Old 09-22-2019, 12:39 PM   #1

City: Puyallup
Vessel Name: Fantasea
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 34 Sedan
rear hatch leak

my rear hatch leaks when it rains.. mostly because the water pools up in the channel around the seal.

there is a drain, and its not clogged.. the issue is the drain is ineffective because its on the wrong side.

what is the procedure of adding an extra drain? i feel if the drain was in the front, it would not leak..

i just replaced the rubber seal.

here is a pic

aarons6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
We’ve added an additional drain. I used a flaring tool on a piece of 3/8” by 1.5” copper tubing. I then drilled a hole in the bottom of the channel. I used a counter since to bevel the hole so the flare was flush with the bottom. I attached the “drain” to the channel with epoxy. It was a little trial and error to get the height of the flare right. Then I added some tubing and diverted the water into the bilge.

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:34 PM   #3

City: Puyallup
Vessel Name: Fantasea
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 34 Sedan
the water builds up in that front corner.. seems thats where the drain should have been.
aarons6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Vessel Model: Great Harbour N37
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons6 View Post
the water builds up in that front corner.. seems thats where the drain should have been.
Sometimes abrupt changes in the trim of the boat can do this - when set from the mfgr, the boat might have sat differently.

Also, certainly make sure the existing drain is very clear and clean - sometimes even if it isn't at the lowest point, it will (should) at least absorb overflow from that lowest point.
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:20 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
aaron, Yours looks much like mine. I think the PO added a fwd drain on the stbd side to solve this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We’ve added an additional drain. I used a flaring tool on a piece of 3/8” by 1.5” copper tubing. I then drilled a hole in the bottom of the channel. I used a counter since to bevel the hole so the flare was flush with the bottom. I attached the “drain” to the channel with epoxy. It was a little trial and error to get the height of the flare right. Then I added some tubing and diverted the water into the bilge.
Great solution, Larry. My fwd drain snapped off this summer so I need to replace it. I'll try your technique. I plan to use the largest hose feasible to minimize the clogging I have regularly experienced over the years.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #6
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
I like your method.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
You can get flush mount thru hull fittings down to 1/2" not sure if the channel would accommodate one but worth a check

https://www.discountmarinesupplies.c...xoC0vwQAvD_BwE
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:10 PM   #8
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
I Tee'd the second drains. 2 of them, one on each side, into the discharge line from the original drain, so rainwater all goes out the transom.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:54 PM   #9
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
You can get flush mount thru hull fittings down to 1/2" not sure if the channel would accommodate one but worth a check

https://www.discountmarinesupplies.c...xoC0vwQAvD_BwE
Instead, I would recommend bronze or chrome. Even the new non-destroyable 'plastic' I have have seen them broken which left a hole in the boat until it was replaced. SHRUG Your boat, you do whatever you want.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:25 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Instead, I would recommend bronze or chrome. Even the new non-destroyable 'plastic' I have have seen them broken which left a hole in the boat until it was replaced. SHRUG Your boat, you do whatever you want.
I could agree if used as a true thru hull but in this case it's a deck drain and worst case the rain water drains into the bilge which its already doing according to the OP???
Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:59 PM   #11
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I had an F32 Trojan that had plastic through hulls above the waterline. I assumed that they were junk and since it was a 1978 vintage boat I was sure they were at the end of life in 2011. I thought I would just smack them with a hammer and they would shatter. Wrong, I could not break them with a hammer no matter how hard I hit them. Finally took a multi tool and cut them off. I was amazed how strong they were and how well they had endured. I still put metal ones in their place though...

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote