refinishing ribbon mahogany

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edelweiss

Guru
Vessel Make
1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Anyone with a 70's - 80's Californian with ribbon mahogany interior ever refinish any of their woodwork?

I had some water stains around several of my main salon windows which sanded out quite nicely. I'm to the point of deciding on what technique and product(s) to use to get a reasonable match with the rest of the interior wood.

Any experience would be appreciated.

Larry, I haven't but would consider using a matte varnish like Epifanes on the interior mahogany. So far, mine have held up well without effort on my part for 9 years. Not sure if the POs had to do any work on them.

I have some mahogany veneer (not Philippine ribbon mahogany) on my overhead that I treated with thinned Epifanes gloss that I happened to have on hand. It looks good and not too shiny, but it only has a couple light, thinned coats. I think if I built it up to several more coats, it would be too glossy.

Annually I clean and condition my ribbon mahogany with Orange Glo Wood Furniture 2-in-1 Clean & Polish. It leaves a clean, slightly glossy finish on top of the existing thin varnish. We like it....and it smells good, too.

I had a flybridge rail stanchion bolt hole let go during our record wet winter months and leak down through the overhead and down the wall.

Yes, it could be old varnish alright, the way it reacted to being damp. It really didn't damage the wood at all, just picked the finish up and discolored it. Looked very ugly but I was pleasantly surprised how easily it cleaned up with 220 grit paper.

I have another bulkhead that's sun faded. I might do it at the same time if this turns out well. Whatever finish they used didn't penetrate into the wood very deep. I'm not sure what product was applied at the factory.

Yes, I use Orange Glo too.:thumb:

Thanks Al

We just got in a full truck load of 12" and wider African mahogany . There is a lot of ribbon stripe in it . We have to pull out the ribbon stripe
(customer doesn't like ribbon) .:facepalm::confused:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 149
Planning it now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 79
Another pic

Attachments