Old 06-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by robs523 View Post
I called twindisc this morning and they don't recommend it. I guess if I leave the harbor I'll go with the pipe wrench method
The above link to the owners manual says no problem freewheeling...and both my last boat and many delivery boats I have freewheeled twin discs.

Not quite sure why they said that.....

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Sitka, AK
Vessel Name: Magnetic North
Vessel Model: 1985 Californian 34
they said it could overheat and recommended against it. Fortunately I'm in Alaska and not Guam I guess, water's a lot cooler here. Could also just be a CYOA response I suppose

robs523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: chattanooga tn
my mechanic recommends his looper customers run one engine at a time. He says it is safe to run one at a time as long as the speed over ground is 6 kph -6.9mph OVER ground-- not water speed. Says it cuts the fuel usage and extends the maintenance intervals.
obenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by obenton View Post
my mechanic recommends his looper customers run one engine at a time. He says it is safe to run one at a time as long as the speed over ground is 6 kph -6.9mph OVER ground-- not water speed. Says it cuts the fuel usage and extends the maintenance intervals.
Much better on some boats than others.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #25
Guru

City: East Coast
"My mechanic says ............ "

Not all mechanics understand everything, not all mechanics have been to all the manufacturer's schools and not all mechanics words should be applied to every situation. If the equipment manufacturer (in this case) recommends against doing something, that is the advice to follow.

If I understand correctly, this is not a "get home" mission and it's not a trip to a repair facility, it's a pleasure trip. Common sense says don't do it. Don't risk expensive damage to your boat for a pleasure trip that you don't need to take.
WesK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #26
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post

Not all mechanics understand everything, not all mechanics have been to all the manufacturer's schools and not all mechanics words should be applied to every situation. If the equipment manufacturer (in this case) recommends against doing something, that is the advice to follow.

If I understand correctly, this is not a "get home" mission and it's not a trip to a repair facility, it's a pleasure trip. Common sense says don't do it. Don't risk expensive damage to your boat for a pleasure trip that you don't need to take.
Very true. Me, I'd fire that mechanic once I heard that. Either there's more to the story (type of engines/transmissions and boat, among other things) or the guy is a moron. Or both.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post

AMEN BRUTHA!!!! Post of the day right there!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:23 AM   #28

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
If you are running on one engine and have a minor accident with another boat, will your insurance cover you? I doubt it for a twin engine boat that is extremely difficult to handle when running on one engine. Getting home is one thing but leaving the dock by choice is another.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #29
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by obenton View Post
I hope he has a very small looper customer base.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #30
Guru

A whole bunch of ifs....

Investigate them all...as there is no right answer generically, but specifically to your boat, maybe running on one could work out...

Can't say your mechanic is right or wrong without those specifics.

His speed range advice might mean he has thought it all through and is right on in your case...or he is one of many in the marine field that once he heard something and tries to apply it across the board.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:03 PM   #31
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
A whole bunch of ifs....

Investigate them all...as there is no right answer generically, but specifically to your boat, maybe running on one could work out...

Can't say your mechanic is right or wrong without those specifics.

His speed range advice might mean he has thought it all through and is right on in your case...or he is one of many in the marine field that once he heard something and tries to apply it across the board.
His emphasis on SOG, among other things, indicates any semblance of intelligent thought has had little to do with his opinion.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #32

I have Velvet Drive transmissions. The owners manual says the transmissions will not be damaged by operating a twin engine boat at sailing or trolling speeds (under 7kts thru water?). There is no question running a twin engine boat on one engine will halve the routine maintenance expense. The question of fuel savings is another matter. If you run single engine at the same RPM as you would normally run both engines and accept the reduced SOG, you will use probably use slightly more than half as much fuel. If you run single engine and wish to equal twin engine speed, you will have little if any fuel savings. I ran close to 2000 miles of the loop single engine. As far as handling in ICW waters and calm open water, the boat doesn't know, props 2 feet off centerline on a 14.5 foot beam. In rough water and high winds, the ride is much more comfortable with both engines running.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #33
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Same here

There is very little handling difference when the boat is at cruise speed.. Slow speed, close in maneuvering is a different story, both engines running.

40 years ago now, I got in the habit of running on one engine when we cruised with several of my buddies who had single engine Taiwan boats. With both engines running, I was at not much more than a fast idle to avoid running away from them and engine temps were too cold at 140f.

Swapping engines every hour or so kept the engines at operating temp and hour meters equal, plus the boat was much quieter. If we're slow cruising or fishing, we still often run on one engine. I have the original BW Velvet Drives, which have never been out of the boat.

No idea if there is any fuel savings and still do the maintenance the same regardless of hours.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #34
Guru

Whether your mech knows what he is talking about or those here who have input....

It depends..the little info given so far gives no one a lock on good advice for your specific situation.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:36 PM   #35

Knocking could be caused by cylinder wall pitting. Get a bore scope asap.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:07 PM   #36
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
There is an active thread on boat diesel about a fellow who was operating on one engine due to a locked transmission. When transmission repaired the engine would not turn over, water locked and destroyed.
go to that site for details if you are interested.

Also, operating on one engine may present battery issues with the down engine's alternator off line.

So many reason to be careful here, seems hardly worth it to intentionally operate on only one unless you've got the right setup and knowledge.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #37
Guru

City: somewhere
I'm sure the run has or has not been made since this thread started months ago. Hopefully successfully.

The manual that was posted was a generic T.D. manual, not specific to a model. My 506 manual says secure the shaft, do not freewheel.
You need the specific manual to really know.
The O.P. did due diligence by calling and talking to T.D., good for him.

For those that have to secure the shaft a pipe wrench will work but it may have to be mounted upside down. Use several Tyraps to secure the wrench. I would do that regardless even if the wrench sat on top.

I also use a small plywood pad under the handle to protect the hull. Don't really think it's needed but better safe than sorry.

And Sunchaser has a good point that you need to KNOW more than just the gear recommendations. This poor guy backfilled the shutdown engine. Won't know exactly why for a while but it could have been the exhaust system, or the cross connected dripless shaft seals, or, or.

Be CAREFULL.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote