Steering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3dog

Veteran Member
My upper station steering went out but the lower station works ok and I am just starting to investigate. The wheel just keeps turning and does not stop unlike the lower one that stops after a few rotations. The "boatyarders" told me that it was just low on fluid. Cracked open the return bleeder valve and fluid began to leak out so I retightened. Cracked open the other valve on the top and tried to fill but it would not take any fluid. I tried turning the wheel a little in both directions and could see fluid actually come back up the filler tube. I put the valve back and could not see any evidence of any leak and it does appear that the steering pump is working and has fluid. Anybody have any suggestions? Any info in the mfg, schematic or any other info on your experience would be appreciated.

My upper station steering went out but the lower station works ok and I am just starting to investigate. The wheel just keeps turning and does not stop unlike the lower one that stops after a few rotations. The "boatyarders" told me that it was just low on fluid. Cracked open the return bleeder valve and fluid began to leak out so I retightened. Cracked open the other valve on the top and tried to fill but it would not take any fluid. I tried turning the wheel a little in both directions and could see fluid actually come back up the filler tube. I put the valve back and could not see any evidence of any leak and it does appear that the steering pump is working and has fluid. Anybody have any suggestions? Any info in the mfg, schematic or any other info on your experience would be appreciated.

Year, make and model of boat. Which brand of steering do you have?

Do you have a pressurized oil reservoir below deck (like in the engine room.) with a pressure gauge on top. If so check the oil level sight tube, add oil if needed, reseal reservoir, use a pump to bring the tank up to listed pressure. Then bleed the steering stations starting at the top. Also check your lines all the way back to the ram at the rudders for leaks.

If it's Hynautic steering system. Look at this site for bleeding instructions.

http://boaterstore.com/hyn-purge.html

Last edited:
I do have a tank below deck with a gauge. I will check that next, thanks.

Filled the reservoir pumped it up to 45 psi and it worked like a charm. I found a small leak on one of the lines to the ram and tightened it. Tested it on a long run and all is well.

Excellent. . . Glad that worked for you!!

I had the same thing happen maybe 10 years ago. Funny how something so simple can cause such a dramatic result??

I guess the Forums good for something after all?? LOL

Larry B.

Back
Top Bottom