Old 02-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #41
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
On my aluminum windows I used butyl tape. Much easier to use than any caulking in this application.

It was recommended by the manufacturer and because the windows are basically the same as bus and RV windows, butyl has been used there for decades.

I have had a couple windows in and out .....very easy...out and back in with just a removing of the tape, add a little if an area needed it.

I recently found black butyl tape and with it matching the widow frames, as I redo a window for interior reasons, black tape makes for a nice look on the exterior till it finishes squeezing out and trimmed off.

One of the nice things about the butyl over foam is when you press the window into place, it will stay exactly where you want it till you get it clamped into place.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:29 PM   #42
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
I've used Butyl tape on a variety of repair/rebed items on the boat for the last 2-3 years. So far all has been well with no leakage or apparent hardening of the tape. In one case, I had to remove some of bedded fittings to make an adjustment; sticky, but easy to do. Rebed was a success as well. Unlike some of the sealants in tubes, the tape will not chase you around the boat/dock/truck.

chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #43
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
CS Yachts (Canadian Sailcraft) used butyl tape for the hull/deck joints starting in the 1970's. I have surveyed hundreds of CS boats and never seen a leak at the hull deck joint and the butyl is still as good as new forty years later.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #44
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
Started the removal and fitment of the new starboard window.
Attached Images

TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #45
TG

Peninsula Glass used TMILLER's pattern when they made the windows and there was very little trimming of the opening required. I cut about a 1/4" off the top of the opening and opened the radius on the top forward corner by about an 1/8".

TMILLER's pattern as submitted is 16 3/8" tall according to the Blueprint made by Peninsula. I believe the true dimension of the wood frame is 16" that would explain the need for trimming. I think I would still keep it at 16 3/8" since it is easier to remove than add material. I used a sawzall and free handed it pretty straight forward.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #46
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Those old window frames were nasty and didn't even fit properly and you wondered why they leaked? On mine they filled the voids with a liquid caulking.

I had to do the same thing, even though they used my templates, as the opening needed adjustment on the ends. But I probably had to removed less material, it was a snap with a die grinder. Looking good
Old 02-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #47
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
TG

I must have thrown the last of the roll of tape away. It's not on the boat anymore. I talked to my neighbor who helped me put the new windows in and he recalls that the gasket tape was 1" x 1/4" and was double sided. The tape was provided by Peninsula Glass and was packed in the box with each window.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #48
TG

Mahogany Panels are in. I laminated 1/2 " panels with 2 ply Ribbon Striped Mahogany Veneer from VeneerSupplies.com. The fresh cut Mahogany is much redder than the existing material so I stained it with General Finishes Yellow water based dye stain from Rockler then 2 coats Minwax Water Based Polyurethane Clear. Need one more coat of PU and ready to install window.

All of the panels for a given thickness can be produced with one 4x8 sheet of plywood. 3/4 structural, 1/2 decorative and Veneer. Final build up on the fiberglass structure came in right at 1.5 inches.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #49
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
That looks great TG!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 03-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #50
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Nice job, TG. Thanks for the veneersupplies.com source. Are you pleased with the final match to the Philippine ribbon mahogany used by Marshall Boats?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:30 PM   #51
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Nice job, TG. Thanks for the veneersupplies.com source. Are you pleased with the final match to the Philippine ribbon mahogany used by Marshall Boats?
The ribbon stripe is a little more angular than the original that is more linear. With the yellow dye the color is very close and I think if I refresh the finish of the factory panels the color will be even closer. I'm very satisfied with the final result.

I just finished the port side that I thought would be the easy one. What I discovered was a lot of rot and some localized termites so all of the wood on the lower half and sides of the Port window came out and was replaced. Also the wood frame had been removed at some point by a PO and was reset with 5200 so the wood frame and flange had to be painstakingly cutout and removed a foot at a time. In contrast, the starboard window nearly fell out in my hands once the outside flange screws were removed.

I ended up using double sided closed cell polyethylene fenestration tape for the seal. The flange on the windows is 3/4 inch so the tape I used was 3/4" wide by 1/8" thickness and requires a 30% compression to make a moisture resistant seal. With the starboard side I had a few helpers to set the window and on the port I was able to set it myself.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #52
TG

Here's the port window installed with new ribbon stripe. Also made new ceiling panels and covered with beadboard wallpaper and installed LED Puck lights, six in the ceiling and six under the decking. Most of the trim molding is re-installed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BoatCeiling (Small).JPG
Views:	72
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	39232  
Old 04-16-2015, 01:12 PM   #53
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Nice job, TG! That really looks nice. Good touch with the LED pucks and the new ceiling.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:15 PM   #54
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
That looks great TG!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 04-18-2015, 12:30 AM   #55
Veteran Member

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
Very nice work TG! Ordered our windows yesterday from Motion using TMILLER's dimensions. Jeff is going to locate the aft window break lines with the cut in the trim/clamp ring behind the head partition. Thanks for the details and pics.

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #56
TG

When fitting the new windows from Peninsula glass (Motion) be sure to dry fit the trim ring. The trim ring requires a larger opening than the window of approximately 1/4" all the way around and approximately 3/8" deep recess.

For me, since I made new trim panels I was able to remove them and cut in the offset. If you are keeping the original wood then you'll need to figure out how to cut in the offset, perhaps using a router with a guide installed.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #57
Veteran Member

City: Oceanside Ca
Vessel Name: Tango Bravo
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44 (1978)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
When fitting the new windows from Peninsula glass (Motion) be sure to dry fit the trim ring. The trim ring requires a larger opening than the window of approximately 1/4" all the way around and approximately 3/8" deep recess.

For me, since I made new trim panels I was able to remove them and cut in the offset. If you are keeping the original wood then you'll need to figure out how to cut in the offset, perhaps using a router with a guide installed.
TG,
I have a manual glue scraper for sale. I will sell you the blueprints for making your own. Looking at the finished product I have to say, awesome job!
Tango Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:05 PM   #58
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post

Here's a shot of the offset required to fit the interior window flange (trim ring).
Attached Images

Old 04-22-2015, 08:48 PM   #59
TG

I had planned to re-use the rub-rails that run the length of the interior under the windows but the starboard side just had to much moisture damage and had to be remade. The rails are mahogany approximately 11 feet long, 2 1/2 wide and 7/8 thickness. The port was one continuous piece and the starboard I suspect was one piece originally but at some point was cut in half behind the bathroom wall that divides the area. When I reproduced them I moved the screw holes on the ends inward to give more clearance for the screw gun. I ended up using Honduran Mahogany which was really nice to work with albeit a little more orange in color. After tinting it with yellow dye it was a very close match to the original. I think African Mahogany is a closer match to the original trim but I had a difficult time sourcing it locally at 7/8 thick and the Honduran was available.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2015, 10:54 AM   #60

City: Kenosha, WI
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Hershine 37
All

How timely, I just finished rebuilding my walls and could finally measure the thickness accurately. Time to order the windows. I am replacing 6 windows. I have got quotes from Motion Windows, Diamond Sea Glaze, Bomar and Wynne. $2400, $3200, $3730 and $3780. (not in order) Which manufacturer do you recommend? Tempered or laminated? Quote was for tempered. Below are some pics. They used scrap mahogany ply for the core, using putty rather than resin for the bonding to the outter layer. This made up for a poor mold and lay up but left plenty of air space for the water to travel. The putty required an air chisel to remove, hours of work. I replaced the core with Hydro Tek ply and bonded with thickened resin. The outter layer was woven roving and layers of chopped strand mat, then two coats of gelcoat to seal it all up. Once the admiral decides on the new wall treatment (any time they say treatment, its gonna cost $) I will apply that to the final 3/8 ply and finish the wall in time for the window installation.

http://savingtortuga.blogspot.com/
Greatlaker221 is offline   Reply With Quote