Old 11-05-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Congrat on your purchase. The Californian's are a great boat and you should have many years of service from her.

I don't have the Cat Diesels but some of the other Californian owners on here do and can help you out with the engine loading questions.

Larry B.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Based on what little I've been able to discern about Californian HINs, the J and M designate it as a Jules Marshall designed boat. Mine is "JCM034020177" with the C meaning built in CA. This is from Gil Marshall, Jules' son.

I figured the 034 means 34 footer and 77 is the 1977 build year. I asked Gil about the 0201 but the papers have been lost through several corporate sales and he could not definitely determine the meaning.

If yours is a 1984, it would be a Wellcraft model built in ? Florida? . Do you have aluminum window frames and white panel doors?

No Cats here, either. But according to Gil Marshall, the 34 with the Cats was his favorite for its speed.

Here are some articles you might find interesting. 34 Californian Articles, Specs and Factory Options List

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Puerto Rico
Vessel Name: Ohana
Vessel Model: Californian 34
Ohanna

My new Califonian...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sue.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	24374  
orvals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #24

Congratulations and welcome aboard. Mine is a 82 model and a early Wellcraft product though I believe it was built in California. I have 200 hp 6 cyl Perkins 354's turbo after cooled engines. The horsepower is 10HP per engine less than the Cats but from what I can tell they performed slightly better at WOT than the Cats due to their somewhat lighter weight. I get 20, 21mph out of them on gps. Mine came to me with 21x21 3 blade props running thru 1:1.52 Borg Warners. If you look in the archives you may find they came with 22x22 3 blades new with the 200 Perkins. I don't recall seeing specs on the 210 Cats. Based on my boat which has undoubtedly gained weight over the years (me too) It could not get up to RPMS w/ 22x22 props. I just this late summer ran across a pair of 21x19 4 blades that I bought off Ebay. I am absolutely happy with them. They rum very close to the 21 x 21 3 blades I had but they are a bit faster I think. RPM is very similar at 2450 WOT. They get a better bite and are smoother. I had both 3 blade props tuned and balanced at a quality prop shop. One thing I garnered from the top shelf prop shop was that pitch is somewhat less than a perfect measurement to spec. Their computer measured inspection report revealed to me that pitch is the average of all blades measured at all locations and is not a perfect measurement. Mine were to spec but that only means they were within tolerance, not that they were perfect. My new to me 4 blades were apparently recently serviced but I don't know when and I did not get an inspection report. I take from this that 19 pitch might have been a half inch or more off. What I do know is that I am very happy with the performance. Mathematically they should over rev based on what I had, but hey don't. The variable that is not easy to predict is slippage. I am an engineer and the thing I learned over the years is don't trust the inspection measurements but to use them as a guide. I don't know what you have as to reduction ratio, but I am curious.
I have trim tabs on my boat. If you research the archives about trim tabs you will probably conclude trim tabs have not much use on a trawler. It would be my experience that this totally is wrong for a semi planing hull such as the 34 LRC with enough horsepower to actually plane the boat. I would not give up my trim tabs for anything. The Glendenning synchronizer I could live without..
I know that I will be considered as totally crazy to say this, But that be as it may, My goal is to record a video of me waterskiing behind the trawler. I know it can be done but I'm too fat and old to hang on long enough to get up to speed. I'll spend my long winter months snowmobiling and trying to figure a safe way to get up on skis. while the boat gets to planing speed. Video to follow, I'd rather be confirmed nuts than to be suspect nuts.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:26 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Craig View Post
I know that I will be considered as totally crazy to say this, But that be as it may, My goal is to record a video of me waterskiing behind the trawler. I know it can be done but I'm too fat and old to hang on long enough to get up to speed. I'll spend my long winter months snowmobiling and trying to figure a safe way to get up on skis. while the boat gets to planing speed. Video to follow, I'd rather be confirmed nuts than to be suspect nuts.
Capn Craig
Now don't do something to hurt yourself here!!! We would all be just as happy to see a video of a bikini swimsuit model skiing behind your boat.....
Old 11-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #26

Larry, your concern is appriciated. but I am faced with a long winter layoff with out any recomish leftover. While I was driving downriver to the restover place, I noted that I could ski at that fast speed. I appreciate the opportunity to make it happen. I'm not sure it doesn't require a second boat to achieve ski speed. That said how do you transfer pull between
boats???? That will be the conversation over beers on snowmobile trips
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by orvals View Post
Hello all...
I bought my Californian just a couple of months ago, starting to know her and looking for info like everyone. My HIN is JGM34230M84K, guess is a 34 made in 84. Got the 3208NA, top 14knts at 2400rpms, cruise at at confy 12Kts at 2100rpms, 10gph. I've read here of 14-16 knts on same engines, my Cats run smoke free up to wot, but I get only 14knts. If I can cruise at 14 and top at 16-18, I would never sell this boat! I have not had a chance to check prop size, they are 3 blade. I've read here of factory prop 24X22 4 blade.
What is rated max RPM at WOT for those engines??? I am under the impression based on a quick google search that max RPM for that engine is 2800. If you are only getting 2400 with the power lever firewalled, then you are overpropped and that is not good for the engines...especially if you run them hard which it seems you do. I do believe a 3208NA is more tolerant of being overpropped since they do not deal with the higher temps of turbocharged versions.

To give you an idea. My Cummins 330Bs also have a 2800 max rated RPM. I run them at 2400. BUT, WOT I can achieve about 3100RPM....meaning I am underpropped and the engines are not working as hard. If all I could achieve was 2400 at WOT, my engines would be cooked in about 1000-1500 hours. I do believe a highly boosted Cummins is a bit of different animal than an NA 3208. But you are doing your engines a diservice if all you can get is 2400 WOT. And their service will be drastically reduced over time. It would not be nearly as detrimental if you were running around 1500RPMs.

PS...you will likely LOSE speed if you take pitch out of your props.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks All...
Capn...For now, I'm just enjoying the ride and cruising along at 10-12knts, 2000-2100RPMs. Fist assigment is to see what props I've got now. They are 3 blade, not sure on the size. Previous owner just installed new gearboxes on both engines, but he said that they were 1:1 ratio. I've read that the spec prop with the Cats was a 3 blade 22X21 and WOT would get about 21MPH. I'm getting her out of the water in Feb and then I'll know what's really on there. Bottom paints still pretty good, no serious fouling, props are clean, but painted with anti-fouling, anodes are almost gone, and I'm sure, like your's, she's gained a few pounds, she got new 200ft of anchor chain. I've sailing for over 30 years, first boat with full chain and I am about to sell it, I cannot see the use of so much weight on the boat for regular anchoring. I think I can save 3-400 pounds there. Anyways, we did experiment with a friends Ronin 38 with TA Detroits and the difference with 4 blade props was amazing. As I mentioned, the Cats are suposed to do 2800 at wot, mine do 2500rpm aparently by governor, they do not go beyond that. Underway with a clean botom the do reach the 2500rpm with no smoke, with a dirty botom they do smoke a bit at the top. The performance curve shows 489 lb of torque@1500 and 454@2000, torque drops to 390lb@4800, guess it will be bit fun playing with the props
Old 11-08-2013, 04:33 PM   #29
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Have you joined www.boatdiesel.com? It's worth the few dollars per year for the membership. You'll be able to size your props properly for your 3208na engines and obtain help from engine/prop guys which make their living working on your setups like yours. Your transmissions are probably not 1:1. Most likely 2.5:1 or so. Check the serial numbers and other information on the plates attached to the transmissions.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Thanks, I will. found strange a 1:1 trans....
Old 02-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #31

I have a black tag in my Cali 34. The HIN number is JCM340120178. The black tag says 34-12. The insurance company says the three numbers following JCM34 is your boat number that was made that year which coincides with the black tag. Mine being the 12th 34 ft Cali built in 1978. Still unsure what the 01 number following the 12 means. We purchased this boat as a project boat and all mechanical engines are working but had major rot from leaks in the windows. Looking forward to cruising this year.
cajun mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #32
TF Site Team

That helps a lot, cajun mistress. That would indicate my vessel is the 2nd boat in 1977, not hull #1. I do not have a metal tag on the post.

Does your boat have a header for radios and gages?

Was your rot found behind the settee? I have an area of the mahogany that appears to have been removed at a level below the top of seat back cushion. It's not visible until the cushion is removed. OTOH, it's a very clean cut and maybe it was built that way - not sure.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #33
Guru

Humm. There is still something wrong with our HIN decoding.

My HIN is JCM037550776 Chase Tag says 37 -55 (37' #55)

Cajun - isn't there a "0" after JCM in your HIN?? I know after Marshall sold out more character letters were added to the HIN, but your boat should be a Marshall??

The three numbers after 037 would make my boat #550 according to your insurance Company. (37' was only built 2 years 1976 and 77 very limited production) and the chase tag says it was hull #55??

For me the "07" is the mystery. . . Maybe the month? My boat was delivered by truck to Seattle in August 1976, so that would make sense.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #34
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun mistress View Post
I have a black tag in my Cali 34. The HIN number is JCM340120178. The black tag says 34-12. The insurance company says the three numbers following JCM34 is your boat number that was made that year which coincides with the black tag. Mine being the 12th 34 ft Cali built in 1978. Still unsure what the 01 number following the 12 means. We purchased this boat as a project boat and all mechanical engines are working but had major rot from leaks in the windows. Looking forward to cruising this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
Humm. There is still something wrong with our HIN decoding.

My HIN is JCM037550776 Chase Tag says 37 -55 (37' #55)

Cajun - isn't there a "0" after JCM in your HIN?? I know after Marshall sold out more character letters were added to the HIN, but your boat should be a Marshall??

The three numbers after 037 would make my boat #550 according to your insurance Company. (37' was only built 2 years 1976 and 77 very limited production) and the chase tag says it was hull #55??

For me the "07" is the mystery. . . Maybe the month? My boat was delivered by truck to Seattle in August 1976, so that would make sense.
Makes sense...CM, could it be that your HIN is JCM034120178? I have also wondered about the 2 digits before the 2-digit year being the month of completion. This might hold water if there are none higher than 12.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:36 PM   #35

Evidently someone erroneously placed the zero after my 34 instead of 034 it reads 340. And since the black tag reads 34-12, it would be logical. I actually think this is an accurate understanding of my HIN
JCM340120178

JCM - made in California by Jules Marshall
340 (034 for some) length of the vessel
12 - number twelve built in 1978
01 - January production
78 - year built

THAT'S MY STORY AND I AM STICKING TO IT. LOL
Old 02-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #36

Edelweiss it looks like by your HIN
JCM - California made by Jules Marshall
037 - length of your vessel
55 - number 55 boat made that year
07 - made in July
76 - a 1976 vessel.

Flywright - Our settee is the same as you describe, only ours is teak. No radio header but we will be adding one for sure!

We have the original owners manual that came with our Californian34. We put the pages in plastic covers and made a big notebook with them.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #37
Guru

Are you saying the HIN on your boat is 340 or the paperwork is just wrong? You need to double check your paperwork against the hull number stamped into the transom on the starboard side of your boat. If the paperwork is wrong and doesn't match boats HIN you need to have it inspected and corrected. Are you documented or State registered?
Old 02-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #38

340 is stamped on the boat. It is Coast Guard documented.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #39
TF Site Team

Quote:
Flywright - Our settee is the same as you describe, only ours is teak. No radio header but we will be adding one for sure!

We have the original owners manual that came with our Californian34. We put the pages in plastic covers and made a big notebook with them.
These pics show the Philippine Ribbon Mahogany and a little of the header above the windshield.

I've never seen a Californian with teak aside from teak doors and exterior brightwork.

I've also never seen an original manual! Any gems of insight in there?

Old 02-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
340 is stamped on the boat. It is Coast Guard documented.
As long as your paperwork matches the number stamped on the boat, that's all that matters. Regardless of whether is should have been 034 or 340. Errors in registration and titling can result in theft and recovery problems and issues with insurance.

Al
My back splash is factory and it's brown wood grain laminate which matches the counter tops. It isn't quite as tall as yours. The kick panel below the helm is aftermarket?? I have the same ribbon mahogany paneling.