Old 10-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #1

Wellcraft Californian 34 LRC HIN

Been searching the site to find explanation of a Californian HIN. Haven't found it yet. Can anyone post a deciphering of one.

Does the electrical schematics talked about in the Wellcraft Californian post list the electrical diagrams for the engine water temp gage and the tach gages for the Cat 3208 engines in the subject boat?

Thanks

Fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #2

RE: Wellcraft Californian 34 LRC HIN

I am headed to the boat this evening I will check and post.

Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

I asked Gil Marshall, President of Navigator/Californian Yachts and the son of Jule Marshall, about decoding the HIN, but he told me that the files were lost during the company's sale to Wellcraft and Carver and transfer back to Navigator. As far as he know, no records exist today.

My HIN is JCM034010277. He said that he thought the JCM indicated a California-built model (I think he said "Jules California Marshall", the 034 is the length of 34 ft and the 77 is the model year. The 0102 is up for grabs...I was thinking first model year, second hull...but that's just my guess. Does any of that seem to make sense considering other HINs?
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

As stated in previous posts this is my HIN:

JCM037550776

However the Marshal Boat Company tag on the cable chase in the cabin say

serial number: *37-55

So I think the boat length is 37' and the sequence number is 55

07 *Month July, Maybe?

76Year 1976

That is my guess and I'm sticking to it!

Larry B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24-09-11_1150.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	7964  
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #5

Ok, the boat I am looking at is JCM34212M83H. California built, 34 foot, ???, M?, 1983 model H?. Would the 212 be sequence? Did they build 212 boats a year of any of their sizes? Maybe total built? Maybe 21st built and the other 2 is February. But what would the M be? Some boats use alphabet for the month, but if they don't use some letter such as i than M would work as the 12th month. Did they put tags on the 34s?

Would they use a 1 and 3/8 shaft with the 3208 Cat? I believe original specs listed a 1 and 1/4 shaft. Thanks
Old 10-14-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Fighterpilot wrote:
Ok, the boat I am looking at is JCM34212M83H. California built, 34 foot, ???, M?, 1983 model H?. Would the 212 be sequence? Did they build 212 boats a year of any of their sizes? Maybe total built? Maybe 21st built and the other 2 is February. But what would the M be? Some boats use alphabet for the month, but if they don't use some letter such as i than M would work as the 12th month. Did they put tags on the 34s?

Would they use a 1 and 3/8 shaft with the 3208 Cat? I believe original specs listed a 1 and 1/4 shaft. Thanks
*There is so much we don't know about these boats. *Both Flywright and Capn Craig know more about 34's than I do. *I think Capn Craig has some literature on Cali's that he was going to share with us, when he gets time. *Maybe there is some info there to help you. *Not many of the 34' Cali's appear to have tags and we don't know why.

1 3/8 shafts are what I have on my 6.354 Perkins n/a's. *I was always led to believe that 3208's even in n/a's had 1 1/2" shafts. *You might ask Per, he has 3208's in his 38'.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #7
TF Site Team

I have 1 1/4 shafts for my Perkins 85s.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #8

Looked at the boat yesterday. Much to my surprise the shafts are 1 and 1/2 inches. I hadn't heard anything about that size shaft being in a Californian 34 before Eldelweiss's post. Thanks.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #9

My interpretation of the HIN would be:** JCM, Marshall Boat Company,* 34, hull size,* 212, sequence #* M, Model????* 83, year of mfg.* H, eighth letter= 8th month = August build.** I have seen a explanation of this written, but I can't seem to remember where.

I remember this because of an ongoing painfull experience.* My surveyor noted that the HIN number on my CG documentation papers was wrong when I bought the boat.* M82J at the end was recorded on the paperwork as M32J.* When you look at the HIN molded into the transom, it is easy to see how the error was made.* The 8 character was tipped to the side when the hull was molded, making the loops to the left of the character very shallow compared to the right side which are deeper.* I discussed this with my marine title guy.* We provided a copy of the survey, as well as a photo of the HIN.* From the photo, you could see that it should be 82 not 32 since a 3 occurs a few characters ot he left, and it has a squared top half as opposed to the rounded loops of the eight.* And, using common sense, it could not be possible that the number was M32J since the boat could not have been molded from fiberglass in 1932.* Should be an easy fix, right?* Wrong!* two and a half months after getting the application, the CG*decided they needed a*better photo and rubbing.* The boat was 500 miles from my home, so it took a month and a half before I could get there to satisfy this request.* Then 3 months later they decided they need a signed, notorized affidavit saying that I took the photographs.* It has been three months since they have recieved that and still no documention papers.* The PIA continues.

My electrical drawings do not show the Cat engine option.* All mine say Perkins just above the title block.* I doubt there is much if any difference though.*

My boat has 1 1/4 shafts with the twin 200 Perkins.* I wish they were bigger, as they represent the weak link in the drive line in my opinion.* My guess, it was a cost thing.* As the engine options go from small to larger, you can keep the drive train*the same by reducing the grear box reduction,* mine is 1.5:1.* That allows faster shaft speeds that reduces the need for heavier shafts as torque is reduced.* I wish I had 1 3/4" shafts or at least 1 1/2", and a 2:1 gear.* I suspect would*have*far less chance of bending them.* And the slower props would vibrate less. But it would be an expensive conversion*
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #10

Chris Craft used similiar numbering. I think the H for August is a safe bet. Anyway made an offer on the boat tonight and it was accepted. Now to get survey and start some TLC. Fuel tank leaking, one tach not working, one temp gage not working, and electric pump out motor seized. Some rust on motor mounts and one starter. Fuel tanks appear to be in good shape, but not sure where leak is in the one tank. Wood railing around the cockpit will need attention in that need to refinish somehow. Faded and appears to be just raw wood. Any suggestions? Red Westerbeak gen which I believe is about 7.5kw. New 16000 btu a/c ducted to forwarded bunks and the cabin. Not sure it will cool it here in Florida but time will tell. Batteries outboard of port engine-- a bear to get to.

Capn Craig, if your electrical drawings give any indication as to color coding of the temp gage and tach I would appreciate a shout on that. Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
TF Site Team

FP, Congrats on your choice. I hope it works out. Got any yachtworld links? Keep us posted on your survey.

When I bought my 34, the port tach didn't work. Whenever the alternator on that side stopped charging the batts, the tach would stop. Both alts were wired to charge both batts thru the Perko switch in the all position, so with a light charge requirement, the more powerful stbd alt would take over and the port alt would quit, and take out the tach with it. When the batts were in need of a reasonable charge, both alts came online and the tachs both worked.

Since I rewired each alternator directly to each battery bank, my tach problems have all but disappeared.
Maybe we're looking at at least two different HIN numbering systems since the earlier HINs did not include letters after the first 3 characters. Perhaps Marshall and Wellcraft (and maybe even Carver) used different systems.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 AM   #12

Survey set up for Thursday. The only place the boat was listed was on Ebay--which has expired but still may be there. If not there maybe i can figure out how to send a picture or two. Big issues, even before the survey, are sorting out the leak in the port fuel tank and determining if the port engine is running warm, 190 degrees at WOT, even though it is making 2800rpm or is it the gage. I suspect it is NOT the gage. Could be impeller or any tendency for the Natural 3208 to develop scales in the cooling system? Thanks for all your help.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #13

My HIN is JGM34204M83B and the serial number on the cable chase tag is 3420483. The boat is a 1983 34' LRC built in California then shipped to Florida. It has 3208'S. The boat is now in PNW.
Mgtdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:55 PM   #14

Mgtdguy--thanks for the information. Assume you have the 3208Naturals. Can you cruise at 16 knots with 2500rpm or less? I hope to be able to get at least 16knots. Part of our use will be to run 24nm to the pass into the Gulf and than out at least 24 more miles for some bottom fishing. Don't mind the fuel costs but even at 16knots it is a 3 hour trip. I traded off speed for comfort, but will be disappointed if we can't cruise at 16knots. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:24 PM   #15

Yes they are 3208 N. I bought the boat about a month ago and the following week had to leave for Calif. so I only have one trip in the boat. As I recall 16 knots is about 2400 rpm.
Kept the speed to around 11 knots at 1700 rpm but did spend about 20 minutes at 2450 rpm until we got to the fog bank and slowed down. I think a sustained speed of at least 16 knots will be no problem for you.
Mgtdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #16
Per
Guru

190 degrees is not really running warm from what i recall... i seem to recall 210 degrees being a concern.
operating temp is right around 180 or 190, i dont think this would be a big concern for me.

regarding the wood... it is what makes a californian look great and at the same time it is what makes boat owners squirm... varnishing.

my rails and doors were in real bad shape when we got our boat in 2010, we had professionals remove the old varnish, sand it down and re-do the varnish.
the result was amazing, now it looks great. but it did cost me a couple of "boats"
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:50 AM   #17

Survey found a very small leak in a water hose on the port engine and the water level was down about 3 gal. Hope that was the problem and not a gasket. Boat is on the hill getting bottom job as well as that hose replaced.

I asked the owner about the wood rails. He said he had sanded, varnished, multiple coats and finally gave up. Other than looks what happens if I leave them in their unvarnished, weathered conditon. For us it is a fishing boat and will have blood and guts all over the deck as well. Thanks
Old 10-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #18
Guru

We use ours a lot as a fishing boat too, lots of bottom fishing, salmon in the fall and crabbing. *

I have done the wood rails and gunnels both ways. *However, for the two or three years I let it go natural, I didn't like the way the teak was aging and wearing. *It would get slimmy and a few seams opened. *I was constantly scubbing the slime off of it with a brush and salt water and the wood was easily dented and scarred from the abuse of fishing.

Then they came out with a product called Cetol, worked great on the rails. *I stripped it once to bare wood and put on three coats of Cetol regular. *Then every spring, I give it a light sanding with 200 grit paper (just basically knocking the glaze off and rough up *the surface) and sand out any wear points or areas where finish has pealed and coat these with Cetol regular. *Then I put on a coat of Cetol light over the whole thing. *Takes me about one weekend to do this and you're good for the fishing season. *In Florida you have more sun than here in the PNW, so maybe you're going to have to do another coat in the fall?

This won't be a perfect, flawless, "dock queen" mirror surface, but it will be very presentable and will protect the wood from damage.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:36 AM   #19

Wellcraft Californian 34 LRC HIN

I think for me it will be Cetol time than, when they get slimmy. Right now they are dry and no appearance of seams. Don't need "dock queen looks" but do want to protect the wood. Thanks

-- Edited by Fighterpilot on Monday 24th of October 2011 05:37:23 AM
Old 11-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

City: Puerto Rico
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: Californian 34
Hello all...
I bought my Californian just a couple of months ago, starting to know her and looking for info like everyone. My HIN is JGM34230M84K, guess is a 34 made in 84. Got the 3208NA, top 14knts at 2400rpms, cruise at at confy 12Kts at 2100rpms, 10gph. I've read here of 14-16 knts on same engines, my Cats run smoke free up to wot, but I get only 14knts. If I can cruise at 14 and top at 16-18, I would never sell this boat! I have not had a chance to check prop size, they are 3 blade. I've read here of factory prop 24X22 4 blade.

orvals is offline   Reply With Quote