Old 04-27-2014, 07:30 AM   #21

City: Cape Coral, Florida
Vessel Name: Gra Go Deo
Vessel Model: Roberts TY 43
10" hydraulic bow thruster. No stern thruster.

Two marine forced air, reversible, for AC and limited heat. We don't boat in the Winter in Ohio, and have plans to move to Florida's western coast, so I've not installed a boiler.

Do you have a link to the trawlers for sale sunchaser?

Conall

Conall63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #22
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conall63 View Post
Do you have a link to the trawlers for sale sunchaser?

Conall
Conall - These should work

Full Service Marina - Van Isle Marina Victoria (Sidney) BC

Yacht Finders International - Nordhavn Yachts, Passage Maker Trawlers

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:47 AM   #23

I have the table saw under a tarp on the back deck along with the saw horse work bench. That's a good thing as that means that the wood work is just about wrapped up. All the base cabinets are installed, the salon settee is finished, two more cabinets in the salon half bath, propane range installed, and water and waste lines for the salon fixtures. For all practical purposes, the wood work is finished and I'm ready for counter tops and finished flooring.

I'm switching my focus to getting the mechanical's up and running. I'd like her in the water by mid July to be able to enjoy some down time this summer. There's a long list of things to get done, so here's the abbreviated version: Align engine, install dry exhaust stack, install engine/transmission control cables, install hydraulic bow thruster, install hydraulic anchor winch, install starter cables and battery switch's, weld on zincs and anti foul bottom, install rudder.

I have to insulate my 4" dry exhaust pipe, and am looking for a contractor who could fabricate an exhaust blanket for me. Does anyone have a source for this work?

Cheers,

Conall
Conall's Boat Build
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1961 (640x480).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	29900   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1974 (640x480).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	29901   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2006 (640x480).jpg
Views:	75
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	29902   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2002 (640x480).jpg
Views:	80
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	29903   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2015 (640x480).jpg
Views:	78
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	29904  

Name:	DSCN2000 (640x480).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	29905  
Old 05-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #24
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Talk with Marine Exhaust Manufacturing and Fabrication, Diesel and Gas Systems, and Accessories | DeAngelo Marine Exhaust | deangelomarine.com

about exhaust blankets.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #25

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
Beautiful, looks professional!
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
DeAngelo Marine just did my exhaust risers including wrapping. They do great work.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Coming along nicely. Hard work, but must be a real pleasure being able to be that creative.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #28
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Nice. Glad to see the independent spirit of America is still alive. What are you excavating up there- Gold?
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:25 AM   #29
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
"My token has expired."

Don't know what that means but it bounced my last post, so here goes again:
ExoWrap® Insulation System

I just bought a box of the blanket for my new dry exhaust, it was around 300 Loonies for 2 rolls, including tape. I also plan to use lock wire.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:12 AM   #30

Thanks all.

What would be a good thickness of insulation for wrapping a dry exhaust system?

Xsbank, have you installed yet, if so how was the DIY factor and have you worked the engine with the wrap? Rolls or blanket? How thick of a material

Don, wet exhaust? Did they send a tech to do your wrap or DIY? Risers to the injection point? Turbo?

My exhaust stack/chimney, rises 9' from the engine room through the salon roof. The stack is insulated on the living space side, and will have 1/8" of high performance material on inside of the stack on the exhaust side. Once the 4" exhaust pipe enters the exhaust stack ( chimney), I was planning on not wrapping/blanketing the pipe for the run up the stack. There's a blower pushing air up the stack, and my thought was the pipe would loose some heat in the 9' tall stack before it hits the top of the funnel where the pipe will exit the stack. I'm trying to not melt the paint on the funnel top where the pipe exits the funnel. I guess if that's not possible, I could use some high temperature paint for this area only, or re design the exit point to keep things cool at this point.

