Water Damage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stu-L

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Great Escape
Vessel Make
1981 Californian
I have a 1981 34ft Californian. On the port side I have water damage where the bridge connects to the main cabin. There is a lip that extends out above the windows and underneath the lip is wood. It is the wood that is damaged. Anybody have a similar problem?

I have a 1981 34ft Californian. On the port side I have water damage where the bridge connects to the main cabin. There is a lip that extends out above the windows and underneath the lip is wood. It is the wood that is damaged. Anybody have a similar problem?

Mine isn't a 34', but I had a similar problem with water leaks coming down from the flybridge into the headliner above the counter.

Your cause might be different, but what I found was a water leak from a stripped out screw hole on one of the flybridge attachment screws which extends into the cabin roof. They take the flybridge off the house and set it on the back of the boat, to reduce the overall load height of the boat when they transport them from southern California on lowboy tractor trailer rigs. The dealers reinstall the flybridge in Seattle when the boat arrived. I found one screw that was stripped out and not sealed properly. Reinstalled an oversize screw with the appropriate sealer and all was fine since.

That may be the source of your water damage as well. You may have to remove some of the flybridge interior trim panels to access the screws holding it too the cabin roof.

Last edited:
Had the same problem. Same side.

I had the same issue on the port side of my 34. The water issue is due to poor or failed bedding of the metal strip and screws. There is a seam under the strip and water will get in. There are actually two pieces in there. The 3/8 or so thick finished teak and underneath that a piece of Fir. I replaced with a single piece of mahogany. I built taper into part of the piece so water would run out if it ever got in. I will post pictures if I can find them.

pictures attached

Pictures attached

Attachments

• IMG_1018.jpg
    IMG_1018.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_1023.jpg
    IMG_1023.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1025.jpg
    IMG_1025.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1027.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1054.jpg
    IMG_1054.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 114
Greetings,
Mr. D. Nice work. It appears you may have insect damage in that area as well...Termites? Carpenter ants?

No bugs

RTF thanks. That piece I made up fit like a glove first try. Tapped in just snug enough to hold itself in place. There was no bug damage. That is air bubbles in the glass work when the fir was glassed in. The edge of the salon head liner had to be pulled to gain access to the screws in the picture. I had to cut out and epoxy back in a piece of the cabin interior plywood in the same area so the liner had to be pulled back anyway.

Back
Top Bottom