Old 10-09-2015, 11:43 AM   #1

City: Vallejo,Ca
Vessel Name: SCARAB II
Vessel Model: 1976 42'MARSHAL-CALIFORNIAN
Turbo aftercoolers on my 1975 42' Californian

Looking around for new cases for my Perkins T354's aftercoolers,and possibly internal fins? These are the big square box looking ones.
Haven't removed them yet. But from what I can visually see the inlet and outlet tubes are no longer able to accommodate the hoses and or tubes from turbo. They're rusted off.
I resentally purchased boat and am learning about it as I go.
Can anyone tell me some good news?
I've had British marine in Oakland tell me they aren't available anymore .
I think he was trying to snooker me into a sale.
Scarab II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Try Trans Atlantic Diesels who sells parts and rebuilds these engines. Website is here: TAD for Perkins T6.354.4 Diesel Engine, Perkins T6.354.4 Diesel, Perkins T6.354.4 Marine Diesel, Perkins Diesel

Hopefully this is a glycol coolant cooled air cooler. Are you seeing any drop in antifreeze level which indicates a leak.

The other type of air cooler is sea water cooled. One of these leaking is very bad.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Perkins people refer to these as the "breadbox" coolers.
My engine has the somewhat smaller round type, I made my own housings from PVC pipe w/ bronze nipples. Actually sold a few online too. Still have a drawing showing how I did it if you are interested and it comes to that b/c of price or availability.
I could still get the round housings from Bowman but way too expensive for what they are in CI.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Try Trans Atlantic Diesels who sells parts and rebuilds these engines. Website is here: TAD for Perkins T6.354.4 Diesel Engine, Perkins T6.354.4 Diesel, Perkins T6.354.4 Marine Diesel, Perkins Diesel

Hopefully this is a glycol coolant cooled air cooler. Are you seeing any drop in antifreeze level which indicates a leak.

The other type of air cooler is sea water cooled. One of these leaking is very bad.

David
mine are the square box type.Fittings completely rusted down to nubs. I'll check web site. Sounds like a good place to start. Thanks much
Old 10-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #5

I think water cooled . Antifreeze would have kept them from rusting away.PVC does sound less expensive.Like to hear more about them.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #6
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
I know this is a year old post. But, just to add some experience for anyone else who comes cross it. Orca makes drop-in replacements. They look a lot different. But, other than the need to drill one hole in the mounting plate, the pretty much drop in. I've had them in for a few weeks, and have had the boat out three times, and had it WOT for extended periods to test things. They seemed to do the job. I got them from Russ at Mr. Cool.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesden View Post
I got them from Russ at Mr. Cool.
Those Mr. Cool people are....well....uh....pretty damn cool!!! I got a Cummins Heat exchanger from them. They sent the wrong one. They immediately sent the right one with a label for return shipping without me returning the old one. I got the right/new one, packed and slapped a label on the wrong one, and everything was fine. THAT is how you do customer service!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #8
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Oh yeah....$850 for the exact same Exchanger that Cummins charges $1800 OEM.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:09 AM   #9
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
I had the same thing happen. Somehow I must have mismeasured or something and got the wrong heat exchangers. They sent me the right ones out a day or two after I called.

As for the wrong ones, I dropped them off at a UPS store and they sent the UPS Store a shipping label via email. No fuss. No mess.

2 intercoolers, 2 heat exchangers, 2 reserve tanks, 2 oil/tranny coolers, 2 exhaust manifolds, and a bazillion gaskets and screws. I was burning Russ's ears off and sending cellphone photos for a good 3 weeks while I was sorting it out (new boat owner)! I'd have to look back for the details, but I think it was $13k or so in parts, in the end! But, not bad for replacing the whole raw water loop on 2 Perkins 6.354MGT engines and opting for the most corrosion-resistant alloys.

When the things arrived, I thought they'd confused them with fine china. They were packed in huge boxes with tons of that expanding foam, etc. Came through perfect.

In my case, everything was after-market. But, to shake things down, I've been running the boat for bursts at WOT and idle and the temps peak and level out where they should....so everything seems to be working just as good as the originals.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote