Old 08-22-2017, 06:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: chattanooga tn
water tank leak

we have a leak in the water tank of our Californian 45. Started as a small trickle. we can still can keep water for three or four days. It appears to be from the bottom which is out of site. One boat mechanic has recommended opening the top via the hatch at the foot of the cabin berth and spraying some type of sealant and or taking out the washer, creating a hatch and approaching it from the front of the tank.Has anyone dealt with this issue? OB

obenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Are the tanks fiberglass? A few KK42's fiberglass water tanks leaked. The reported fix was to determine where the leak was through the inspection port which are at the top at one end. The tanks are long and not very deep. Then go through the floor over the leak by removing the teak parquet and cutting the plywood subfloor to expose the top of the tank. Then cut an access hole into the tank and repair from the inside with fiberglass or epoxy.

Do you know what the boat mechanic was suggesting to use as a sealant? If you go that route, I'd think you'd have to prep the inside of the tank so the sealant would stick.

Good luck with the project and please keep us posted.

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: chattanooga tn
water tank

yes it is fiberglass . and there is a hatch that exposes the tank. He mentioned cleaning the inside thoroughly and spraying the entire inside.We do not have parquet flooring - just plywood.Thanks
obenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:41 PM   #4
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Did you follow this thread about a 42" Californian water tank fix. If not, it might give you an idea what you're looking at. Start at about post #26 Capt Rob's water tank fix. He has some pictures which are self explanatory

FRP Water Tank Access on Californian 42LRC
Old 08-30-2017, 05:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Mt. Pleasant
Vessel Name: Paws Aboard
Vessel Model: 45 Californian
Don't know about your tank but on my 1990 45 the fresh water tank is under the berth in the aft stateroom. I just took my bed out to gain access to the water level sending unit. Lots of screws but all in all not too bad to get it out. That gave me easy access to all sides of the water tank. Let me know if you have the same setup and I can give you a few tips to save time.
Mitchell
creekcrab is online now   Reply With Quote