Old 06-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #81

City: southern California
For a variety of not very interesting reasons (and a few much too interesting ones) Iíve taken a break from my own thread. But I have been working on the trawler, just not as much as Iíd like and off-line.

But I thought Iíd ease back into the Internet life with a project I completed this morning. A real transom shower. I like to do a lot of diving and free diving, and the POís version of a ďtransom showerĒ was a running joke.

Here is his solution before and after I cut it out:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0150.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	77399 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0151.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	77400 So yes, thatís a bathroom fixture wire tied in place. In the back corner, and facing opposite the hatch, in the aft cockpit lazarette. Using this hose:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	77401 to reach the swim step. Needless to say, this was less than ideal.

So installed a new one I bought from Defender like 18 months ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	77402Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	77403. Iím still not super stoked with the hose routing, and Iíll end up replacing all of it after summer when I redo the freshwater system, but it works for now.

Iím in a rush to try and scratch lines off the list this week because I have to go work the next 7 days, and then the day I get off I hope to head out to the islands for a few days.

I got the dingy davits installed last month, for my cool new RIB with an actual running outboard (heh, rowing is right out now) stowage.

I do love this boat, and working on her.

questionmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #82

Ok, so just a quick one because when it rains it pours...

Iím putting in a second plotter, this one up with the radios and not on the dash. It was really getting ratty back there (and with no-one to blame but me) so I fished some cable management stuff out of the back of the closet and cleaned it up a bit. Before and after...

Name:	IMG_0157.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	77406Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	77407

Still needs some work on the column down, but a good quick hit to finish the day.

Josh

Old 07-03-2018, 10:25 PM   #83

I should have taken more pictures, but today was a super productive day. The new belts werenít in yet, so the engine projects are on hold till Thursday, but thereís several little loose ends that needed finishing.

The new plotter is all wired up, on the correct circuit, and is linked in with N2K and Garminís version of Ethernet (which works just fine with normal cables.)

I replaced one of the last two incandescent lights in the boat, that being my reading light in the V-berth. I had a chart table flexible LED light sitting around, so now I have a red and white LED reading light over my side of the bed. And, I rerouted the wiring in the cabinet properly and swapped out a threesome of butt splice crimps for a properly done terminal strip.

I added a few 12v outlets so that I can stop charging phones off the back of the TV. The TV came with the boat. We donít have TV at home, but on my project list is a Raspberry Pi based HTPC for the boat so we can use the TV for more than just a big USB outlet.

I finally swapped out the old dead electric horn for a shiny new two horn air powered model. Itís much louder(as in it actually works) and sounds pretty nice. Now I can put away the canned air horn Iíve been using. Buttons at both helms, so I can sound the horn from either.

I ran the wire for the windlass control up to the flybridge. Ran out of time so I didnít install the switch, but that should happen on Thursday. I also moved the power to my GMI-10 display from the ďSalon LightsĒ to ďInstrumentsĒ circuit like I should have done initially. One of the reasons why I like plain English labels instead of circuit numbers. I added a few more labels to hopefully avoid the same mistake in the future.

Josh
Old 07-04-2018, 07:15 AM   #84
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
This is a great stage to have reachedóseeing tangible results like operating plotters and horns, vs the dull but necessary foundational work that we often have to start with on a refit. Congrats!
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #85

Yesterday was pretty productive. I got the pulley off the old raw water pump, but it wasnít fitting the keyed shaft easily. Rather than pound on it at the boat, Iíve brought it to work where I have much better tools.

Hereís the ďold and bustedĒ vs. the ďnew hotnessĒ in pump-land:

Name:	IMG_0201.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	78257Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	78258.

I got the stove working again. Last year, on a crossing back from Santa Barbara Island, it was rough enough that the propane bottle mounting was broken and the bottle flailed around (before I figured out what the banging was) and wrecked the propane system. So now thatís fixed, and the bottle is double strapped and secured with some all-thread. Weíve been cooking on a camp stove sitting on the built in, so thatís one more thing off the boat.

I added a few more 12v outlets, these up in the V-berth. I have a CPAP machine and this will make it much more convenient to use. Iíve been using it on its own battery and then recharging, now I can just run it off the house bank.

This last project is a bit odd. I mounted an old 7Ē Android tablet that I had laying around. Itís in the V-berth on my side. Iím going to use it as an instrumentation repeater down below. Now that my wife and kid are taking watches on night passage, I have a fixed way of checking while off watch. We did our first one last year and I used my phone, now itíll just be installed. It probably seems crazy, but it allows me to check up on things without intruding on them and seeming like Iím checking up on them. As someone who has done a lot of single-handing, I havenít made the adjustment to sleeping solidly ďoff watchĒ and it will make it convenient just to take a quick peek at the radar/AIS when I pop awake every hour. Iím hoping that as we get more hours in together that will go away, but for now Iíve facilitated my neuroses.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0204.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	78259.

I ended up taking the dinghy out to the anchorage to help a fellow boater with some electrical issues. It was nice to look at a different set of projects for a bit. I had the cables he needed in a box of old wiring, so thatís more stuff off the boat.

It looks like the weather might line up with my days off and the wife and I can make it out to San Miguel Island next week. Sheís never been, and itís been five years since my last foray out there. Hopefully weíll trial a few of the new things before our two week Catalina trip next month.

Josh
Old 07-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #86

2 year refit of C&L 37 Europa

Iíve been plugging away and making good progress since we got back from a great four days at the islands. That being said, I thought I had removed most of the POís booby traps.

I missed one!

So I wanted to remove the TV antenna amplifier box since I removed the TV antenna last week to install a wind instrument (Iím a total weather geek.) I had seen the power cord disappearing into a cabinet when I was running new wire for DC outlets in a drawer cabinet. So I figured Iíd just cut it and back pull rather than remove all the drawers again...

Imagine my surprise when I cut it and blew the 110V AC outlet circuit with my cutters. I didnít even know it was an AC device.

So after checking my underwear for marks, I started tracing it back down, and hereís what I found!

Name:	IMG_0247.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	79026

Yep! They spliced in a plug strip into the outlet box, and then crimped a plug onto the downstream wire they removed, and plugged it in. Iíve been using the outlet downstream of that when in the slip. Then they crimped the AC plug onto the amplifier cord and plugged it in...

Iíve changed most of the AC outlets out, but apparently I didnít do that string, an error I shall be rectifying shorty (pun intended.)

Arghhhh!!!!! So frustrating. I thought I was past this stage!

Josh
Old 07-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #87
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Lol! Well now, if that’s not ABYC certified, I don’t know what is!

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallowsĒ.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:04 PM   #88
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
You gotta love DIY wiring. I had somethings like that in my boat when I bought it. They had added a 30 amp inlet without any bepreaker and just hot wired it to the distribution bus bar. Many other things. My boat would trip the GFIs on the dock just by plugging it in without anything turned on. I ended up replacing the main panel and doing a lot of rewiring. I can now plug into a GFI dock without any problems. Good luck with your projects.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:26 PM   #89

Just to continue my ranting... I just got done replacing their ďaddedĒ outlets, since as I was working my way back I found a stretch of solid conductor 14-3 Romex (and you had to know they used the red instead of the white) and replaced it. I had some wire left over from the last bit of the AC system I fixed, so now thereís no more solid conductor wire (that I know of) on board.

I really hadnít planned on spending a couple hours playing AC. But itís done now, and Iíve finished most of the DC stuff I had planned for today. I just need to finish terminating the new DC Outlet runs down in the engine space. Iím using shrink terminals and shrink wrap. Every wire gets a label from the label maker and a clear heat shrink over it. It makes everything take longer now, but saves so much time later when I donít have to try and remember what goes where.

Josh
Old 07-27-2018, 10:19 PM   #90

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Love this sort of stuff. My boat was mostly wired with Romex and wire nuts wrapped in balls of electrical tape. In year one I found a hot wire, with the insulated part wrapped around a seacock.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:40 PM   #91
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmark View Post
Just to continue my ranting... I just got done replacing their ďaddedĒ outlets, since as I was working my way back I found a stretch of solid conductor 14-3 Romex (and you had to know they used the red instead of the white) and replaced it. I had some wire left over from the last bit of the AC system I fixed, so now thereís no more solid conductor wire (that I know of) on board.

I really hadnít planned on spending a couple hours playing AC. But itís done now, and Iíve finished most of the DC stuff I had planned for today. I just need to finish terminating the new DC Outlet runs down in the engine space. Iím using shrink terminals and shrink wrap. Every wire gets a label from the label maker and a clear heat shrink over it. It makes everything take longer now, but saves so much time later when I donít have to try and remember what goes where.

Josh
I feel your pain, oh yes I feel your pain. When I saw my fresh water pump wired with 4 different pieces of wires on a 2 feet length, from solid to bigger and smaller size but also of different colors (not yet above the rainbow but not so far away) , jointed with electric tape I had a revelation... I knew that next thing to tackle will be wiring (sight).

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #92
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Not trying to get into one-upsmanship, but I just found the source of a clacking noise in my starboard TwinDisc. It was a bad damper plate. Why was it bad? Five of the seven bolts that should have been securing the transmission to the bell housing were missing. Whoever installed this gearbox in 2001Ėor put a new damper in since thenóforgot to install them. The tranny has been held in place by two bolts and the shaft. Still blows my mind.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #93

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
"I feel your pain, oh yes I feel your pain. When I saw my fresh water pump wired with 4 different pieces of wires on a 2 feet length, from solid to bigger and smaller size but also of different colors (not yet above the rainbow but not so far away) , jointed with electric tape I had a revelation... I knew that next thing to tackle will be wiring (sight)."

WOW what a coincidence that's the SAME GUY that owned my boat!!!
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #94

Iíve been working on the battery system, and documenting it in another thread. When itís done Iíll post an update on it here.

But Iíve gotten to the point where thereís so much project crap sitting all over everywhere that I canít find the parts I need when I need them. So I took a few hours from the wiring project today and converted our ďshowerĒ officially to storage. Itís been storage since day 1, now itís just ďmore organized storage.Ē

Hereís before, although with 90% of the tools removed because theyíre all up in the salon where Iíve been working...

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	82084

And hereís what it looks like after a quick install of HD style closet organizer shelves. Itís not the bomber customs Iíd like to have, but itíll work and itís done. The harbor WM doesnít carry shock cord by the foot, so Iíll have to hit the other one on my way out today. I have the rest of the stuff to make nets along the shelf fronts to keep everything in place while underway, I just need the shock cord.

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	82085

If youíre wondering about that backing plate, itís for my SSB antenna. When I move the SSB over from the other boat it and the tuner will go in the space behind the shower seat.

Josh
Old 12-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #95

Heh. Guess what this idiot is doing with his days off this week...

Name:	IMG_0529.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	83262
Old 12-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #96
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. q.

Taking the family to Taco Bell?
Old 12-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #97
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. q.

Taking the family to Taco Bell?
Good one...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:41 AM   #98
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionmark View Post
Heh. Guess what this idiot is doing with his days off this week...

Attachment 83262
Replacing the waste tank.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Replacing the waste tank.

How did you guess?

Actually, thatís phase 2. All that PPE is for cutting out the old black iron fuel tank.

And while Iím rarely serious, on a very serious note those safety glasses just saved my eye. I was cutting overhead and a big old chunk of red hot metal hit me dead in the face. Hit the glasses and rolled down off the bridge of my nose and just gave me about a 1/8Ē square patch of second degree burn on my nose. So I think Iíll call it a day on the cutting project.

My wife and I did manage to finish the arch install on Saturday. Here it is in all its glory, ready for the solar panel mounts.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0515.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	83366

Hereís a pic of the tank removal. I managed to turn the corner before the incident today, both figuratively and literally...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0533.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	83367. So that corner on the right side of the photo is now gone. I removed that wooden tank spacer, and now I can get my arm back along that side to clear my blade path and use the saws-all instead of all grinder. The saws-all is definitely faster and easier. And less likely to blind me...

I think I can finish cutting the tank out by the end of the week. I just need two more solid days at it and I think Iíll have it. Assuming I donít run into any complications. But what are the odds of that???

Josh