Windlass breaker location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rfb3

I just bought a 1990 Californian 48 (two state room) and I can't seem to find the windlass breaker. I've looked everywhere. Is it possible there is none? I believe the fuses are located on the aft bulkhead in the engine room. Any help is appreciated.

Don't know your boat but if the windlass is equipped with a fuse there won't likely be a circuit breaker. One or the other.
Either way the circuit protection should be at the battery.

I have found windlass circuit breakers all over on boats. Because of the size of the wire they are often not found at the master panel. Most common place is either some were close to the battery or next to the main buss feeding the master electrical panel. As mentioned above it might use a fuse instead of a circuit breaker. It is likely using a breaker that is unfamiliar looking.

Check the fwd stateroom on the side of the owner's berth. That's where it is located on myAT34.

It's quite common to have a fuse at the distribution panel and a breaker near the windlass. The fuse protects the wire from the distribution panel going to the windlass and the breaker protects the windlass from overload and also acts as a power supply switch.

Ted

I've also seen a breaker slightly hidden, in the forward cabin-near the windlass.
Someone told me that was occasionally done to try and discourage someone from stealing the boat at anchor while you were gone in the dinghy....flip the breaker off and they can't raise the anchor.

Maybe...but a dedicated thief would just dump the anchor

The breaker serves as an emergency shutoff if the power solenoid sticks.

Ted

Our '84 FuHwa 38 has its windlass breaker (I hope!) switch next to the access panel into the chain locker. Not convenient! The boat had no overcurrent protection on anything except what's inherent in the 12v distribution panel. The windlass 12v power is tagged onto the switched side of the 12v battery selector and the ground is tagged onto the 12v buss with the original welding cable. Unfortunately, the cables are run forward concealed behind the interior cabinetwork. I'll have to abandon them when I install new cable and install a breaker at the helm position. All the house loads are now fused at the house battery bank. I have thus far failed to find battery post fuses big enough to handle the engine starters.

What size do you need?

Ted

The MRBF post-mounted fuses are only available to 300 amps. They blew after one start. I'll have to go with larger in-line fuses if I'm serious about it. The 1/0 wire is rated for about 250 amps in the ER, and the battery switches for 300 amps.

Windlass breaker

Mine is located on the wall of the anchor locker. I have a Californian 55

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom