Old 01-31-2017, 09:01 PM   #61
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. q. VERY nice!

Old 02-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #62

City: southern California
2 year refit of C&L 37 Europa

Quick update on today's progress: Not much.

Instead of spending the morning helping the bigger kids with their engineering sessions, I got roped into doing that AND fabricating a wind tunnel for the little kids' project. I hadn't planned on spending all day there, but I did manage to cut the acrylic version of the DC panel while the glue was drying on the wind tunnel frame.
Name:  IMG_1515.JPG
Views: 632
Size:  8.9 KB
I'll start populating it tonight after the kid goes to bed.

I did make it down to the boat for a few hours work while he was at sailing practice, though. I put the wood template in place and discovered that my helm cabinetry is way out of square. I didn't expect it to be great, but it's pretty bad. It's even more pronounced with a properly square panel edge in place.
Name:  IMG_1516.JPG
Views: 615
Size:  9.3 KB

I did get the cutout finished. That was entertaining because I needed to remove the old stuff to cut out the dash, but I needed AC power to run the tool to do the cutting...

Once the cut out was finished and dry fit, I took it back out and started working on the wiring harness. I got about this far before I had to go pick up the kid from practice.
Name:  IMG_1517.JPG
Views: 609
Size:  12.0 KB

questionmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:06 AM   #63
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Is the selector switch next to the shore power source diagram for selecting which shore power plug is used, or is that switch located elsewhere?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Is the selector switch next to the shore power source diagram for selecting which shore power plug is used, or is that switch located elsewhere?

Ted

Yes, the diagram shows which inlet is which. It's kind of redundant since the selector has "power available" indicators for each source. But it balances the space and looks kinda cool :-).
Old 02-03-2017, 12:34 PM   #65

Quick rant...

I'm cutting out the old AC wiring and found this...
Name:  IMG_1525.JPG
Views: 575
Size:  8.2 KB which had been placed in line. Here's what's under several layers of electrical tape and rubber liquid tape:
Name:  IMG_1528.JPG
Views: 575
Size:  14.1 KB

Yep, a brass bolt and nut. Now, I find this kind of thing all the time, but what kills me about this example is that they obviously extended the wire run (which for the record is scabbed in 6 gauge wire with strands trimmed down to fit in 10 gauge terminals) for no reason. When I backpulled the originals, it. reached. just. fine.

Ok, back to work...
Old 02-03-2017, 02:27 PM   #66
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Don't you just love someone's creative wiring? I just started cleaning up the wiring on my boat. Just replacing the cable ends on the start cables got me another volt. Have replaced many old ground bus bars that were very corroded. Another couple of years and all will be well.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Don't you just love someone's creative wiring? I just started cleaning up the wiring on my boat. Just replacing the cable ends on the start cables got me another volt. Have replaced many old ground bus bars that were very corroded. Another couple of years and all will be well.

As I discovered yesterday to my dismay, there's a wiring fault somewhere in my outlet circuit, I think at the distribution strip down in the bilge. After hooking everything up, my AC outlets no longer function. Both the hot and neutral are 110V to GND at the outlets. I have the proper 110V between hot and neutral at my terminal strip in the dash.

At first I thought crossed wires, but that would have tripped the breaker. So it must be a broken neutral path. I'm guessing and hoping that re-terminating the ends in the bilge will fix it. I probably should do that anyway, but I was really hoping to stop hemorrhaging time on this part.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #68
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Any time spent sorting out the boat's electrical system is time very well spent. Not one bit wasted. You will also sleep on board much better once you've done it! Knowing that nothing is going to short and start a fire....
Old 02-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #69

Victory!!! The new AC panel is in. That only took four days longer than it should have...

Here it is:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1555.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	61371

After spending the last three days running down a series of wiring issues, it's finally in. As a function of feature creep in this one, the new shore power inlet is in and hooked up, portions of the wiring harness between the panel and the bilge terminals was replaced, the parts are here to re-terminate the bilge terminal strips (and replace the strips) and all the outlets in the boat are now GFCI protected. Oh, and all but one of the wires in the AC system is labeled.

Whew.

Here's a view from a few days ago of how it looks under the hood. I've cleaned it up a bit since then. When I dig back under there for the DC panel replacement (which starts tomorrow afternoon) I'll snap a final pic.
Name:  IMG_1536.JPG
Views: 541
Size:  11.3 KB
But you get the idea.

Along the way I found that my ground was tied to neutral in more than one place, and that I had a ground leak anywhere from 100 to 500 mV to ground. And I had a bunch of corroded outlets to replace. But it's in and working, and I'm feeling pretty good about it. For tonight at least.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:51 PM   #70

An update:

I haven't posted anything because there really hasn't been any visible progress, at least not any visible to others. I've been working on the DC system and chasing down rabbit hole after rabbit hole. I just keep cutting stuff out.

Here's a pic of the new bilge wiring setup. I haven't dressed or secured anything yet, as I'm waiting till I'm through the troubleshooting phase. You know, the "now why doesn't this work anymore... oh I see, because I'm an idiot!" phase. There's still a few loose wires that I'm trying to decide what to do with, and that stuff all hanging down needs to move. But it's where I am right now.

Name:	IMG_1605.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	62256

So, the existing wires were (mostly) reterminated and sealed. The terminal strips were replaced, the grounds moved to a proper bus bar, and the wiring harnesses built and extended up into the cabinet behind the panel. I've used heat shrink crimps in the bilge, and then added a bit of additional heat shrink for strain relief. The engine room is also the bilge, so I'm considering it a "wet location."

This afternoon I'll (hopefully) finish the panel harness and install it. I dropped the panel and cracked it, so I now have an excuse to make a few changes and cut a new one. I'll put it on the to-do list
Old 03-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #71
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. q. "Looking good Lucy..." Hahaha...I thought I was the only one who employed the "..."now why doesn't this work anymore... oh I see, because I'm an idiot!" phase." I've scratched my head so many times at wiring, both installing but mostly removing, I've got a bald spot.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #72

We have lights again! Just in time for the time change...

I got the first third of the new panel hooked up, and it works well. In the process I ended up re-terminating a bunch of wires in the dash. Project creep at its finest.

I also just ordered some thicker acrylic for the final panel fab, the 1/8" is just too thin for the weight of all the breakers. I tossed in some 3/4" and 1" starboard to do some bracket fabrication for the solar panels. The panels which were originally purchased for the sailboat and sat in the shed so long that now they're destined for the trawler...

Josh

-- probably should start putting my name on these things
Old 07-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #73

Quick update:

Nothing is done, but tons of stuff is "almost done." I ended up working for two months and logged an obscene amount of overtime. Which is good in that I've paid off all the bills and bought some new toys, and is bad in that I haven't had any real boat time.

Did I mention I also remodeled the bathroom at the homestead? Another project that took away from boat time, but resulted in my wife refraining from murdering me in my sleep, so I have to count it as a win.

I have been working like mad to get her (the boat, not the wife) island ready enough to take out the family, and I think I'm there. I did finish wiring up the temporary run for the windlass, so that works. Which will be awesome, no more hand raising the anchor!

Unbeknownst to me, my wife decided to flip our kayak over on the finger to clean the bottom. She slipped and launched herself fully clothed into the harbor water. I somehow managed to miss all the commotion as I was down in the engine space terminating wires. Luckily she didn't have her phone or wallet on her. Some folks on the finger helped pull her out, and I stepped outside just in time to see her standing there completely drenched and embarrassed.

The software won't let me post videos, which is a bummer as we were out a couple weeks ago and ran into a super pod of dolphin. They were everywhere, and surfing the bow by the score.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #74

In the end, it's all worth it. Every time.

I'm also kind of surprised I still have service.

Josh

Name:	IMG_1908.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	66466
Old 07-07-2017, 12:58 AM   #75
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Making memories! Very cool!
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:31 AM   #76
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
It's nice when the family gets as much enjoyment out of using the boat as you do.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:44 PM   #77

I've been working on getting the trawler set up for night running, since we're planning on running overnight down to Catalina. I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't run after dark, since the nav lights were suspect and there wasn't a red overhead light in the boat anywhere.

