Transom door in a 34' Cal. LRC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capn Craig

Guru
I am seriously considering purchasing a 34' LRC. *This boat does not have a transom door, which my wife would really like since she probably spends as much time in the water as on the water. *I see a door was an option when the boat was new. *It doesn't look like a bad job to cut a door into the transom once you get past the taking a saw to the boat. *Measure twice, cut once, don't screw up. * Has anybody done this? *Does anybody have pictures of how the factory door was done? *Side opening doors would be nice as well. *I haven't seen any I don't think. *are there any structural considerations?THANKS *for your ideas.

This is something that is not necessarily endemic to Californians only. You might get better traffic and responses in the "General" area.

I have considered the same modification, but was talked out of it by the boat yard boss. He said he could do it, but advised against it due to structural considerations. He estimated the cost at $4500-5000. I considered calling Navigator/Californian Yachts in Perris, CA to ask the question, but never got around to it. I wouldn't be surprised if Jule Marshall could provide some insight.

It was a factory option. *Something like $750.00 in 82 if I recall what I read. *I have seen pictures of a 34 LRC with the door on YW. *I have been collecting pictures, *It was on the starboard side. *My boat is in Kentucky at the moment and I'm in Iowa, so I am seeing this by memory. * And, I have only been on the boat three days, having just bought it. * From the pictures the bottom of the opening is 3 to 4 inches above the cockpit floor. *The cockpit floor is fairly shallow relative to the sides, so I doubt the door is over 18 inches high. *From an engineering perspective, I don't see the opening weakening anything to a significant level, assuming that one does a good and proper job of glassing the opening jams. *payng attention that the jamb surfaces are tied well to the transom glass and the cockpit liner. *I anticipate I would fill the void between the transom and the cockpit liner with spray foam. *I think it would be smart to mount the hinges before cutting the door out to assure good alignment afterwards. * The jams look to be 'square' to the transom (that is perpendicular to the tangent to the transom radius) on the hinge (outboard) side. *slightly downhill inside to outside at the bottom. *And at roughly a 60 deg angle on the opening (inboard) side. This allows the door to swing clear.I haven't figured out the tool of choice for cutting the opening, but getting it straight, and matching the inner and outer cuts will be critical. * Something on the order of a 2 inch radius in the lower corners will be needed. *The good news is that the actual cuts will need th be roughly 3/8" wide or more to allow for jam glass attachment, so they can be straightened after cutting some if need be.

I just wish I could find some close-up pictures. *I haven't yet tried to contact anyone from Marshall. *I have heard they are helpful.

If I take this on this summer, I am planning to, I will document the process with pictures.

While my wife may certainly like the option, the thought of slicing open the transom to make the door gives me the shivers. I put two small hatches in the forward cabin top to increase the ventilation in the V berth two years ago.(best mod we've made) That first cut called for a lot of deep breathing as it was. Maybe when our legs won't bend anymore, or I keep falling backwards into the water as I try to get over the transom, I'll give it some serious thought. truth be told tho' I 'll most likely be envious if you can pull it off siccessfully.

Back
Top Bottom