Old 10-06-2016, 06:55 AM   #1

City: SOBX North Carolina
23' trailer cruiser

Its been a while since I have been logged in. But I still read the board from time to time. While my hull will not be some fancy condo, my SWMBO and I have started a new cruiser for hopefully a next summer launch and shake down. We will not be able to long ventures, but plan on two to three week excursions at a time, if things goes as planned and the country does not go to pot.

I need to figure out how to post pictures here. I see a section for videos, but only have still photos. Any help? I have all but quit photobucket crap, as its almost impossible to load for some reason.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Click on your name near the upper-right of the page. From there, "Albums" are in the right-hand column. You can create albums and upload photos to them.

Click on any photo, and below the full-size image will be a text box with "BB Code" in it. You can copy and paste that code directly into the text of your post.

And welcome back! Sounds like you've got a great boat for how you plan to use it. In my book, that's the "best" kind of boat.

As for the country going to pot, that's already happened. Go boating and take your mind off it all!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...-etc-5739.html

Post number 6 at the above thread will shorten the learning curve for posting pictures. Welcome back.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #4

Well I finally got this picture stuff figured out. The hull is a glued plywood construction method with a touch of lap planking added to what would have been a slab sided finish. This unfinished build finishes off at 23' 7" and meets the requirement for towing at a beam of 8' 6". While its not going to be a floating condo like so many of the in water hulls, it will meet out needs with all the creature comforts of running water, shower and a composting toilet. I have patterned the back bulkhead, which is showing and have started to configure the cabin side window shape with some previous set ups to get all the proportions and spacing throughout the running length correct.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0327.jpg  
Old 11-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #5

I will finish off the hull profile with a raised bulwalk on the covering boards after I install them in a similar manner of the top of the pattern, except probably a bit more sweep to it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0283.jpg  
Old 12-28-2016, 06:41 AM   #6

Well for anyone interested in the early stages of our little condo on the water,,, We are making progress and have the final cabin profile worked out. We will have the main window open with the aft and forward one fixed in position. The front middle one will open. I insulated the trunk cabin roof and the side decks in hopes that this will minimize any sweating in the cooler climates while cruising in those times.

The forward area is juniper lined veneers, and glued to a substrate, except for the hull sides. They are fastened to their own hull mini frames, and the voids are insulate while also allowing the nice smell from the unfinished backs to encroach the semi closed area.

More to follow...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0440.jpg   IMG_0465.jpg   IMG_0466.jpg   IMG_0477.jpg   IMG_0485.jpg  

bow stateroom wood.jpg  
Old 12-28-2016, 06:47 AM   #7

The main hatch will be big enough and custom made for easy access to the forward cleats and bow pulpit anchor in case I get too lazy to use the walk around, which is also wide enough for walk around with the proposed bulwalk. And yes all the wood is the same, even though with the lighting the wood shows a different shade. But I cut the veneers from two similar boards. Its a real pleasure to work with. And I did all the cosmetics and finish off the boat and then glued them up. This saves a ton of time to and a lot of extra work in closed quarters.

Hopefully we will have it water ready without many of the live aboard features by the first of June and do a small shake down and then finish it up for a winter trip on the west coast of Florida next winter.

At least this gives us something to push towards, as these types of projects always seems to get side tracked. But we have the bug and its later than we think, as the story goes. ;<}
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0470.jpg   IMG_0471.jpg  
Old 12-28-2016, 07:11 AM   #8

City: Toronto ON
Thanks for sharing, looks lovely!

RB
Roamer Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Nice project
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:08 PM   #10

Well a few more tidbits,,, I have added mahogany veneers to the trunk back to the cabin. I have also worked out room and the arrangement for the full stand up head. It will be fore and aft. I will add the forward bulkhead with windows in both , with the option of curtains. This gives me more available light and vision towards the transom and portside. With this layout I get a wider door for light and access to the interior for a more open feeling.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0565.jpg   IMG_0557.jpg   IMG_0556.jpg   IMG_0552.jpg  
Old 01-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #11

Does anyone else have any problems of a photo enlarging and blacking completely out when you click on the thumbnails to enlarge them? Its impossible to anything on the screen. This happens to me on every other thread too.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #12
Guru

Everything appears to function well for me. If you are on a mobile device (Android or iOS) delete your app and load the new one from the store or Play. They've been redone lately.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
Old 01-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #13

I am on a simple desktop , Windows 7. Nothing works for me when I click on any photos on the site that's on any thread. It just goes black. Oh well, not too smart anyway with these electron things.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:41 PM   #14

Well some progress,, I have the cabin layout completed. The galley will have a full sized single sink on one end. On the other end I will have a two burner stove. Below the stove I will have a 12 volt frig-freezer combination.

On the other side a dinette with tons of storage is locked in. Behind the dinette I am creating a hidden head. The fold down bulkhead will rest on a half fixed knee half way, and a hinged short door. On the top and when in use, a bifold type door that will rest against the back bulkhead will fold back over the short partisan and close everything up.

With this setup, this gives me a cabin that has an open feeling and almost full vision aft, with the large entrance area down the centerline.

The area behind the galley counter is a full sized juniper lined hanging locker, with two drawers below it. I will be carrying 20 gallons of fresh water, which I think will be enough for the needs of two to three days, except any showering on deck.
Attached Thumbnails
interior room.jpg   hanging locker, cedar lined.jpg   galley counter.jpg   head.jpg   head hidden.jpg  

dinette arrangment.jpg  
Old 02-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #15
Guru

It seems to be coming together nicely

Old 02-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #16
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I love that little dinette. I long for one on our Willy.
We'd loose prime storage space.
And there's always something more important.

The fwd corner wondows look like Peter's CHB 34.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #17

Storage?? I am actually overloaded with storage space on this cruiser, including that dinette area. Every void will have something in it. Heck the seat tops extend under the covering boards giving me an open area for my SWMBO can store a readily available bird book.

I will have a hinged hatch on the step box. between the seats. The seats will end up with single shelves and hinged doors in the upright panels. I have yet to rough in the seat backs. But the forward seat back will do double duty for facing forward when its fully operational. I will have storage below decks with a hatch down the center line for canned goods.

Of course the forward cabin has storage under the bunks. And I will add enclosed cabinets under the covering boards in the forward cabin too. They will not be in the way of sitting upright on the bunks either. The more I think about it, I will probably end up with about the same amount of weight in gear and provisions as the entire boat weighs.

I am more than ready for a short cruise when the weather gets warmer. Just got to keep at it.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:10 PM   #18
Memorial Member

City: Lafayette,LA
Vessel Name: Evangeline
Vessel Model: 35" Flybridge Sedan Senator
Very nice!
Higgins boats, PTs and D98 Mossies were all made of plywood.
What is your propulsion choice?
Old 02-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #19
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Looking great!
A trailer cruiser certainly has it's advantages. You are certainly making the most of the available space.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:49 AM   #20
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchnsaw View Post
Well I finally got this picture stuff figured out. The hull is a glued plywood construction method with a touch of lap planking added to what would have been a slab sided finish. This unfinished build finishes off at 23' 7" and meets the requirement for towing at a beam of 8' 6". While its not going to be a floating condo like so many of the in water hulls, it will meet out needs with all the creature comforts of running water, shower and a composting toilet. I have patterned the back bulkhead, which is showing and have started to configure the cabin side window shape with some previous set ups to get all the proportions and spacing throughout the running length correct.
Pretty looking hull; What design is it?

I'm considering a trailer boat build too, and was looking at the glen-l tug boat designs which have the plumb bow the same as your build. I'm presuming its a planing hull; what sort of ob power are you going to fit?

Its going to be lovely boat.