Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #41
Guru
 
Rustybarge's Avatar
 
City: I need a bigger boat!
Country: Ireland
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by funangler View Post
A well built steel boat with a low center of gravity is like a turtle. Slow but well armored against the weather it just plods along. With the current forecasts good for at least 3 days of warning before you get winds over 40 knots I don't think running for cover is a big deal. I bet the change of plans is no less the 6000 us.
Higher, higher......
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Peter.
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #42
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
Higher, higher......
10kUSD
__________________

__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #43
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,111
$25,000
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #44
Guru
 
Rustybarge's Avatar
 
City: I need a bigger boat!
Country: Ireland
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 925
Where did I leave that lottery ticket...?


Quote:
.Peter,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry about a design for a 34ft trawler yacht.

I am somewhat wary of designing in steel for speeds of up to 15kts - a speed which is in the planing zone for a boat of this size - and would recommend you to reduce your maximum speed expectation to 10-12knots. That said I would be pleased to design something for you and my fees would be a minimum of 15,000 - 20,000 plus VAT if applicable. Please let me know if this is of interest.

Regards,

Andrew Wolstenholme
__________________
Peter.
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:02 AM   #45
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
Where did I leave that lottery ticket...?
Well, I was on the low end of his range but did think it would be at least that. Naval architects don't come cheap. And obviously the speed you were expecting is gone. I couldn't see that boat being able to do that. I wouldn't be surprised to see 10-12 knots turn into 8-10.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #46
Guru
 
Rustybarge's Avatar
 
City: I need a bigger boat!
Country: Ireland
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Well, I was on the low end of his range but did think it would be at least that. Naval architects don't come cheap. And obviously the speed you were expecting is gone. I couldn't see that boat being able to do that. I wouldn't be surprised to see 10-12 knots turn into 8-10.
Exactly.

I think I'm able to answer the question : Can you build a S/D trawler in steel?
Ans: No.

Can you build a fast displacement trawler in steel?
Ans: Yes, expect a couple of kts over hull speed; ie: 10kts if you're lucky.

What advantage would a fast steel displacement hull have over a standard displacement type?
Ans: None , still not fast enough to run for shelter.

Why build in steel?
Ans: cost ........


Well at least we found some definite answers.
__________________
Peter.
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:21 AM   #47
123
Member
 
City: ---
Country: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 379
@Peter, have you looked at Bruce Roberts website. An example is this workboat. Sold as CNC Cutting files. ( 1,595 )

Link: Bruce Roberts COASTWORKER

Link of the assembling: Kit assembling photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CW1200-1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	32846  
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #48
Guru
 
Rustybarge's Avatar
 
City: I need a bigger boat!
Country: Ireland
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
@Peter, have you looked at Bruce Roberts website. An example is this workboat. Sold as CNC Cutting files. ( 1,595 )

Link: Bruce Roberts COASTWORKER

Link of the assembling: Kit assembling photos
That's more in by budget!

It's a pretty hull, and the plans even include NC cutting files if you want to get the plates plasma cut. I suppose it's either stack em' high sell them cheap, or custom design for wealthy customers at 20k a pop.

Fantastic value from Bruce Roberts!
__________________
Peter.
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:05 PM   #49
123
Member
 
City: ---
Country: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
That's more in by budget!

It's a pretty hull, and the plans even include NC cutting files if you want to get the plates plasma cut. I suppose it's either stack em' high sell them cheap, or custom design for wealthy customers at 20k a pop.

Fantastic value from Bruce Roberts!
If you are only interrested in the hull then it can be even cheaper (695,00) this is the same hull.

Link: EURO 12mtr.
123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #50
Guru
 
Rustybarge's Avatar
 
City: I need a bigger boat!
Country: Ireland
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiziger View Post
If you are only interrested in the hull then it can be even cheaper (695,00) this is the same hull.

Link: EURO 12mtr.
Now that's what you call real value.

...but unfortunately I was hoping to build a S/D trawler with a 15kts max cruise.
__________________
Peter.
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #51
123
Member
 
City: ---
Country: ---
Vessel Name: ---
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
Now that's what you call real value.

...but unfortunately I was hoping to build a S/D trawler with a 15kts max cruise.
ALUMINUM planing hull version would be capable of 20 - 25 knots when fitted with twin engines of suitable hp.

Ask Bruce what will be the maximum performance build in steel with twin engines installed.

123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #52
Guru
 
Rustybarge's Avatar
 
City: I need a bigger boat!
Country: Ireland
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
If you are not already aware of the fact that the hull no matter the material is the cheapest part of the boat ,know it now. Most of the time and money that go into a new build is based on the guts and finish. The only way the home build becomes a bargain is if owner builder has the skill/know-how and puts the time(lots of time) into the construction. If the home build is not very well done the real cost can come when you have to sell. For the vast majority a used production boat or somebody's used custom or home made is the best way to go. If you have the skills and time and really enjoy building go ahead but be aware that you probably will not save money in the long run. Steel is good building stuff so are all the other options with one big admonition, it has to be done right. For a home builder ply composite is probably easiest to get a good fair job and starting with a professionally molded bare hull such as a DE lobster hull even better. A lot to think about good luck. Ed.

Could you recommend a builder of Down East lobster boat hulls for home completion ?
__________________
Peter.
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #53
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
Could you recommend a builder of Down East lobster boat hulls for home completion ?

Wesmac.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #54
Guru
 
Rustybarge's Avatar
 
City: I need a bigger boat!
Country: Ireland
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Wesmac.
Thanks for that link, very interesting site.
__________________
Peter.
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #55
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post
Thanks for that link, very interesting site.

No problem.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:24 PM   #56
Guru
 
Rustybarge's Avatar
 
City: I need a bigger boat!
Country: Ireland
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 925
The westmac hull looks like a perfect choice to build a Devlin type boat with that beautiful bow section in GRP rather than plywood/epoxy.







The Devlin Topknot: http://store.devlinboat.com/topknot-10_meter.aspx





__________________
Peter.
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #57
Veteran Member
 
City: Baltic Sea
Country: North-Eastern Germany
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 36
Hi Peter, just in case steel isn't ruled out yet: I've spent some time on a Pedro Donky 30. These boats were built for higher than classical full-displacement speeds (look at the flat aft section). The weight is on the low side for a steel-boat of this size and the overall profile is rather low (a Swift-Trawler 34 or a Grand Banks 32 will "tower" the Donky's by a good bit).
Fuel Economy and simple tech in mind we opted for the old Volvo MD31 engine (62HP), but this one wasn't available anymore and we got a Volvo TAMD 31M (110HP) instead. Don't recall exact top-speed in calm water, but it was close to 8.5 knots (and way too loud for our taste).
Other Donky's had much more powerful engines installed, a speed of 12+ knots should be possible. I recall a Donky built for UK-based gents with trim-tabs and (if memory serves) two TAMD41B's (200HP each) installed.
So steel-construction and S/D-speeds can be brought or better forced in line, if really desired.
Please excuse my limited "English", Georg.
GeorgS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #58
Guru
 
Sailor of Fortune's Avatar
 
City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
Country: Port of St Augustine ,FL
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,941
I would look at the Muscle Ridge 42 instead of the Wesmac, unless you had very deep pockets. The Wesmacs are the gold standard of Downeast hulls but if your doing the build yourself, nobody will pay top retail for it down the road. The Muscle Ridge boats are very well built, hard chine (like Wesmac) and a nice platform to begin.
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #59
Guru
 
Rustybarge's Avatar
 
City: I need a bigger boat!
Country: Ireland
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgS View Post
Hi Peter, just in case steel isn't ruled out yet: I've spent some time on a Pedro Donky 30. These boats were built for higher than classical full-displacement speeds (look at the flat aft section). The weight is on the low side for a steel-boat of this size and the overall profile is rather low (a Swift-Trawler 34 or a Grand Banks 32 will "tower" the Donky's by a good bit).
Fuel Economy and simple tech in mind we opted for the old Volvo MD31 engine (62HP), but this one wasn't available anymore and we got a Volvo TAMD 31M (110HP) instead. Don't recall exact top-speed in calm water, but it was close to 8.5 knots (and way too loud for our taste).
Other Donky's had much more powerful engines installed, a speed of 12+ knots should be possible. I recall a Donky built for UK-based gents with trim-tabs and (if memory serves) two TAMD41B's (200HP each) installed.
So steel-construction and S/D-speeds can be brought or better forced in line, if really desired.
Please excuse my limited "English", Georg.
You speak perfect English; better than the majority of Irish people with their own peculiar vernacular vocabulary!


I like the pedro designs; simple with lovely lines.
The Donkey is classified as cat:B offshore too, that's very impressive for what's basically an inland/estuary Dutch cruiser.

If I remember correctly the first pedro designs were frameless construction; but I think so little weight is saved it doesn't make sense as you have to use thicker steel plating to compensate.
__________________
Peter.
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #60
Guru
 
Rustybarge's Avatar
 
City: I need a bigger boat!
Country: Ireland
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
I would look at the Muscle Ridge 42 instead of the Wesmac, unless you had very deep pockets. The Wesmacs are the gold standard of Downeast hulls but if your doing the build yourself, nobody will pay top retail for it down the road. The Muscle Ridge boats are very well built, hard chine (like Wesmac) and a nice platform to begin.
Thanks for that link.
Pretty boats, and there seems to be considerable saving against the Westmac versions.
__________________

__________________
Peter.
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012