Old 07-27-2016, 12:55 AM   #1

City: santa barbara
yet another newbie

Hi,

We live in Santa Barbara and I want a boat in the harbor...we are not very experienced w boats, and this would be our first boat we own. Do people feel the 34' Californian LRC is a good "beginners" boat??
Of course I want to take the boat out, I dream of weekends at the Channel Islands, but I also just want to be able to take our toddler down to the harbor, hang out, check out the birds, fish and sea lions and have slumber parties on the boat. The harbor is my happy place, and it's always been my dream to have a boat!

Opinions??
meagandecarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:59 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Welcome to the forum.. Always room on board for more. Especially folk who just love being on or near the water.

I suggest you PM Flywright, (Al), who has such a vessel. He may well come in on here anyway, but if he doesn't...
Old 07-27-2016, 01:25 AM   #3
Guru

Welcome and good luck with your Californian. I bought mine a bit over 5 years ago. Love the boat. As to if its a good beginners boat, I can't judge, I bought mine after 40+ years of boat ownership. I really don't know how the the outcome would have been had I bought the Californian first. But I suspect I would have been very discouraged and broke after a couple years, due to a lack of experience that kept me from fixing things on my own without breaking the bank hiring every new challenge fixed. If your either very mechanically inclined or have very deep pockets you will do fine. If not, you may do fine as well, just ask a lot of questions here before taking on a new challenges.

Good Luck To You, and Welcome.

Craig
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:32 AM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #5
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
I would second what Captain Craig said. Concentrate on learning the boats systems. If you do your own maintenance and follow the "manufactures" recommendations, you should do find.

PS: If you're a novice boater, by all means take a boating class, local Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxiliary would be a good place to start.

Good group of experienced Californian owners here, feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Welcome aboard
Old 07-27-2016, 09:42 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Santa Barbera is one of the most expensive harbors to get into that I've seen.

Make sure of your slip, prior to going further with this.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
The Californian 34 LRC was my first diesel "big" boat and it has served me well. One of the features I appreciate is the high bullwarks and wide side decks that provide safe movement all around the boat, especially for kids. The cockpit provides good access to the water making it a popular fishing and diving boat. It's also a great place with kids.

I had to learn my boat's systems and maintenance requirements and was fortunate to have friends who taught me. The boat's systems are relatively easy to access in the 12x20 ft engine room. With my small 4.236 engines, I can climb completely around each engine if needed, but that would probably not be possible with the large Detroit or Cat engines. The fuel tanks, water heater, water pump, shaft logs, batteries, trannys, freshwater and holding tanks are all easily accessible. That's not always the case on some of the other boats.

Boat condition is critical. Mine had a recently refurbished interior when I bought it 9 years ago and was in 'turn'key' condition. That doesn't mean it didn't need regular maintenance, modifications and improvements. Since I'm mechanically inclined, I enjoy doing this myself and save myself thousands of dollars each year. Even with that, I still find a way to spend about $8K per year on my boating passion. YMMV

The 34 LRC is a popular boat on the West coast. I've seen several on the waters of NorCal. Since they were built down there in Santa Ana/Tustin, you might find more in SoCal. On the East coast, they seem to be more rare. The boat is very stout and seaworthy with a sharp entry and a Carolina flare that provides a slicing, dry ride. The deadrise is relatively flat at the transom providing stability at anchor which is also a plus with kids, fishing and diving.

The 2-stateroom layout is just about ideal for kids, IMO. Kids love bunks and my model has bunks fwd and the full size bed amidship. The up galley can become narrow with 3-4 folks onboard, but that's the price of safe walkarounds on a 12.5 ft wide vessel. 360 degree visibility from the lower helm is excellent...the best I've encountered.

Good luck in your search and welcome to TF!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #8

You may want something faster. There are not a lot of cruising opportunities in your area for a LRC.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 08:51 PM   #9
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDarlin View Post
You may want something faster. There are not a lot of cruising opportunities in your area for a LRC.
What? Am I wrong thinking that boating is like life, destination is far less important than the journey!
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 02:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
What? Am I wrong thinking that boating is like life, destination is far less important than the journey!
Yes. You need a good destination to justify the cost
Old 11-20-2016, 11:10 AM   #11
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDarlin View Post
Yes. You need a good destination to justify the cost
Wifey B: I like the journey and the destination. Don't aimlessly wonder around lost.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Re: Post #9. Agree. Destination is less important than the journey IMO.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Re: Post #9. Agree. Destination is less important than the journey IMO.
Wifey B: True regarding life, but I'm not big on trips to nowhere. I like new places.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:13 AM   #14
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Personally just being out on the flybridge, cruising at slow pace on the river and looking at the scenery makes me feeling very fortunate. Every time there is something different to look at and I really enjoy it. Reaching my anchorage is just the little candy as I can get a good glass of wine and relax
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #15
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Personally just being out on the flybridge, cruising at slow pace on the river and looking at the scenery makes me feeling very fortunate. Every time there is something different to look at and I really enjoy it. Reaching my anchorage is just the little candy as I can get a good glass of wine and relax
In places where a lot of open water passages are necessary, and your boat isn't very large or stabilized......speed isn't a bad suggestion to consider.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #16

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Welcome Aboard. Ask a lot of questions. Many very experienced people here waiting to "help".
Look at lots of boats. Matters not whether you fancy the destination OR the Journey. Each person determines what it is that makes their day! Do whatever that is and Enjoy.
Ditto for wise suggestion in post # 5.
Cheers.
Dave
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:06 PM   #17

hey, thanks for so much info!
this boat is "maintenance deferred...it's been listed with a broker for a while, not selling"
would i be the dummy buying a "maintenance deferred" boat??
the teak deck up top is in terrible condition and someone painted the lower deck (why???)
Old 11-25-2016, 06:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagandecarlo View Post
hey, thanks for so much info!
this boat is "maintenance deferred...it's been listed with a broker for a while, not selling"
would i be the dummy buying a "maintenance deferred" boat??
the teak deck up top is in terrible condition and someone painted the lower deck (why???)
To hide the bad condition. Deferred maint means many unknown conditions. Likely issues with engines as well.
Old 11-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #19

ha ha everyone!
we would be happy cruising out to the channel islands for many years...throw the anchor and kayak and surf
Old 11-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #20

more questions...

below are the stats on the boat...i wish someone else would buy here so i could move on with my life!! (but instead i keep picturing a romanticized life with her).
if this is too much info for anyone to read, please ignore. I just don't know who else to ask!
with the info below, does anyone have a guess on value of the boat?
thanks, you guys are awesome!

LOA: 41 ft 0 in
Beam: 14 ft 0 in
Minimum Draft: 3 ft 9 in
Displacement: 32000 lbs

Engines
Total Power: 240 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Ford Lehman
Engine Model: 2715E
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine Hours: 2198
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 120 HP
Engine 2:
Engine Brand: Ford Lehman
Engine Model: 2715E
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 120 HP

Cruising Speed: 9 knots
Maximum Speed: 11 knots

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: 2 Stainless steel (100 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: 2 Stainless steel (400 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: Plastic (25 Gallons)

Electronics/Navigation
Garmin 128 GPS
Raytheon ST6000+ Autopilot
SiTex T180 24 mile Radar
Uniden VHF
West Marine VHF
VDO Fatometer
(2) Richie Compass

Thru hulls replaced with modern style bronze thru hull & value
Abandoned thru hulls fiberglassed closed & epoxy sealed
Old Fuel removed
Packing gland removed,packing hose clamps replaced
Cutlass bearings replaced
New drive shafts & props
Hull sides buffed & waxed

Accommodations
This traditional aft cabin trawler layout provides a large open deck-level saloon, galley up, lower helm and two staterooms with ensuite heads.
Entry is through the starboard side pilot door at the lower helm station. Across from the helm station is a L-shaped dinette on port and aft of the helm is a custom built-in teak desk and storage.
The galley is up and features a custom built bar (folds down). Opposite the galley is a sliding door leading to the exterior port sidedeck.
Aft of the galley and down a companionway is the master stateroom with a centerline queen berth surrounded by built-in cabinets, drawers, counters and night stands. The master stateroom head features a shower and tub, & vacuflush toilet
Forward of the saloon and down a companionway is the guest suite that provides upper and lower bunk berths, built-in lockers and drawers, and an ensuite head with vacuflush.
The spacious engine room is directly below the main saloon and can be easily accessed from three entries.
Follow the sidedecks aft to a aft cockpit and mid-level aft deck that leads to the flybridge deck. The flybridge deck features a upper helm station and ample seating for a guests for entertaining.
Back at deck level and forward is the foredeck with ample room to work the anchoring systems or enjoy the ride with decks protected by high gunwales and railings.

Electrical
12v 110v
(2) AD Batteries
(1) Gp 24 Battery
TrueCharger 20-amp
Northern Lights Genset 5kw (132 hrs)

Galley
Four Burner LPG Stove and Oven
Norcold AC Refrigerator & Freezer
Stainless Sink with Hot-Cold Pressure Water
Microwave Oven

Deck Equipment
44# Bruce Bow Anchor w/300' 5/16" chain
18# Danforth type Aft Anchor w/35' 3/8" chain, 200' 3/4 nylon
Maxwell 1100 Electric Windlass
Fuel tanks are replacement, stainless full coated (date unknown)