I swapped out the switch in the fixture over the helm with a nice beefy SPDT and installed a dual red/white LED. The fixture didn't work when we bought it, which turned out to be a failed wire between the old switch and bulb socket (now removed.) Now we can see without completely destroying the night vision.

I also noticed that the green navigation light had joined the stern light in the great light party in the sky. This left the port red light and the steaming light as the only working ones. The easiest place to mount the SSB antenna was directly in front of the red nav light, so it needed to be moved forward at the very least. I decided that I would just bite the bullet and buy new sealed LED fixtures, rather than try and deal with the ancient, leaking, corroded ones.

Here's the old ones:
Name:  IMG_2001.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  5.3 KB
Name:  IMG_2004.JPG
Views: 356
Size:  9.9 KB

I measured the angle on the brow for the side lights at 30 degrees. So I needed to fabricate some wedges to mount the new LEDs on. I also did a plate for the stern light, and one to use as an adapter for the steaming light:
Name:  IMG_2002.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  7.3 KB
Once again, King Starboard to the rescue. The mounting plates are screwed directly into the wood, so I used butyl rubber to seal the screw penetrations:
Name:  IMG_2006.JPG
Views: 352
Size:  10.8 KB

Here's the finished look:
Name:  IMG_2003.JPG
Views: 350
Size:  9.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2008.JPG
Views: 355
Size:  12.0 KB

When we bought the boat, none of the outside lights (cockpit nor walkways) worked. The existing stern navigation light only worked if you turned on the breaker for both nav and salon lights (still trying to figure that one out, since it did it with the LED fixture as well) When I pulled the cockpit light fixture to access the space, I found the now standard rats nest of bad crimps and electrical tape. Luckily there was enough slack to cut back to clean, and I re-crimped and sealed everything with adhesive lined shrink tubing. Removing that corrosion magically fixed the stern light (it works independently of the salon light switch) and the cockpit light, and the walkway lights as well. Hey, I'll take it.

Just a few more items off the check sheet and we'll be ready for the wife's (and kid's) first overnight passage on our boat.

Josh
Old 08-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #78

Today was a good day. It was one of those "finish the half done projects and check them off days" which I needed after trying to run multiple parallel projects simultaneously. Why do I do that? I know better...

Nav lights are done, minus the steaming light replacement, but I got the old one working, so we're good to go. Had to extend one wire because it wasn't long enough.

Cabin lights are fixed, so we can quit using headlamps down below. It'll be nice to get the reading lights back, since we're heading out for a week or so. I had originally thought the PO scabbed off the electric head circuit, but it turns out there used to be an old school 12v outlet down below, and he had scabbed the lighting off that. It didn't take long once I brought down the inductive toner and traced it back. Moved one wire on the new terminal in the bilge and magically the downstairs lights work again. Later, when I'm bored, I'll have to hook up the toner and see where the circuit originally labeled "cabin lights" actually goes...

Just for good measure, I fixed the problem with the autopilot that was my own doing. I've got lots of examples of not being nearly as clever as I think I am, and hand steering for the last few trips has been the penalty for doing so again. All better now, though. I think.

The last of the "need to finish before an overnight passage" boxes have been checked. So it looks like my wife will get her wish and we will do our first overnight passage together. I really hope it goes well. A lot of my future planning involves her liking (or at least tolerating) passage making.

Josh
Old 08-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #79
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Are you working up from short and longer daytime passages? A long nighttime passage seems like a big first step.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:25 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Are you working up from short and longer daytime passages? A long nighttime passage seems like a big first step.

Not exactly. I come from a singlehanded sailing background, so I'm comfortable with longer passages. The move to a trawler was so that we could cruise as a family, rather than just me.

My wife has been on many multi-day dive boat trips, and a handful of "live-aboard" dive trips up to 10 days at a time. But this will be her first time standing watch at night. She's done week long island trips on the sailboat, but the longest sailing leg has been about 8 hours.

Going overnight was her request. We could have done it as a pair of long days, but she wanted to do the overnight. It's the way I've done the same trip in the sailboat in the past, so I think (hope) she's eager to experience something similar. I've been blessed to have some amazing experiences at sea at night, and I'm looking forward to sharing new ones.

Conditions look ideal. Let's just hope this is the first time in recorded history where the forecast matches actual conditions...

Josh