rear hatch leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aarons6

Vessel Name
Fantasea
Vessel Make
1978 Californian 34 Sedan
my rear hatch leaks when it rains.. mostly because the water pools up in the channel around the seal.

there is a drain, and its not clogged.. the issue is the drain is ineffective because its on the wrong side.

what is the procedure of adding an extra drain? i feel if the drain was in the front, it would not leak..

i just replaced the rubber seal.

here is a pic
48776377391_6184100216_c.jpg

We’ve added an additional drain. I used a flaring tool on a piece of 3/8” by 1.5” copper tubing. I then drilled a hole in the bottom of the channel. I used a counter since to bevel the hole so the flare was flush with the bottom. I attached the “drain” to the channel with epoxy. It was a little trial and error to get the height of the flare right. Then I added some tubing and diverted the water into the bilge.

the water builds up in that front corner.. seems thats where the drain should have been.

the water builds up in that front corner.. seems thats where the drain should have been.

Sometimes abrupt changes in the trim of the boat can do this - when set from the mfgr, the boat might have sat differently.

Also, certainly make sure the existing drain is very clear and clean - sometimes even if it isn't at the lowest point, it will (should) at least absorb overflow from that lowest point.

aaron, Yours looks much like mine. I think the PO added a fwd drain on the stbd side to solve this issue.

We’ve added an additional drain. I used a flaring tool on a piece of 3/8” by 1.5” copper tubing. I then drilled a hole in the bottom of the channel. I used a counter since to bevel the hole so the flare was flush with the bottom. I attached the “drain” to the channel with epoxy. It was a little trial and error to get the height of the flare right. Then I added some tubing and diverted the water into the bilge.

Great solution, Larry. My fwd drain snapped off this summer so I need to replace it. I'll try your technique. I plan to use the largest hose feasible to minimize the clogging I have regularly experienced over the years.

I like your method.

I Tee'd the second drains. 2 of them, one on each side, into the discharge line from the original drain, so rainwater all goes out the transom.

Instead, I would recommend bronze or chrome. Even the new non-destroyable 'plastic' I have have seen them broken which left a hole in the boat until it was replaced. SHRUG Your boat, you do whatever you want.
I could agree if used as a true thru hull but in this case it's a deck drain and worst case the rain water drains into the bilge which its already doing according to the OP???

I had an F32 Trojan that had plastic through hulls above the waterline. I assumed that they were junk and since it was a 1978 vintage boat I was sure they were at the end of life in 2011. I thought I would just smack them with a hammer and they would shatter. Wrong, I could not break them with a hammer no matter how hard I hit them. Finally took a multi tool and cut them off. I was amazed how strong they were and how well they had endured. I still put metal ones in their place though...

Back
Top Bottom