I don't have any pictures of the exhaust work as I've not started it yet. It's made it on to the list I keep in my head , which means it's still a couple of weeks away. My typical MO on this build has me kicking around ideas for a few weeks, deciding on which direction I'm heading, sourcing and locating parts, then putting the design together on board.

Conall
Conall's Boat Build

Conall
Old 06-13-2014, 06:38 PM   #31

I fired up the engine the other day. My power is a John Deere 6068TFM. The control cables for the throttle and transmission are in the boat, but not yet installed. It was a good day to finally hear the engine, but I'm more happy as to how quiet the boat sounds. I'd like to find a decibel meter just to see how loud it is.

One of the best things about firing up the engine was finally getting to operate the steering. My steering is the same as one would find on a heavy duty dump truck with a hydraulic pump operating off of a gear on the cam shaft, and a robust twin cylinder quadrant working the rudder. It was nice to fire the engine and instantly have steering without having to bleed anything. Hard over to hard over is 3.5 turns of the wheel.

There's more detail on the blog with a lame video of the engine.

Conall
Conall's Boat Build
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2063 (640x480).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	30524   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2064 (640x459).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	30525   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2067 (640x480).jpg
Views:	64
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	30526   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2075 (640x446).jpg
Views:	72
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	30527  
Old 06-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #32
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Conall-the boat continues to look good. Two questions though (1) have you thought about a hole in the rudder so you can pull the shaft without removing the rudder? and (2) what size is your shaft? It looks small in the photo.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #33
Grand Vizier

Nice work as always, Conall. Is the rudder hollow and do you plan to fill it with oil. I was surprised at the difference in feel on Delfin's rudder once I filled it. Seemed smoother.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #34

The shaft is 2".

I had thought about having a shaft removal hole in the rudder, but chose not to. With having the rudder flanged, it's a fairly easy to remove it , although it's pretty heavy.

I air tested the rudder when I built it, but until now had sort of forgotten about filling with oil until you mentioned it. Do you fill with vegetable based oil? How was the difference in feel? Now that you mentioned it, filling it is going to be bouncing around my head. I know it's early in the game, but I do like my steering system.

Conall
Conall's Boat Build
Old 06-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #35
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Thanks all.

What would be a good thickness of insulation for wrapping a dry exhaust system?

Xsbank, have you installed yet, if so how was the DIY factor and have you worked the engine with the wrap? Rolls or blanket? How thick of a material

Don, wet exhaust? Did they send a tech to do your wrap or DIY? Risers to the injection point? Turbo?

My exhaust stack/chimney, rises 9' from the engine room through the salon roof. The stack is insulated on the living space side, and will have 1/8" of high performance material on inside of the stack on the exhaust side. Once the 4" exhaust pipe enters the exhaust stack ( chimney), I was planning on not wrapping/blanketing the pipe for the run up the stack. There's a blower pushing air up the stack, and my thought was the pipe would loose some heat in the 9' tall stack before it hits the top of the funnel where the pipe will exit the stack. I'm trying to not melt the paint on the funnel top where the pipe exits the funnel. I guess if that's not possible, I could use some high temperature paint for this area only, or re design the exit point to keep things cool at this point.

I don't have any pictures of the exhaust work as I've not started it yet. It's made it on to the list I keep in my head , which means it's still a couple of weeks away. My typical MO on this build has me kicking around ideas for a few weeks, deciding on which direction I'm heading, sourcing and locating parts, then putting the design together on board.

Conall
Conall's Boat Build

Conall
Conall, on Delfin, I built a 16" square aluminum raceway up through the saloon that I insulated with 1" thick Johns Manville Duct insulation board good for 450 degrees. The 4" stack is wrapped with DEI titanium exhaust wrap good for 2500 degrees. I have no clue what the temp of air inside the raceway, but I doubt it is very hot. Like you, the combustion air pumped into the ER from outside via a blower goes either into the engine or up the stack. The pipe then goes through a Cowl muffler in the 'stackhouse' before exiting through a metal collar that separates the stack from the top of the stackhouse, then it enters a faux 6" stack of polished stainless. I've attached an image of that detail.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Exhaust stack.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	30530  
Old 06-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #36
Grand Vizier

Quote:
The shaft is 2".

I had thought about having a shaft removal hole in the rudder, but chose not to. With having the rudder flanged, it's a fairly easy to remove it , although it's pretty heavy.

I air tested the rudder when I built it, but until now had sort of forgotten about filling with oil until you mentioned it. Do you fill with vegetable based oil? How was the difference in feel? Now that you mentioned it, filling it is going to be bouncing around my head. I know it's early in the game, but I do like my steering system.

Conall
Conall's Boat Build
I filled it with soybean oil. Cheap, although God knows what I'll find growing in there if I ever need to drain it. It just increased the weight of the rudder so seemed less 'lively' in the prop wash. Delfin's rudder is huge and she turns 90 degrees over a very short distance, and I think that killing the buoyancy with the oil just made it seem more solid. Hard to describe, and probably 90% is in my head.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #37
Grand Vizier

Here's a gratuitous tip, Conall.... If you haven't already buried them, wrap your flexible sanitary lines with Denso tape. Keeps them from smelling for a very long time.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:36 PM   #38
Guru

I had a new turbo-to-exhaust pipe welded up, used a 4" bellows then a Donaldson truck muffler, then an adapter to bring the 4" pipe up to 6" and reused the old stack, 'polished' up the old stainless outlet, the bit that comes out of the funnel. I wrapped the entire system, turbo to the top of the inside of the funnel, lowering the wrapped muffler into the funnel. The noise is so much better, normal conversation is now possible in the wheelhouse with all the windows open and the engine room temperature is half of what it was. The wrapping process is a pita compared to the manufactured blankets you just stitch in place, but the cost was about 15% of custom wraps. My only complaint was the box contained one roll of tape which was not enough. An extra roll was necessary whereas I had plenty of wrap. I recommend this method.

Forgot to mention, the only part I am still lacking is a witch's hat, the so-called storm collar that wraps around the exhaust pipe and prevents water from running back down the exhaust pipe. I also need a clever way to cover the end of the pipe when I'm not using the boat. I am thinking a bucket on a handle so I don't have to climb to place and remove it. My friend says to use those large coffee cans and just leave it on there, to see what sort of trajectory you can get when you start up! I think Delfin's design where there is an outer exhaust pipe is a good one as any water would not get inside the actual exhaust pipe. Should have thought of that.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:45 PM   #39
Guru

The pipe:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	30533  
Old 06-14-2014, 07:40 AM   #40

My exhaust side of the stack is 12" x 24". I lined it with some high performance heat shield material to help with radiant heat and sound. I bought a custom blanket for my turbo, and for the rest of the exhaust pipe, I'm wrapping it with ceramic insulation and a an exhaust blanket. For sure not as nice as a custom made exhaust blanket, but I've got to stay in my non existent budget. Once the pipe enters the exhaust stack, it will be unwrapped to try to get some of the heat out of the pipe before it hits the funnel.

I'm going to have a 4" blower in the stack forcing air on to the pipe, along with an 11" DC axial fan pulling air in to the ER. The ER is an air tight room with the doors shut.

I welded a 4" stainless exhaust pipe in to the funnel top, and used a flapper type rain cap. Removing the louvre on the exhaust side of the funnel gives me access to the welded in stainless pipe to clamp on the removable exhaust pipe. I'm hoping I'll be able to cool the pipe enough in the funnel as to not burn paint of the funnel top. I think the welded in 4" pipe is too short and needs to be extended. I could see a situation where exhaust could possibly make/pulled back in to the ER.

This is one of my biggest guesses I've made on the build, but I've left myself room for expansion if more air is needed. This is going to be one of the more closely watched systems once she's in the water later this summer and being pushed.

Conall
Conall's Boat Build
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2019 (640x476).jpg
Views:	73
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	30537