mind later we could order one from the yard.

That's enough changes for this week.

John
John

I agree:

After maximizing within concept, then, minimize within reason - to gain best clarity of design efficiency!

This rule-o-thumb concept works well throughout many levels of invention.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:05 PM   #356
Guru

Progress Report

Last week the yard successfully completed the removal of the new deck mold from the plug. Next step is to commence lay up of the new aft deck / salon / Pilothouse house / forward deck. Things are progressing well and we are pleased to be the first boat to receive this enhanced entirely new deck. Once the deck lay up is completed and the deck is secured to the hull things will start back up inside the hull.

John
Old 04-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #357
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
What?? No pics?

(Lovin' the blow-by-blow, John!)

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #358
Veteran Member

City: Tsawwassen/Point Roberts
Vessel Name: Tolly Roger
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 SC
Picture from Twitter

From Twitter

https://twitter.com/Helmsman_
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Deck.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	50310  
Tolly Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #359
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolly Roger View Post
I didn't mean DURING the birthing process. I was kinda thinkin' cute new baby boat pics. You know, like baby pics with a little hair, but it's dry!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:26 PM   #360
Guru

Progress Report Follow-up

Today we looked on line at West Marine and there selection of Emergency Locating Beacons for recreation boats. An interesting observation was how the price of this"must have" item has reduced in price over the years. I recall spending around $600+ back in 2005 for a comparable class I beacon today that is only around. $450 today. Its a nice change to actually see the price of something actually go down over time.

Does anyone else know of any other boat related items that ave reduced in price over the years?

John