Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 92
Trim tabs on Trawlers

Good morning
I'm new to trawlers coming from faster gas boats and still looking for my 38 aft cabin. In the mean time I am asking questions just because I don't know. Do Trawlers utilize trim tabs? I understand the Californians to be hard chined and flatter as you get towards the stern. More of a semi-planing hull. Would they benefit at all from trim tabs?
Thanks
Jim
__________________
Advertisement

jclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
Guru
 
kchace's Avatar
 
City: Brookline, NH
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,566
A trawler with enough power to plane would, but I doubt it would matter on any trawler that has power to only do 8-10K WOT.


Ken
__________________

kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
fgarriso's Avatar
 
City: Desoto
Country: USA
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: 1973 Alaskan 59-B PH
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 196
Most true trawlers run at 7-8 knots. I don't think tabs would work at those speeds.
__________________
Captain F. Lee - R.P.E.
USCG 200 ton Master
fgarriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
Guru
 
Keysdisease's Avatar
 
City: South Florida
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 701
A large enough trim tab will effect the trim on even a full displacement hull, but those hulls don't usually lend themselves to enough real transom to make them work.

On Semi-Displacement hulls like thee olde Mainship to the left, absolutely they work very well. They need to be on the large size to account for the slower speed, but they trim the vessel fore to aft and port to starboard and help the vessel get on plane and stay on plane at lower speeds

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #5
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,781
If you don’t have the power to plane they are useless
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:06 PM   #6
TF Site Team
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysdisease View Post
A large enough trim tab will effect the trim on even a full displacement hull, but those hulls don't usually lend themselves to enough real transom to make them work.

On Semi-Displacement hulls like thee olde Mainship to the left, absolutely they work very well. They need to be on the large size to account for the slower speed, but they trim the vessel fore to aft and port to starboard and help the vessel get on plane and stay on plane at lower speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
If you don’t have the power to plane they are useless
Agree on both counts.
Mainship had Bennett install stops to limit the travel on some of their late model years. When replacing mine I eliminated the stop and get much better performance. One needs to be cautious in following seas conditions and I beloieve this is the reason MS had the stops added.
__________________
Don
2008 MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5,402
We have them on our boat which will top out at 17 knots. However since we always cruise at about 8.5 knots we have never used them since the sea trial.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you aren’t one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,986
Trim tabs on trawlers is just self inflicted drag.
We just don’t go fast enough to benefit.
The OP said on “trawlers”.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:05 PM   #9
Guru
 
dhays's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 8,392
I have large trim tabs on my North Pacific 43. At my normal cruise speed of around 7 knots, they don't make a difference. On the very rare occasions when I feel like I just have too much money and want to burn it up in fuel, they can help starting at around 8.5-9.0 knots.


The original owner wanted them so the builder installed them. I would have saved my money.
__________________
Regards,

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:34 PM   #10
Guru
 
djmarchand's Avatar
 
City: Litchfield, Ct/Punta Gorda, Fl
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Atlas Pompano 23
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,759
I had trim tabs on two so called fast trawlers.

On my 2006 Mainship 34T they added a knot or so to top speed and dropped the bow a bit. The boat was barely on a plane such as it is and probably was still mushing through the water at 12 kts.

On my 2003 Mainship Pilot 34 they were much more effective, probably because the cruising speed was higher- 14-15 kts vs 12 for the 34T. It would drop the bow significantly and add several knots at cruising speed.


David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:17 PM   #11
Guru
 
Rebel112r's Avatar
 
City: Birch bay wa
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Rogue
Vessel Model: North Pacific 42
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 555
I have not been able to discern any change in trim. I have tried them in flat calm at all speeds that I travel at. They are a good place to place tools and parts though, when you are in the yard.
Rebel112r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Mikala's Avatar
 
City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Mikala
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 190
Not trying to bust anyone’s chops, but if it has trims tabs it’s not a trawler.
Mikala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #13
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala View Post
Not trying to bust anyone’s chops, but if it has trims tabs it’s not a trawler.



Most of us here dont own a "trawler"..


HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #14
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Country: USA
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,739
There was a thread here a few years ago.. do a search and this was discussed at length before.


My O.A. 40 does have them and it makes a bit of difference above 7.5 kts or so.
For the same throttle setting at 1600 ( my usual cruise rpm ) I gain about 2/10 of a kt.
The bow does drop a bit and I do have better forward visibility from the lower helm.
They are a pain in the ass to keep clean and marine growth really loves them.
If I didn't have them I wouldn't add them as they don't do enough to justify the cost of install.. but I'm not removing them because there paid for and they do a little good.

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member
 
Slowmo's Avatar
 
City: Lafayette
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 57
Most 'trawlers' actually have modified planning hulls (e.g. Grand Banks, OA, Marine Trader, North Pacific etc). But cruising at 8-10KN its hard to see that they'll have a big effect. I've beens surprised at how many trawlers are equipped with tabs even though their power would limit them to 10kn max. I would not go so far as to say that if a boat has tabs it isn't a trawler since there isn't a definition of hull type for a trawler.

We have tabs on our Tollycraft but almost never move them (keep them neutral) since we're crusing 8-9kn. They only time they helped was to counter a bit of heel in a heavy cross wind, but even then it was a marginal benefit and probably cost me fuel.
Slowmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:30 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
fgarriso's Avatar
 
City: Desoto
Country: USA
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: 1973 Alaskan 59-B PH
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 196
Recreational trawlers are pleasure boats which resemble fishing trawlers. They can also be called cruising trawlers or trawler yachts. Within the category, however, are many types and styles of vessels.
A fishing trawler for example, always has a displacement hull for load-carrying capacity. Recreational trawlers, on the other hand, are as likely to have a semi-displacement hull. However, with the rising cost of fuel and the lower fuel consumption (though also lower speed) offered by displacement hulls, they are gaining popularity among some buyers. These displacement models typically have a cruising speed of 7–9 knots (13–17 km/h) depending on the boat length. Their maximum speed is often no more than 10–12 knots (19–22 km/h), whereas semi-displacement hulls can attain 14–20 knots (26–37 km/h). Recreational trawlers need only a small engine; 80 hp (60 kW) can be adequate in a 42 ft (13 m) boat, which will use less than 25 hp (19 kW) to cruise.
__________________
Captain F. Lee - R.P.E.
USCG 200 ton Master
fgarriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:57 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
lipets's Avatar
 
City: FL
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 253
All the swift trawlers have them
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:18 PM   #18
Guru
 
Simi 60's Avatar
 
City: Queensland
Country: Australia
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 2,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipets View Post
All the swift trawlers have them
Not a trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriso View Post
. Recreational trawlers, on the other hand, are as likely to have a semi-displacement hull.
Not a trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmo View Post
Most 'trawlers' actually have modified planning hulls (e.g. Grand Banks, OA, Marine Trader, North Pacific etc).
Not a trawler


You could call them a ski boat but just because you or someone calls it one does not make it so.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:07 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
lipets's Avatar
 
City: FL
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Benneteau Swift 42
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 253
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Not a trawler
You could call them a ski boat but just because you or someone calls it one does not make it so.

Just because you say so, doesn't make it so
lipets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
obthomas's Avatar
 
City: Seabrook Texas
Country: USA
Vessel Name: TheVenture
Vessel Model: 1985 Bestway Labelle Sundeck 40ft
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 470
I have a marine trading Labelle 40, it is a 7 knot boat and has trim tabs. They work for me when my sister-in-law moves away from center to Starboard or Port.
__________________

obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×