Old 09-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Oregon
Vessel Model: 1979 42' Californian
I don't know about that.. seems like a sawz-all worked quite well!

tmiller1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:03 PM   #22
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
For those of you who have used Peninsula Glass, I just received my new windows. I was under the impression the seal was to be flange seal tape however peninsula glass did not provide the tape and suggested I use Sikaflex 295UV.

What did you folks use for the seal during install?

TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:37 PM   #23
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
1. Do not use red oak from home depot (thats all they sell), it will rot. If you are set on oak, then get some white oak which is quite rot resistant.

2. I am in the process of replacing 17 windows on my boat with Bomon windows. this is the third boat I have installed Bomon windows on and have never seen a leak. The nice thing about these windows is that no screws go into the boat structure. There are inner and outer aluminum frames and they screw together like a clamp.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:03 PM   #24
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
1. Do not use red oak from home depot (thats all they sell), it will rot. If you are set on oak, then get some white oak which is quite rot resistant.

2. I am in the process of replacing 17 windows on my boat with Bomon windows. this is the third boat I have installed Bomon windows on and have never seen a leak. The nice thing about these windows is that no screws go into the boat structure. There are inner and outer aluminum frames and they screw together like a clamp.
What did you use to seal the outside frame to the fiberglass. Flange seal tape, 4200, other?
Old 02-10-2015, 01:08 PM   #25
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG View Post
What did you use to seal the outside frame to the fiberglass. Flange seal tape, 4200, other?
No sealant is used. A simple foam gasket is supplied with the windows.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #26
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
For those of you who have used Peninsula Glass, I just received my new windows. I was under the impression the seal was to be flange seal tape however peninsula glass did not provide the tape and suggested I use Sikaflex 295UV.

What did you folks use for the seal during install?
What?? They didn't include a roll of double back foam seal tape. Cheap so and so's Someone must have forgot to throw it in the box or you have a different style window?

Are your windows two piece with an inner trim ring that is attached from the inside and clamps the window frame, holding it in places with machine screws??? If it is, you apply the foam seal tape to the inside rim of the aluminum window frame "before" you insert the window and frame into the hole. Do not use liquid sealer.

PS: If you're not satisfied with the hardware store foam tape, check with a local window company. I recall the foam tape was about 1/2" x 1/2", but maybe one of the others who just bought Pens windows can give you exact measurements and makers name from their left over tape roll.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:05 AM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Craig View Post
....why do I need laminated glass?.
Because when laminated glass cracks, it doesn't shatter into a zillion pieces or crack into larger pieces that fall out of the frame and leave an open hole in the side of the cabin.

When a piece of laminated glass cracks, it cracks but it stays put. You can put a piece of tape over the crack to keep moisture out and keep the pane from cracking more, but it will stay put in the window frame.

Our boats all use laminated glass. The 1973 Grand Banks in the PNW was built this way, and as we have rebuilt windows on it over the years, we have used laminated glass as the replacement panes, both fixed and sliding.

Tempered glass and just plain old glass are less than ideal on a boat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:11 AM   #28
Scraping Paint

As to beding window frames to the fiberglass cabin side, for the wooden frames on our PNW boat we use white Dolfinite. Dolfinite makes a great bedding material but it's not adhesive. Since the frames are held in place by a whole lot of screws, no adhesion in the bedding is needed. The reason we use Doflinite is if we have to remove the frame later (cracked pane or whatever) it makes the frame extremely easy to remove.

For all the other sealing/bedding in the boat's built-up windows including the fixed panes of glass we use Sikaflex.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:20 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I would seriously consider butyl tape as a window bedding. I've never done the job and here may be better products out there, but it has lots of advantages.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:36 PM   #30
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
The Butyl tape is not suitable for all applications, but it is fairly easy to work with; both going on & coming off. I used it to bed some window framing that had to be replaced in our Californian 34 worked well.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #31
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by chc View Post
The Butyl tape is not suitable for all applications, but it is fairly easy to work with; both going on & coming off. I used it to bed some window framing that had to be replaced in our Californian 34 worked well.
Hey, chc. Thinking about using butyl tape as you did. Glad to hear it's working for you. If you don't mind my asking, how long ago did you replace the windows and did you use shims?

Thanks.
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:57 AM   #32
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
I would seriously consider butyl tape as a window bedding. I've never done the job and here may be better products out there, but it has lots of advantages.

I have Butyl tape! Thanks again Al

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 02-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #33
TG

The Butyl tape sounds interesting. I guess my main concern is if by chance one of the pane's ever get broken, I'd like to be able to remove the frame without destroying it. With a curable sealer, the best you can do with all the prying and slicing is not pretty.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

Quote:
I guess my main concern is if by chance one of the pane's ever get broken, I'd like to be able to remove the frame without destroying it..
That's why we use Dolfinite. However, it may not be the right bedding material for your particular application.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #35
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I used butyl tape on a '77 O'Day sailboat a few years ago and it's holding up fine. I made the choice after removing the non leaking windows and finding butyl was used by the factory. The butyl I removed was still quite pliable. In the future I may try Dolphinite as I've heard great reviews on that material as well.

I've been using butyl tape for many years prior to coming to boating on RV windows, vents and door frames. It holds up great in that application as it remains pliable and RV's flex a lot going down the roads.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:49 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
The Butyl tape sounds interesting. I guess my main concern is if by chance one of the pane's ever get broken, I'd like to be able to remove the frame without destroying it. With a curable sealer, the best you can do with all the prying and slicing is not pretty.
If you go on Peninsula Glass website and under "Motion windows" go to "installation" and they list "Double Sided Closed Cell Foam Tape." I can't believe they didn't include it with your order, mine came with two rolls. They want $1.50 per foot for it. Two windows is probably 45 ft of tape for those rear windows. I think I would be calling them on that one!!
Old 02-12-2015, 10:55 PM   #37
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
If you go on Peninsula Glass website and under "Motion windows" go to "installation" and they list "Double Sided Closed Cell Foam Tape." I can't believe they didn't include it with your order, mine came with two rolls. They want $1.50 per foot for it. Two windows is probably 45 ft of tape for those rear windows. I think I would be calling them on that one!!
I read all of the install info on the site, that's why I asked where my tape was.

This is the response I received:

Subject: RE: Motion Windows: Ship Confirmation

David,

It does not look like you ordered that with your package. To be honest, thatís a great sealant for our land applications but not necessarily what I would use for your install. I would recommend a product similar to Sikaflex 295 UV.

Sincerely,
Jeff Kemp, Director of Sales
Old 02-12-2015, 11:08 PM   #38
Guru

Some other Californian owners just bought windows from them too and I never heard them bring this up?? For what you pay for the windows, hard to believe they don't include it!

They also sell the Butyl tape there as well. Mine have been in quite a few years with the double sided foam and have never leaked. I wouldn't be interested in using the sealer, after breaking a couple of the old windows trying to pry them out.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:12 PM   #39
TG

Do you remember the thickness of the tape you used?
Old 02-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #40
Guru

I was thinking it was pretty thin 1/2" or so. There should still be part of a roll in the jockey box on the boat. I'll try to look for it when I go over to the boat. Maybe this weekend if the weather cooperates.