Conalls boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conall63

Vessel Name
Homegrown
Vessel Make
Roberts TY 43
Greetings all,

My blog with more detail about my boat build is @ Conall's Boat Build

I'd like to start posting updates here as I've been lurking around this site and getting good info for years now. I'm going to start off at my current state of construction, but a brief summary of my boat is she's 48' overall with a 15'4" beam, 44' on deck, 39' @ DWL, full displacement @ 72,000 LBS, single engine Deere 6068TFM, twin disc gear @ 2.95 reduction, 2" shaft with 30 x 20 four blade, 1300 gallons of fuel in four tanks, 400 gallons of water in 8 SS tanks, two staterooms, two heads, two showers ( one shower is on aft deck), hydraulic system powered from live PTO off of gear, 10" hydraulic bow thruster, hydraulic anchor winch.

I built her in my barn, and after 10 years moved her last fall in two pieces to our current location @ Washington Marine on the Ohio River.

I'm closing in on completing the wood work having just finished trimming the salon. Last night I stopped by on my way home from work and installed the stereo in the salon. There's a day head in the salon. I'll be installing the rest of the galley cabinets this weekend and finalizing the air conditioning duct work so I can build the settee platform. All the cabinets in the salon were built in the shop last year. All the wood on board is Cherry.

Cheers,

Conall

Attachments

• DSCN1879 (640x466).jpg
    DSCN1879 (640x466).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCN1891 (640x461).jpg
    DSCN1891 (640x461).jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCN1896 (640x458).jpg
    DSCN1896 (640x458).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCN1910 (640x480) - Copy.jpg
    DSCN1910 (640x480) - Copy.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCN1914 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1914 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 198
Please post some exterior shots. Nice work.

Conall-ten years? You are really going to be ready for some serious cruising! Beautiful woodwork! Since I am really bad a it, I always admire someone who can do such great work. One question, how did you move it in two pieces? It is a steel hull, no?

That is very nice. I'm so impressed with folks who have this level of skill.

Where are you going to go when it's finished? Big trip planned?

Yes, steel hull. 1/4" thickness on hull bottom, 3/8 & 1/2" thickness on keel, 3/16 sides, decks, tops. We moved in two pieces using a dolly for the hull, and hauled the super structure on a trailer. There are a few posts about moving it on my blog... around last October. The move was quite an adventure and a story on it's own.

No big plans when she's completed but to enjoy some time on the water. We want to move to Western Florida in a couple of years, then start to do some short cruising.We sold our 30' cruiser three seasons ago to get funds to work on the trawler, so we've been boat less for that long. We have six kids who are just starting to head off to college's, so change is in the air.

Here are some exterior shots.

Cheers,

Conall

Attachments

• DSCN1921 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1921 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCN1925 (640x471).jpg
    DSCN1925 (640x471).jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCN1931 (640x462).jpg
    DSCN1931 (640x462).jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 205
Wow, just Wow! Beautiful vessel and love the use of cherry inside. That is my all time favorite wood.

Looks a lot like a Florida Cruiser (not sure on name). We have one in my marina in Deltaville, Va. I'll post some pictures next chance I get.
You have done a wonderful job...beautiful.

Wow!!! :eek: :) I'm guessing this is not your first boat you've built? How long have you been building? All yourself or did you have some weld up the hull? Who's design? Thanks for sharing! Look forward to hearing updates!!

Think it's a Bruce Roberts design

Think it's a Bruce Roberts design

Yes it is.

I spend every evening for a couple of weeks reading Conall's blog and it was time well spent. He has built a beautiful boat and done some imaginative things along the way.

His blog is a great read.

Later,
Dan

This is a Bruce Roberts design, and I've been working on it part time, after work and on evenings for ten years. I met a guy in Seattle who built this model professionally in his shop, and it took himself and two others a year to complete. A typical build weekend would have me in the shop on the weekends about 0500, and work on her until 1300 or 1400, then do family duties. Since I'm a self employed excavating contractor, Winters gave me longer stretches of being able to work on the build. This is my first boat build. My last two house's were built by me as a general contractor.

All the welding was done by me ( along with everything else). A 200 amp Lincoln MIG machine with .035 wire size, and a Lincoln plasma cutter were my primary welding tools. The metal was blasted, primed and cut by a CNC plasma machine, so I didn't have to do any lofting. I built her inside of my barn, so rust was not an issue. The only deviation from the plans were adding the swim platform, the anchor pulpit, and increasing the fuel capacity. I checked with the designer, Hal Whitacre before making changes, and he altered the stability calculations and ballast for the increased fuel capacity.

There's a few jobs on this type of project that rank pretty low in regard to a high ranking on the enjoyment scale, but for the most part I've enjoyed it immensely. That being said, the time to wrap this up and get her in the water has arrived.

Cheers,

Conall

Attachments

• DSCN1827 (640x479).jpg
    DSCN1827 (640x479).jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 184
Wow!! Conall nice build .Ten years man and your first boat build ,my hat's off to you :thumb:

Great job, Conall, but let's hope Matt can get Axe done in less than ten years!

Great job, Conall, but let's hope Matt can get Axe done in less than ten years!

Haha chalk and cheese mate. This vessel is in a totally different league to mine. His is art, mine is just ... Well ... It is what it is, but in saying that, I'm hoping for late 2015 splash.

If I can get a 1/4 of the class this one and Portuguese's vessels have then I'll be happy. Heck I just hope mine floats haha

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Wow!

Kinda makes me sick when I complain how much wiring work I have to do yet, and then see something like this being completed in about the same time I've been doing the wiring job.:eek::banghead:

Thanks for all the kind words.

Florida Coasters Bill Ranson?

The wiring comment is spot on Larry. On my last boat, a 30' Carver, it needed a compete re wire, and it seemed I'd work a weekend to not get much done. I looked at buying an older trawler and doing a renovation, but the money was a little more in my favor by building new.

Once I'm finished with the wiring, I won't be accessing the cabinet much, but I wanted to make it fairly easy to gain access behind the console and the electric distribution panel, so I hinged both of them. All the boat wiring home runs to he helm, so most of the work gets done under the console. It for sure is a much better job having the panel swing open and stare you in the face as you sit on a bucket to work...

Conall

Attachments

• DSCN1801 (640x474).jpg
    DSCN1801 (640x474).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCN1936 (640x440).jpg
    DSCN1936 (640x440).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCN1799 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1799 (640x480).jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 179
Good job Conall. I've been on two Bruce Roberts designs that are currently for sale in the PNW. One is listed at Van Isle and the other in Anacortes through Yachtfinders. If you've not already done so, a pull up of the pictures may be interesting.

I may have missed it, she has both bow and stern thrusters? How about heating and AC?

10" hydraulic bow thruster. No stern thruster.

Two marine forced air, reversible, for AC and limited heat. We don't boat in the Winter in Ohio, and have plans to move to Florida's western coast, so I've not installed a boiler.

Do you have a link to the trawlers for sale sunchaser?

Conall

I have the table saw under a tarp on the back deck along with the saw horse work bench. That's a good thing as that means that the wood work is just about wrapped up. All the base cabinets are installed, the salon settee is finished, two more cabinets in the salon half bath, propane range installed, and water and waste lines for the salon fixtures. For all practical purposes, the wood work is finished and I'm ready for counter tops and finished flooring.

I'm switching my focus to getting the mechanical's up and running. I'd like her in the water by mid July to be able to enjoy some down time this summer. There's a long list of things to get done, so here's the abbreviated version: Align engine, install dry exhaust stack, install engine/transmission control cables, install hydraulic bow thruster, install hydraulic anchor winch, install starter cables and battery switch's, weld on zincs and anti foul bottom, install rudder.

I have to insulate my 4" dry exhaust pipe, and am looking for a contractor who could fabricate an exhaust blanket for me. Does anyone have a source for this work?

Cheers,

Conall
Conall's Boat Build

Attachments

• DSCN1961 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1961 (640x480).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN1974 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN1974 (640x480).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN2006 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN2006 (640x480).jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 119
  • DSCN2002 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN2002 (640x480).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN2015 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN2015 (640x480).jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 117
  • DSCN2000 (640x480).jpg
    DSCN2000 (640x480).jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 116
Beautiful, looks professional!

Coming along nicely. Hard work, but must be a real pleasure being able to be that creative.

Nice. Glad to see the independent spirit of America is still alive. What are you excavating up there- Gold?

"My token has expired."

Don't know what that means but it bounced my last post, so here goes again:
ExoWrap® Insulation System

I just bought a box of the blanket for my new dry exhaust, it was around 300 Loonies for 2 rolls, including tape. I also plan to use lock wire.

Thanks all.

What would be a good thickness of insulation for wrapping a dry exhaust system?

Xsbank, have you installed yet, if so how was the DIY factor and have you worked the engine with the wrap? Rolls or blanket? How thick of a material

Don, wet exhaust? Did they send a tech to do your wrap or DIY? Risers to the injection point? Turbo?

My exhaust stack/chimney, rises 9' from the engine room through the salon roof. The stack is insulated on the living space side, and will have 1/8" of high performance material on inside of the stack on the exhaust side. Once the 4" exhaust pipe enters the exhaust stack ( chimney), I was planning on not wrapping/blanketing the pipe for the run up the stack. There's a blower pushing air up the stack, and my thought was the pipe would loose some heat in the 9' tall stack before it hits the top of the funnel where the pipe will exit the stack. I'm trying to not melt the paint on the funnel top where the pipe exits the funnel. I guess if that's not possible, I could use some high temperature paint for this area only, or re design the exit point to keep things cool at this point.

I don't have any pictures of the exhaust work as I've not started it yet. It's made it on to the list I keep in my head , which means it's still a couple of weeks away. My typical MO on this build has me kicking around ideas for a few weeks, deciding on which direction I'm heading, sourcing and locating parts, then putting the design together on board.

Conall
Conall's Boat Build

Conall

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom