Old 03-06-2016, 03:12 AM   #301

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
The day head wall is on the port side of the engine which prevents easy access and something I wish we could change but will have to live with. Fortunately all fills and accessories on the starboard side and in easy reach.

John
Any opportunity to put an access hatch through the wall in the head to facilitate access to the port side of the motor for repairs? I believe the Diesel Ducks were designed with a large hatch in the galley wall to access the motor. There's ALWAYS stuff to access on both sides of the motor - and you'll be glad when maintenance or repairs arise, even if you're just paying the labor.

Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:57 AM   #302
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
When I proudly owned my 65 footer, standing on the flybridge, I felt like captain of a 100ft motor yacht. But honestly I understand what you guys are saying as it was very detached and after awhile I yearned to be on those "little" 30ft cruisers who were down at the water, fishing 12 inches off the water and feeling the spray in their faces. Of course, since I'm one of the world's most God-awful fishermen, maybe it wasn't such an issue anyway???
Nice looking boat! Huckins, Mainship, Trumpy?

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:09 AM   #303

City: Doha and Mobile, AL
Burger.

Steel hull, teak decks, wood house.... the worst of all worlds, haha!
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #304
Art
Guru

Quote:
Burger.

Thanks - I should have included that builder - couldn't bring it to mind.

Windows on forward cabin are tell tale.

What year - Late 50's early 60's??
Old 03-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #305
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Burger.

And absolutely some of the most beautifully finished boats on the water. We chartered a Burger for a week once, the MY Top Times. Before that I was impressed with Burger at a distance. Seeing their work close up, you couldn't help but being more impressed. The finish work was impeccable. All the workmanship was beautiful. I would love to see them revive their recreational boat business.

Greg Marshall did some updated designs for them a few years ago and they did more on their own. However, they've yet to sell any of them.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:22 PM   #306

She's 1956 with engines that were 10 years older than that! She cruised under her various owners from Wisconsin to Hawaii to Australia and back. Grand ole lady that has been recently revived and is now in the active charter market under a new and dedicated owner.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #307
Guru

Engine Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Any opportunity to put an access hatch through the wall in the head to facilitate access to the port side of the motor for repairs? I believe the Diesel Ducks were designed with a large hatch in the galley wall to access the motor. There's ALWAYS stuff to access on both sides of the motor - and you'll be glad when maintenance or repairs arise, even if you're just paying the labor.

Your recommendation is something we actually explored early on in our discussions with Scott then I let go. It would be a simple modification but would disrupt the solid wall sound proofing on the port side. Nothing that couldn't be addressed. I need to revisit this now that I'm thinking about this (sorry Scott).

John
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #308
Guru

Nice Boat

Quote:
When I proudly owned my 65 footer, standing on the flybridge, I felt like captain of a 100ft motor yacht. But honestly I understand what you guys are saying as it was very detached and after awhile I yearned to be on those "little" 30ft cruisers who were down at the water, fishing 12 inches off the water and feeling the spray in their faces. Of course, since I'm one of the world's most God-awful fishermen, maybe it wasn't such an issue anyway???

Wow, very nice boat with beautiful classic lines. A eye catcher anywhere she goes.

John
Old 03-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #309
Art
Guru

Quote:
She's 1956 with engines that were 10 years older than that! She cruised under her various owners from Wisconsin to Hawaii to Australia and back. Grand ole lady that has been recently revived and is now in the active charter market under a new and dedicated owner.
???? - Rebuilds that were placed into boat after originals went out... or... 10 year old (not previously used) originals that were installed at build?
Old 03-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #310
Guru

H38e

Well it appears to be official in that the new Helmsman 38 "E" has been launched by Scott & Lisa at Waterline Boats. If you look up Helmsman Trawlers online you will see the line up of all boats including an artist rendering of the new H38" E". While our boat will be the first hull designated as the "E" it will include a few custom changes not part of "E".

A few enhancements buyers will receive on the " E" include the new straighter PH roof and extended aft deck roof. These significant enhancements resulted in significant investment by the yard in new tooling.

Anyone interested to learning more about the new "E" should contact Scott directly.

John
Old 03-06-2016, 09:17 PM   #311
TF Site Team

City: Friday Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Very nice!

2016 Helmsman Trawlers 38E Pilothouse Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:18 AM   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
???? - Rebuilds that were placed into boat after originals went out... or... 10 year old (not previously used) originals that were installed at build?
Aluminum block 6-71's gensets from a WW2 minesweeper. Naturally aspirated. Rebuilt them myself. I think they will run for another 70 years!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #313
Art
Guru

Quote:
Aluminum block 6-71's gensets from a WW2 minesweeper. Naturally aspirated. Rebuilt them myself. I think they will run for another 70 years!
Best diesel plants I've hear of yet... nice going! But, you don't own the 1956 Burger any more - do you? If not, current owner must love ya!!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:35 AM   #314

Hi Art, I think we've pretty much hijacked N4061's great thread. In any case, I don't own it anymore and personally I prefer cast iron blocks. However, think of the incredible scrap value in all that aluminum!
Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #315
Art
Guru

Quote:
Hi Art, I think we've pretty much hijacked N4061's great thread. In any case, I don't own it anymore and personally I prefer cast iron blocks. However, think of the incredible scrap value in all that aluminum!
Correct - Unthinking... Sorry John - Please forgive! - Over n' Out Art
Old 03-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #316
Guru

Status Report

I had the opportunity this evening to talk with Scott and get caught up with his trip to the yard. He reconfirmed final touches are being made to the new deck / salon / PH plug from which the mold will be built then the layup. This combined with a slightly taller hull is making for a near new boat (my opinion). He still needs to confirm shipment to San Diego instead of Long Beach is available and will keep us advised. He believes the yard fully understands our latest changes to the salon / galley and we should see revised blue prints in a few weeks. Interest for the H38E (new designation) continue to keep him busy as word is getting out (I think I mentioned previously this would occur) and people are starting to see the value this boat offers.

Not sure if I mentioned new boats are also receiving enhanced sound proofing by way of a new composite floor. I really need to develop and post a list of the changes the H38E offer since I'm already loosing track myself.

As if we haven't made enough changes we asked about a fix table up on the fly bridge like the H43 (but smaller) and waiting to hear what Scott thinks. It seems like every week we think of "one more" item we missed even after years of planning. Things are getting exciting .

John
Old 03-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #317

What is that acoustic composite floor that you mention, how is it built up?
Old 03-08-2016, 04:38 AM   #318
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
John, now that you have some new pictures and an update, what's your assessment of the remaining schedule? Will the boat ship by the end of April?
Old 03-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #319
Guru

Floors

Quote:
What is that acoustic composite floor that you mention, how is it built up?
If memory serves me correctly Scott is enhancing the sound proofing by adding a layer of rubber and cork to the wood and teak floors. I believe this type of approach has been proven by other builders on larger high end boats.

Since this will be additive to the existing floor structure (no change to the E/R sound proofing) it can only help what is already a well insulated boat.

John
Old 03-11-2016, 09:01 PM   #320
Guru

Delivery Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
John, now that you have some new pictures and an update, what's your assessment of the remaining schedule? Will the boat ship by the end of April?
With the contract signed in November Scott had counted December as month one and May for completion. This makes sense since the first few weeks are tied up with contract stuff and ordering materials. The yard is still holding to a May completion but to be honest I told Scott that with the all new deck mold, PH roof and all the other changes we have made he shouldn't push the yard for us. It is more important to get things right versus meeting a promise date. At this point I'm assuming end of May completion then shipment to San Diego. Scott is working to change shipment to SD (was Long Beach) which would eliminate many logistic issues for Mary and I.

We have a few major milestones which we will track but again, getting the first new boat right is most important.

John