23' trailer cruiser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its got the rubberized pad on it and did not move the last trip. But when I return I plan on building an overhead cabinet for it with some additional paper good storage. This will give me back some counter space.

Secure the microwave within the cabinet too.
Never enough counter space

Very nice build. I'm diggin the woodwork as the others are.

Secure the microwave within the cabinet too.
Never enough counter space
Oh I will. And I mistyped and cannot edit my reply. But a similar piece on the counter did not move, not the microwave. Sorry for the confusion.
But we are the type that seeks out calm waters and will not be in a hurry. We are afterall where we want to be, something sailboat folks tells us a lot, except in a bit more comfort for the size.;)
ben2goVery nice build. I'm diggin the woodwork as the others are.

Oh in the plastic world these days, for me its still hard not to have some wood on a boat. And to me its not that much more work. Having a boat live on a trailer makes a huge difference in minimizing what people consider to be additional maintenance from plastic hulls. Thanks,

Oh I will. And I mistyped and cannot edit my reply. But a similar piece on the counter did not move, not the microwave. Sorry for the confusion.
But we are the type that seeks out calm waters and will not be in a hurry. We are afterall where we want to be, something sailboat folks tells us a lot, except in a bit more comfort for the size.;)

Oh in the plastic world these days, for me its still hard not to have some wood on a boat. And to me its not that much more work. Having a boat live on a trailer makes a huge difference in minimizing what people consider to be additional maintenance from plastic hulls. Thanks,

Wood on the inside and plastic on the outside. That way you can sit inside enjoying the wood instead of being on the outside, sanding and varnishing the wood.

Wood on the inside and plastic on the outside. That way you can sit inside enjoying the wood instead of being on the outside, sanding and varnishing the wood.
About wood, its all a matter of personal opinions, some gathered from years of being around it and learning the numerous methods of reducing what people feel is all the added work that comes with it..[that's a mouth full];)

Vertical wood that's finished clear and prepped and done with enough material on it is a piece of cake to maintain. Its no more work , to me its less than all that waxing that takes place on gel coat boats if you want it to show "proper".

But personally I feel that I will continue to allow the overwhelming majority of people to be the modern day of being normal and mundane. Anyone with some bucks can buy plastic and go boating. But for us it more about the extra enjoyment to us of being on a "warm boat" brought to us by the wood. If you got to ask what I mean about it, then you probably are not a candidate for one, [spoken in general terms and respectively of course]

We can sit inside the boat and outside and smell the pleasant variety of the different types of wood and finishes and they will never be all that one constant stinky polyester that I hate too and it almost makes me sick to my stomach. Did I forget to tell you that I like wood?

Last edited:
Nice work.

Scratch wrote;
“wood that's finished clear and prepped and done with enough material on it is a piece of cake to maintain. Its no more work , to me its less than all that waxing that takes place on gel coat boats if you want it to show "proper".

Show or not many or us prefer wood. And if you want low maint just get a plywood boat. And as Scratch says above we know how to finish so as to keep the undesirable stuff to a minimum. And maybe we don’t even want to buy a boat. We can make one for a very small fraction of what it costs to buy a plastic boat and even less compared to an aluminum boat. And there are some of us that know we probably won’t want the same boat forever too. Who needs a boat that lasts forever.

The one sizeable boat I built was done as a proof of concept boat. No others existed. Nor do they now. And I couldn’t have built one lighter than a plywood boat since it was an ultralight designed boat. So it had to be plywood for economy as well. A build that light would require very expensive materials and infrastructure. So it was plywood and I only had to (after the fact) reinforce it in one place.

And then there are those that just LOVE the looks of wood. The feel of it, the smell of it and the solid sound of it. Many things to like about wood. You may be inclined to ask me “then why do you own a plastic boat”? The answer is that we were moving to Alaska and you can imagine how hard it is to maintain a wood boat in Alaska. At the time I owned a 29’ composit boat (Doglass Fir in sandwich w FG) and the Willard. One had to go.

Last edited:
I would not stop short of owning only an aluminum hull if I lived in Alaska. But I would still own something on the order of a Tolman type hull or the newer and larger Great Alaskan if I had indoor storage for either boat that resides on an trailer. Thank you Cliff.

Well the boat performed as planned. The layout and set up for the interior could not have been better on our needs and trip. And without radar, the fog in Maine required some refresher skills of operation, like depending on your navigational equipment, since its been a while since we have boated in such dense white outs. Those big rocks up that way don't give too much. ;)

Thanks everyone for following along on the build. Now on to the next phase of "polishing". I still have some trimming and some second coats on the finish paint to do. But hopefully over the next month this will happen. Maybe we will try to do a trip or two inland to some of the get togethers if I can find the correct ramp for launching in the regions.

FANTASTIC.

Change 1, Add RADAR

Dan this is a 23’ OB.
I had radar on a 22' center console. If you have a multi function display, it's pretty easy to add an 18 to 24" dome radar. If you run in fog, rain or at night, radar should be considered a necessity.

Ted

With all due respect, war is not the answer. Translation fog does not bother me and I don't have to go out in it unless I have to or get caught in it. Thankfully with all of the resources at your fingertips as it relates to weather radar, forecasts and weather patterns in certain locations, I can sit right on anchor and look at it all day and night long.

But not to toot my own horn, early on I learned to go into the open water with a compass, watch, and a set of parallels for paper charts. So I feel pretty confident running even though currently its not longer necessary to do so.

But in the future my bulk of my cruising will be in the bay area and down south, where for the most part fog is a foreign word to everyone.

But I also do not have the space to install a radar if I had money to burn. And being on a limited time frame when we were up north, fog does sometimes impact your time on the water. But we were also mainly interested in seeing what we would need at the maximum for approx. two weeks of supplies for on the water running.

We were actually over prepared, but that's fine too. Our last cruiser was too sparse. But anyway interesting discussion as all these boats have built in compromises.

Last edited:
Ted,
“not have the space” or “if I had money to burn” says it all.
That would probably be my response too.
I’ll bet he dosn’t have space for a washer and drier either ...... like me and my boat is much larger.

Ted,
I’ll bet he dosn’t have space for a washer and drier either ...... like me and my boat is much larger.
Depends on how many clothes you dirty... Overall Dimensions: 23-1/2"(W) x 15"(L) x 27"(H)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Della-Co...3539&wl11=online&wl12=159127549&wl13=&veh=sem

But again my granny used a wash tube and in boot camp we used the shower floor to do laundry. ;) So I would say that the washing machine while being a luxury over and above a wash tube or bucket anyway, it may be another option worth considering, even using it while sitting at a dock awaiting the fog bank to lift. Of course personally I don't carry enough water to do a load on anchor. But the inverter will run the machine and my generator will surely work too with the little draw for these types of mini washing machines.

Last edited:
Any convenience and or luxury item is nice but they take up space and not to forget about the weight they add to a boat.
Glad your trip went well despite the fog. My idea is if you are in a situation were you need radar, stay at the dock or home. One time we used our boat in the dark and preferably never again. Sailboats at anchor with only a little light 100 feet up.

Egbert

I had radar on a 22' center console. If you have a multi function display, it's pretty easy to add an 18 to 24" dome radar. If you run in fog, rain or at night, radar should be considered a necessity.

Ted

Ted,

Like I said originally, if he has a multi function display, nothing else is added to the helm as the radar shows on the MFD. Only addition is the radar antenna on top.

Ted

I’ll agree to that Ted.
I think in terms of dedicated instruments.
So you’re right it could easily be done .. w a few bucks.

ejds,
Love your Bluejacket!

Like I said originally, if he has a multi function display, nothing else is added to the helm as the radar shows on the MFD. Only addition is the radar antenna on top.

Ted
It is my opinion and observation over the course of a few years that if you have one multi function piece of equipment and for some reason the unit breaks down, you are still SOL. I am a firm believer in separate navigation units for that very reason. You are also very vulnerable even with the combination of plotter and depth recorder if you have a hiccup in that type of unit.

Many people rely on those units without even considering having a compass on their boat for a backup and know how to plot a course on a paper chart. So even on a clear day and in unfamiliar territory if you do not have a dedicated depth recorder you are at risk of doing some damage if you are boating in inside coastal waters and limited area bays on a transit route such as what you see in Maine. And try that in the Carolinas too.

The best that you can do is to have a lead line you know.;) Do you have one of those on your boat?

So with this size boat and my particular wishes of cruising, a radar or a unit with a radar included in it is not going to happen.

And no radar will pick up these floats in the fog, set at random and like someone took a salt shaker and sprinkled them around. I liked my position too on a couple of days, but did manage to make my way in the limited condition. But it was pretty and the quietness that laying on anchor brings in the fog is hard to beat with mama, IMO. ;):socool::thumb:

Attachments

• DSC09995.jpg
    DSC09995.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC00016.jpg
    DSC00016.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 54
It is my opinion and observation over the course of a few years that if you have one multi function piece of equipment and for some reason the unit breaks down, you are still SOL. I am a firm believer in separate navigation units for that very reason. You are also very vulnerable even with the combination of plotter and depth recorder if you have a hiccup in that type of unit.

Many people rely on those units without even considering having a compass on their boat for a backup and know how to plot a course on a paper chart. So even on a clear day and in unfamiliar territory if you do not have a dedicated depth recorder you are at risk of doing some damage if you are boating in inside coastal waters and limited area bays on a transit route such as what you see in Maine. And try that in the Carolinas too.

The best that you can do is to have a lead line you know.;) Do you have one of those on your boat?

So with this size boat and my particular wishes of cruising, a radar or a unit with a radar included in it is not going to happen.

One of the nice things about 2 MFD and a NMEA 2000 network is that if you lose one display, all the stuff can be displayed on the other display, redundancy. If you lose the display of your stand alone depth gauge, your out of luck. With a transducer feeding the NMEA 2000 network, depth can be displayed on either MFD. Add a second transducer and you have complete redundancy. I have 2 transducers and several displays. No need for a lead line.

When you're out of sight of land, and your GPS goes down, do you plan to use a radio directional finder or wait for dark and use celestial navigation? :rolleyes:

For a boater who has such a dim view of modern electronics, you seem to have an awful lot of faith in an electronically controlled outboard. Have a backup pair of oars? :rolleyes:

And no radar will pick up these floats in the fog, set at random and like someone took a salt shaker and sprinkled them around. I liked my position too on a couple of days, but did manage to make my way in the limited condition. But it was pretty and the quietness that laying on anchor brings in the fog is hard to beat with mama, IMO. ;):socool::thumb:

My radar would pick those markers up at 100' on a flat calm day, but then it's 6kw.

Ted

Depends on how many clothes you dirty... Overall Dimensions: 23-1/2"(W) x 15"(L) x 27"(H)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Della-Co...3539&wl11=online&wl12=159127549&wl13=&veh=sem

I have the next size smaller aboard Seaweed. This one: $55 on Amazon incidentally
WasherPlusHalfLoad.jpg

The article isn't written (yet) however:
#1) it's great
and
#2) it's awfully labor intensive

But I like it sometimes. For sheets and such it's great -- much easier than hand washing. But aboard Seaweed the size is just barely too big for where I wanted to put it. (When purchased, the dimensions on Amazon were wrong -- I could have returned it but didn't)

Frankly I have gone back and forth so many times about this unit. I'm not sure I would buy it again. More accurately, I probably would not buy it again. That's because today I did a load. And it's physically challenging.

There will be an article upcoming (but probably not until September)
I'm still working on the pictures for tomorrow's piece, but I needed a dose of friendship so came here to visit.

Greetings y'all!

Hey Janice!! Missed you around these parts. It's been a while! I gotta check out your blog.

Cheers!

One of the nice things about 2 MFD and a NMEA 2000 network is that if you lose one display, all the stuff can be displayed on the other display, redundancy. If you lose the display of your stand alone depth gauge, your out of luck. With a transducer feeding the NMEA 2000 network, depth can be displayed on either MFD. Add a second transducer and you have complete redundancy. I have 2 transducers and several displays. No need for a lead line.

When you're out of sight of land, and your GPS goes down, do you plan to use a radio directional finder or wait for dark and use celestial navigation? :rolleyes:

For a boater who has such a dim view of modern electronics, you seem to have an awful lot of faith in an electronically controlled outboard. Have a backup pair of oars? :rolleyes:

My radar would pick those markers up at 100' on a flat calm day, but then it's 6kw.

Ted
I am impressed with your superior smack down. Keep boating in those calm and clear days on your condo and enjoying your multi function electronics. I don't know if I would admit that I needed a radar on a clear day either.

Thanks Janice for the feedback. As it relates to the amount of room some of this stuff requires, we found out that we have more storage space than needed, which filled up with stuff[weight] that we brought back home. But we were prepared for a wide variety of needs and that was just part of the intent for the trip. Our next extended trip will be down your way, where I am sure that you do not worry about the need for a radar. :D Thanks for checking in.

Last edited:
This thread needs lipstick and sunshine now. I found some real beauties at an anchorage. Cheers :thumb:

Attachments

• DSC09977.jpg
    DSC09977.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC09976.jpg
    DSC09976.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 52
Yes they are!
Thanks for keeping it real ��

First the easier part. Perhaps if you lowered the RADAR beam, you could pick up all or most of the buoys?

I agree with O C Diver. I have a separate/stand alone 'glue in the hull' depth sounding transducer to supplement the main depth sounding thru hull transducer.
I also have a separate stand alone rudder indicator.
I figure with these two items, a compass and reasonable updated paper charts or a chart book, you can either get home or your next port o'call.
Of course all bets are off if you do not post your hourly position to your charts and when making a significant course change (with the time.)

Last edited:
First the easier part. Perhaps if you lowered the RADAR beam, you could pick up all or most of the buoys?

I agree with O C Diver. I have a separate/stand alone 'glue in the hull' depth sounding transducer to supplement the main depth sounding thru hull transducer.
I also have a separate stand alone rudder indicator.
I figure with these two items, a compass and reasonable updated paper charts or a chart book, you can either get home or your next port o'call.
Of course all bets are off if you do not post your hourly position to your charts and when making a significant course change (with the time.)
My last comment on dealing with electronics on this boat,, I am not opposed to the new age gear. We still believe in beginning with the basics and any and all electronics are a plus. This way if mainly I become unable to operate the boat while underway, she is more than capable of stepping into the helm and continuing on and will get us ashore. For this I am truly blessed after hearing stories from fellows that cannot even get their partners on their boat for a single day on the water.

But every boat and every person weighs what is practical and needed, even at the worse case scenario. Since this is not our first rodeo and my wife and I have close to 35 years on the water together in both large and small craft, we feel comfortable with the way we are currently rigged and just fine for now for my intended use.
Thanks for everyone's concerns.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom