1954 Navy Utility Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scuba066

Hello,
New member here.* I have really enjoyed all the great information on this site.* I am thinking of taking a closer look at a 1954 Navy utility boat conversion.* The boat was built by Tahoe Boat Works.* She has 1.25" mahogany planking over oak timbers with monel fastenings.* I have not been able to find out any info on these boats or the manufacturer online.* I was hopeing someone on the forum may have some information.
Best Regards,
Ray
http://ventura.craigslist.org/boa/511009205.html

Holy cow, if she's in half decent shape, for $9,500 what else is there to know. Get a good survey to find out how bad she is and buy her.

Yes, I could do that. However, I do not know how the boat handles at sea. I know it has round chines and is rolly. I think that is just part of owning a small trawler, but, I want to know how rolly. I have read articles about owners adding ballast to ex-Navy fiberglass hulls to increase stability. However, I can not find any information on ex-Navy wood hulls. I am planning on taking whatever trawler I end up with down the Baja coast and into the Sea of Cortez and do some sightseeing and diving. I am sure I will run into some rough conditions and I want to keep everything on the up and up!

Hey 66,

Welcome to the site. I think most of the wood utilities were planked with Cypress so this one in Mahogany may be a find, depending on what kind of Mahogany but the Navy usually goes for the premium stuff. How long is it? does it have an old 6-71 Jimmy. I worked for Uniflite when they were building 33,40 and 50' utilities in FG and as I recall they were said to be an exact duplicate of the wood boats. They may have been designed by William Atkin and if not by a very experienced naval architect unlike many yachts. I recall them as beamy boats, very much like lobster types and they probably handle at sea much the same. Talk to FF who has a 50' utility and Carey who has a nice lobster type. Don't even think of it without a survey though.

Eric Henning
30 Willard
Thorne Bay AK

Hello Mr. Henning,
Thank you for the information. I have read alot of great things about the Uniflite utility boats. The above boat is a 40 footer with a 6-71. At the earliest, I may get a chance to take a look at the boat at the end of Feb. I would not be suprised if it is sold by then. Nope, I would not buy with out a survey and a sea trial. The roll still concerns me and I am not sure if the boat has ballast like other Willard designs.
Best Regards,
Ray

George Buehler, in his "Troller Yacht" book talks about checking for stability by the simple means of putting all your weight as far outboard of the boat in question as possible and heaving yourself aboard.* If the boat rollls, forget it.*

This may be a BIT extreme, but it's still a nominal test.* Good luck.

DS

Our 50 utility doesn't roll too badly BUT the past owners installed bilge keels about 9 in deep and roughly 30 ft long.

Natural waves are seldom a problem, unless directly on the beam , so a course change cures that.

Dopes with semi plaining boats passing with huge stern waves are definiatly a hassle.

The 50 is very handy so we simply turn away , and if times right simply get the 4 or 5 ft wash on the transom , as we do a 360. Costs little in time , and easily done in a fairly small channel..

I purchased a set of flopper stoppers , so would expect to do short passages eg. Atlantic City to Cape Cod Canal in a straight shot .

In the $10K you should be able to get a GRP 40 or 50 , if you can accept a poor engine, needing replacement.
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by FF at 05:27, 2008-04-18

Ray,
I just bought this one on ebay 9/29/13. Lil Toot. Looking for a third partner have
Carter

Freightman,
Never seen one w a cabin that big and high. It may indeed roll a lot. You may want to start learning about Para Vane Stabilizers.

It's a great hull and no I don't think any of those lobsterboat types had any ballast. Significant ballast is not common on semi displacement boats. Ballast on your boat may be something to think about though to offset that big cabin. The ballast will slow you down some. However I'd lean toward the Para Vanes.

Talk to FF about this as he's intimate w that boat hull.

Eric,
It has flopper Stoppers. I guess that is why.
Carter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom