Old 02-28-2016, 06:40 PM   #261

City: Southern California
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
Looking back at my posts I see that have not spoke about engine rooms in detail so here we go. While many readers will think "this guy is hung up on ER access" I will admit "I'm hung up with ER room access". I think it comes from my aviation background and appreciating the importance of having everything working correctly before taking off. I view boating the same way and like to play it safe.

I'm a strong believer in preventative maintenance and regular inspcetions as a way to spot trouble before it ruins your day.

<snip>

OK, I have to run now but will pick up this post later today..........

John
Absolutely agree on all points. And likewise, I am both a pilot and risk conservative. And love an accessible engine room with a single, easily worked around engine and supporting systems.

Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 07:01 PM   #262
Guru

a little off course

The weather is perfect today 79 degrees with a cool breeze and Mary and I decided to spend time in the backyard by the pool sipping margaritas listening to our new Blue tooth music and speakers. This is not like being on a boat but I gets us ready. We just downloaded a long list of older Bee Gees and The Eagles. Life is good today, cannot wait for the boat and doing this on the water.

Hope those with boats take a moment and appreciate what they have.

John

John

N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #263
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Hope those with boats take a moment and appreciate what they have.

John
John, I have and am, but right now I'm at the other end of the business, trying to sell mine, and the darned thing won't let go...is that trying to tell me something, d'yuhthink..?
Old 02-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #264
Guru

letting go

[QUOTE=Peter B;419531]John, I have and am, but right now I'm at the other end of the business, trying to sell mine, and the darned thing won't let go...is that trying to tell me something, d'yuhthink..

For some of us boating can be a love / hate relationship, drug or even worse a dream of some adventure that never gets fully recognized. The passion of boating can be worse then a relationship at times. Once you start considering the boat an escape from lifes troubles (which we have been able to do) it becomes part of your sole. It can be hard to part from even after swearing you are done with expenses, repairs, headaches and everything else that goes with a taste of the good life.

I have no answer's except possibly to consider downsizing and or simplifying the boat so its less stress and more enjoyable. At least that's are current plan / story and sticking to it.

Life is so short and to give up a passion (assuming boating is your passion) early just doesn't make sense. We cannot wait to get back aboard and start living life again. We are ready for everything (good and bad) that boating offers and set new challenges and adventures before our final sunset at anchor.

Today was a good day for us listening to new downloaded music in the backyard sitting poolside with a few margaritas. The only thing that could make today any better would being do this board a boat.

Bed of luck with decision.

John T.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #265
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
John - I applaud your often engine checks.

I do recommend you do have trim tabs installed... for trim reasons in unusual sea conditions as well as fuel savings and speed enhancement.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #266
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

I do recommend you do have trim tabs installed... for trim reasons in unusual sea conditions as well as fuel savings and speed enhancement.
I'll second that.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #267
Guru

Exciting Times

I have never enjoyed a new build as much as this boat. Yesterday I received an update from Scott who just arrived the yard in China. Today we received photos of the new pilothouse windows and roof line. One of our conditions related to building this boat was to redesign the pilothouse roof line to something more straight or streamlined. This was not a simple request since it required engineering and all new tooling. Our request must have made sense since Scott agreed to build our request and make it the new standard on all new boats after ours. Talk about working with a company that really listens to its customers. No company we know of can match Scotts' ability to accommodate us while still offering the price value only he can. I plan to write much more about the "value" after the boat arrives.

I know Scott is scratching head about now since we just responded to a few emails with "a few more ideas". Not sure how these will work out but in the end there will be a win /win. I will not be sleeping tonight.

I will provide a more comprehensive update in a few days but will advise the yard is still projecting a May completion date which based on photos and progress report I have no reason to doubt. This is going to be one heck of boat when we are done. I think you can tell we are a little excited.

John
Old 03-02-2016, 11:06 PM   #268
Guru

Trim Tabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I'll second that.
Thanks for the feedback on trim tabs. After much research, sole searching and recently double checking we are pleased to announce our decision to pass on trim tabs stands. Our reasoning is based on past experience and factoring in that the H38PH is a heavy boat that we don't plan on running much past 10 knots.

At these speeds trim tabs are useless and they will not help much in a beam sea. Once you add in the extra costs, risk of damage and maintenance costs they just don't add up on this boat. Now if we were looking at a narrower and quicker SD boat like a tug then we would almost be forced into buying them.

Interesting (again) how simplicity can work on a modern boat.

John
Old 03-02-2016, 11:17 PM   #269
Art
Guru

Hi John,

Unless I'm mistaken... post 161, 191,192 are the only three on your thread that show pictures of your new-build. Seems you've mentioned other photos. Have any to share?

May is getting close. Bet Scott would not mind for TF members to see more about your boat.

Happy Boar-Build Daze - Art
Old 03-02-2016, 11:51 PM   #270
Veteran Member

City: Tsawwassen/Point Roberts
Vessel Name: Tolly Roger
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 SC
You can "follow" the some of the progress here:
https://www.facebook.com/HelmsmanTrawlers/
Tolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 03:39 PM   #271
Guru

Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Hi John,

Unless I'm mistaken... post 161, 191,192 are the only three on your thread that show pictures of your new-build. Seems you've mentioned other photos. Have any to share?

May is getting close. Bet Scott would not mind for TF members to see more about your boat.

Happy Boar-Build Daze - Art

We just received some great pictures from Scott of the yard and all the boats in process. I will start to post them tomorrow. Its been a busy week trading emails and discussing our changes. Very exciting week for us. More to follow over the weekend. Thanks to everyone who have been following our journey.

John
Old 03-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #272
Guru

Update from the yard

It has been a busy week with numerous emails flying back and forth between Scott and I while he was at the yard in China. We started out discussing the pilothouse house forward facing windows and their appropriate angle along the bottom. While some may think this is getting into the "weeds" of building a boat and best left for the builder, I live for this part of the adventure.

I should mention that with all our changes along with other enhancements Scott was planning for this next generation H38PH a new top side mold was built from which they use to build the entire upper deck / salon / pilothouse structures. Getting everything properly laid out and located is critical during this part of the build process.

So after agreeing the pilothouse windows, I figured this was a great time to discuss yet another change (I'm not so sure Scott thought the same but he is always willing to listen). One of the great aspects of the H38PH is its open salon / galley area and large windows which provide for plenty of natural light. As much as we like the change to large windows I personally believe they may b a little too large for this boat and could be reduced without giving up any of the benefits. So why would I be so concerned with window size? My primary reasoning is safety. While we are not planning to cross any oceans we do find ourselves dealing with open ocean coastal cruising and southern California swells which can be large. The thought of a large swell breaking on our beam, while unlikely still makes me think twice about window size. The other aspect we thought we could improve was to add a little more separation between the windows allowing for a little more interior teak wood inside the salon. It didn't take Scott more than 24 hours to have the yard draw up a new profile with new windows about 15% smaller. He sent us a side by side comparison which Mary and I studied before emailing him back and said "letís make the change".

The following is a list of changes we have made so far (many which will be standard on follow-on boats) include: enhanced all new PH roof line, extended upper aft deck, longer bow railings, revised salon windows (6 ea.) and all new galley / salon layout.

I'm attaching a new photo Scott forwarded showing a number of boats in different stages of production including the two 38PH in front of us. Notice how clean the floors are in this place, very impressive.

More to follow over the weekend..

John
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #273
Guru

New Deck Mold

Attached is a photo of the all new deck house mold the yard built to accept all the changes Scott and I are making to the all new H38PH"E". I think I have the new designation correct "E".

The mold allows for the longer upper aft deck and new pliot house roof.

John
Old 03-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #274
Art
Guru

Quote:
Attached is a photo of the all new deck house mold the yard built to accept all the changes Scott and I are making to the all new H38PH"E". I think I have the new designation correct "E".

The mold allows for the longer upper aft deck and new pliot house roof.

John
John - I don't see photo or link.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #275
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
N4061, I agree reducing the size of large saloon windows is a wise move for hostile, open waters (from one with large saloon windows boating in protected waters.) Don't see the angle of forward-leaning pilothouse windows to be critical unless the angle is extreme (from one who has forward leaning pilothouse windows.)

Old 03-05-2016, 12:52 AM   #276

City: Doha and Mobile, AL
Quote:
As much as we like the change to large windows I personally believe they may b a little too large for this boat and could be reduced without giving up any of the benefits.
Hi John. I found it to be very helpful to setup all sorts of cardboard mockups at home in my living room for the pilothouse, salon, galley, etc. My wife especially appreciated it, and there are times when a photo or a drawing just doesn't give you the true feeling. Regarding windows, I started way too small and then kept increasing size until I was comfortable, instead of from the other direction.

It sounds like you're probably past that now and are proceeding however. Hope it all works out well
makobuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #277
Guru

Deck Plug Photo

Lets try this photo again;
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #278
Guru

More Photo's

A couple of boats ahead of us and our hull.
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2016, 10:58 AM   #279
Art
Guru

Thanks, John!
Old 03-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #280
Guru

Mock-ups

[QUOTE=makobuilders;421249]Hi John. I found it to be very helpful to setup all sorts of cardboard mockups at home in my living room for the pilothouse, salon, galley, etc. My wife especially appreciated it, and there are times when a photo or a drawing just doesn't give you the true feeling. Regarding windows, I started way too small and then kept increasing size until I was comfortable, instead of from the other direction.

Great suggestion and something we actually have done over the years. We still have some of the cardboard left over in the garage. Another approach I used was to take out the tape measure and use our kitchen as the mock-up when trying to convey the size of the galley countertop area. While not exactly apples to apples it worked well. One thing we have learned over the years building houses and boats and recently at work when moving an entire manufacturing cell layout into another building is that everything looks larger on paper. Thanks

John