Old 07-27-2016, 12:55 AM   #1
City: santa barbara
yet another newbie

We live in Santa Barbara and I want a boat in the harbor...we are not very experienced w boats, and this would be our first boat we own. Do people feel the 34' Californian LRC is a good "beginners" boat??
Of course I want to take the boat out, I dream of weekends at the Channel Islands, but I also just want to be able to take our toddler down to the harbor, hang out, check out the birds, fish and sea lions and have slumber parties on the boat. The harbor is my happy place, and it's always been my dream to have a boat!

meagandecarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:59 AM   #2
TF Site Team
City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Welcome to the forum.. Always room on board for more. Especially folk who just love being on or near the water.

I suggest you PM Flywright, (Al), who has such a vessel. He may well come in on here anyway, but if he doesn't...

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:25 AM   #3
Welcome and good luck with your Californian. I bought mine a bit over 5 years ago. Love the boat. As to if its a good beginners boat, I can't judge, I bought mine after 40+ years of boat ownership. I really don't know how the the outcome would have been had I bought the Californian first. But I suspect I would have been very discouraged and broke after a couple years, due to a lack of experience that kept me from fixing things on my own without breaking the bank hiring every new challenge fixed. If your either very mechanically inclined or have very deep pockets you will do fine. If not, you may do fine as well, just ask a lot of questions here before taking on a new challenges.

Good Luck To You, and Welcome.

Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:32 AM   #4
City: Slicker?
Welcome aboard.
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #5
City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
I would second what Captain Craig said. Concentrate on learning the boats systems. If you do your own maintenance and follow the "manufactures" recommendations, you should do find.

PS: If you're a novice boater, by all means take a boating class, local Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary would be a good place to start.

Good group of experienced Californian owners here, feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Welcome aboard
Larry B
Careful . . .I Have a Generator and I'm not afraid to use it !
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #6
TF Site Team
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Santa Barbera is one of the most expensive harbors to get into that I've seen.

Make sure of your slip, prior to going further with this.
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
TF Site Team
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
The Californian 34 LRC was my first diesel "big" boat and it has served me well. One of the features I appreciate is the high bullwarks and wide side decks that provide safe movement all around the boat, especially for kids. The cockpit provides good access to the water making it a popular fishing and diving boat. It's also a great place with kids.

I had to learn my boat's systems and maintenance requirements and was fortunate to have friends who taught me. The boat's systems are relatively easy to access in the 12x20 ft engine room. With my small 4.236 engines, I can climb completely around each engine if needed, but that would probably not be possible with the large Detroit or Cat engines. The fuel tanks, water heater, water pump, shaft logs, batteries, trannys, freshwater and holding tanks are all easily accessible. That's not always the case on some of the other boats.

Boat condition is critical. Mine had a recently refurbished interior when I bought it 9 years ago and was in 'turn'key' condition. That doesn't mean it didn't need regular maintenance, modifications and improvements. Since I'm mechanically inclined, I enjoy doing this myself and save myself thousands of dollars each year. Even with that, I still find a way to spend about $8K per year on my boating passion. YMMV

The 34 LRC is a popular boat on the West coast. I've seen several on the waters of NorCal. Since they were built down there in Santa Ana/Tustin, you might find more in SoCal. On the East coast, they seem to be more rare. The boat is very stout and seaworthy with a sharp entry and a Carolina flare that provides a slicing, dry ride. The deadrise is relatively flat at the transom providing stability at anchor which is also a plus with kids, fishing and diving.

The 2-stateroom layout is just about ideal for kids, IMO. Kids love bunks and my model has bunks fwd and the full size bed amidship. The up galley can become narrow with 3-4 folks onboard, but that's the price of safe walkarounds on a 12.5 ft wide vessel. 360 degree visibility from the lower helm is excellent...the best I've encountered.

Good luck in your search and welcome to TF!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote