Old 05-10-2016, 02:32 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Either that or over an hour...
Wifey B: If you use the V Berth properly, you'll never notice the waves.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:56 PM   #22
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Wooden GB = no noise!

Old 05-10-2016, 07:54 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I love the slap. Puts me to sleep like a baby, and oddly I sleep far better in the v-berth than I do in the big bed in the master cabin aft. Now creaking mooring lines on the other hand, that drives me nuts. Had to get leather sleeves for the lines to stop that annoying noise at the contact points.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #24
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
We have our own slip at our YC. Never had squeaking lines. This season we do. Same slip, same lines, same cleats. What's going on?
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:02 PM   #25
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
Wooden GB = no noise!
So no slaps on a woodie?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:10 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
We have our own slip at our YC. Never had squeaking lines. This season we do. Same slip, same lines, same cleats. What's going on?
In our last slip we had dock posts covered in pretty white pvc pipes and caps. I though the squeak was friction on the pvc, so I took off the post cover and re-tied. Still creaked. Tried those leather sleeves coming off the boat cleats, still creaked. Bought a new boat and a new slip, one post creaks now, and wouldn't you know it, of course it's the mooring line closest to the head of the master cabin bed.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #27
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
So no slaps on a woodie?
Not mine

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:34 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
In our last slip we had dock posts covered in pretty white pvc pipes and caps. I though the squeak was friction on the pvc, so I took off the post cover and re-tied. Still creaked. Tried those leather sleeves coming off the boat cleats, still creaked. Bought a new boat and a new slip, one post creaks now, and wouldn't you know it, of course it's the mooring line closest to the head of the master cabin bed.
Have you tried rubber snubber or reversing the boat in your slip?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:03 AM   #29
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: If you use the V Berth properly, you'll never notice the waves.
Wifey....you're slacking!!! It took you 2....3 days. I was fully expecting you to be all over that one!!!!...
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:13 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Wifey....you're slacking!!! It took you 2....3 days. I was fully expecting you to be all over that one!!!!...
Wifey B: Guess my brain froze in the 29 degree weather up here. Must have as I'm actually going fishing tomorrow. Only going down to 38 tonight and it's going to be 73 tomorrow. Well, time for sleep, evening fun and workout complete.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:59 AM   #31
Guru

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Ebbtide
Vessel Model: '72 Grand Banks
Quote:
So no slaps on a woodie?

Nope. No chines to catch the ripples and that inch and a quarter of mahogany is a natural sound deadener.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:18 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Guess my brain froze in the 29 degree weather up here. Must have as I'm actually going fishing tomorrow. Only going down to 38 tonight and it's going to be 73 tomorrow. Well, time for sleep, evening fun and workout complete.
Well good luck with the fishing...let us know how it goes!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:41 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
I never noticed it....until all of you MFers started talking about it!!!!
Ha ha ha, Baker, I say exactly that to my patients who come in and complain about tinnitus, (swishing noises in the ears for those who wonder).

Actually, in buying a fixer-upper as we did, this was one thing that was a plus. There weren't many of those, but I knew that, and the price was good.
The teak trim in the for'd cabin had become water-stained by leaks, since fixed, but the PO had stripped the cabin out back to the bare hull to re-do the lining, but had not done so when I bought it. I relined the cabin with new teak veneer, but before doing so, anticipating this issue having owned yachts, (sailboats to youse), I placed heavy duty fibreglass insulation batts between the hull and the new lining. Works well - keeps the cabin warmer, minimises condensation, and cuts the lapping down to a nice reassuring level, just enough to remind us we are out, as opposed to at home. If it gets too quiet I get nervous.

Of course this cure would be a bit drastic for most of you with much more shite and briny newer boats, but see...there are some benefits from buying a fixer-upper.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:07 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Well good luck with the fishing...let us know how it goes!!!
Wifey B: Caught one walleye and one bass. Touched neither one. It was fun. Our group is out in two boats. One we called the "pros" as they are true fishermen and then we are in the "amateur" boat. I'm sure the other boat will catch more than us. Plus they're staying out for the day. The four of us caught 9 total fish.

Too much fishing bores me, but I like a little. We fish maybe 3-4 times a year. We sailboat about the same.

Now back to the topic at hand, noise and slapping in the V berth.

The first time ever sleeping on a boat was sort of freaky to me. Forget the slapping and stuff, just the whole idea of sleeping with water right beside you, maybe even under it. I had this picture of it gushing in. Every little sound magnified it. Now I sleep far more on a boat than at home. All the sounds are just normal to me now, even the clanging sailboats.

Still by far the most fun place to sleep on a boat is on the flybridge. The moon, the stars, the seas. On anniversaries we've been known to have someone just take us out and drive us around all night as we staying on the bridge and celebrated. You look out on a perfect world and for that one night, everything else is gone. If there are any of you who have never spent a night on your bridge, or deck if you don't have a bridge, with the person you love, try it. You'll like it. And if your mate is no longer, it's not the same but share that beauty sometime with kids and grandkids. Wake up to the most beautiful sunrise that goes on forever. Use an inflatable or a lounge chair or anything to sleep on.

As to noise in the v berth think of what that sound represents, it's a lullaby being sung by the sea, the sea that goes forever, the sea that fulfills dreams. Let it sing and rock you to sleep.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #35

City: SoCal
Vessel Name: Ansedonia
Vessel Model: Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Band B,

"As to noise in the v berth think of what that sound represents, it's a lullaby being sung by the sea, the sea that goes forever, the sea that fulfills dreams. Let it sing and rock you to sleep. "

I think that sums it up beautifully. I have to remember why we are out there to begin with.

Cheers, Bill
Old 05-22-2016, 11:34 AM   #36

City: South Florida
There are damping treatments that can reduce wave slap and tolerate water / condensation, but you need access on the inside from a foot or so above and below the waterline and especially any step, chine, or spray rail. Damping with what is sometimes called "navy tiles"
Some people have had good results using an acoustic carpet underlayment under the mattress.
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #37
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Spent a nice afternoon yesterday with a fellow TF member and his wife. We agreed on aft cabin quietness at dock and anchor. No solution has yet been found to calm the seas, so an ocean sailors mentality is needed - so long as you are not flipped from the bunk it was a quiet night!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #38

It may help done to use an anchor "bridle". This is a line attached to both fwd cleats with a heavy caribiner clip in the middle. Connect it to the anchor chain about half way to the water and take up some slack. This will allow the bow to track into the waves better when clocking with the wind.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:15 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
There are damping treatments that can reduce wave slap and tolerate water / condensation, but you need access on the inside from a foot or so above and below the waterline and especially any step, chine, or spray rail. Damping with what is sometimes called "navy tiles"
Some people have had good results using an acoustic carpet underlayment under the mattress.
You would probably be better off using this stuff or one of the other brands similar to it: Dynamat.com | Dynamat Sound Damping | Thermal Solutions
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:21 AM   #40

City: South Florida
DynaMat is a good product for thin metal panels and is used in the auto industry to make slamming a car door sound like a Mercedes instead of a Pinto.

It should reduce wave slap some, but DynaMat for this application is kiddy pool performance compared to a real Navy tile.

http://www.soundown.com/images/2.3/d...10%201%20A.pdf

Both would require access to the hull at the waterline in the forward berth area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
You would probably be better off using this stuff or one of the other brands similar to it: Dynamat.com | Dynamat Sound Damping | Thermal Solutions

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote