Old 06-23-2017, 11:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: San Pedro
Vessel Name: Dreadnought
Vessel Model: 1981 34' Californian Sport Fisher/Trawler
Re-Power on a single engine 34' sport fisher Californian

I currently have a single 3208 Caterpillar 210hp natural I want to re power it any suggestions on an engine??
Edward14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:55 PM   #2
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I'd go for one of these Beta Marine Canada - Beta 90 but you probably want to heave all that weight onto plane & go fast
Old 06-24-2017, 12:34 AM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
What is your reason for the repower, and performance expectations?

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 12:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
What is your reason for the repower, and performance expectations?

My 3208 is old I just bought the boat and it was setting for a long time without being used I don't want to put a ton of money into re building it if I can re power it for around 40,000 and get better performance I was thinking a 4.5S J.Deere 275 hp it will be used as a fishing vessel / live aboard fuel economy and range are very important maybe if I can achieve 5 gph at 8 knots that would be awesome it's a single I know they did not make many singles most are twins but I wanted a single I'm thinking about getting a marine engineers opinion.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:11 AM   #5
Guru

The 3208 is rated for somewhere in the neighborhood of 30000 gallons of fuel, so old may be a relative term. Hours and maintenance are much more important.

A new common rail engine may certainly give you great economy- but factor in how long it will take to recoup that outlay, especially is the Cat is still operational.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
The 3208 is rated for somewhere in the neighborhood of 30000 gallons of fuel, so old may be a relative term. Hours and maintenance are much more important.

A new common rail engine may certainly give you great economy- but factor in how long it will take to recoup that outlay, especially is the Cat is still operational.

Yeah it is still operational it's got a lot of blow by from the dip stick but and a mechanic at 100 an hour will add up maybe needs to be sleeved? Also needs new alternate, leaking oil from the oil cooler badly I'm noticing a lot of spray paint on the engine so maybe trying to hide more It only has 1,400 hours on it but was not used a lot and I don't think it was taken care of to well and not much history on maintains logs I got it on a low ball offer anticipating the worst for the engine I'm going back in-forth in my head wether to re power or fix my current engine if I can save on fuel as well that is another consideration the specs give much better fuel economy on the Deere and is lighter by about 400 lbs.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:46 AM   #7
Guru

Well, in you have the coin to throw at it- go for it!

Also, toss some punctuation into your post- makes it easier to read

Old 06-24-2017, 01:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Quote:

Right on man, I'm just trying to get other opinions on a good engine to re-power with cool thanks [emoji106]
Old 06-24-2017, 04:45 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:

Don't you mean if you ?
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:54 AM   #10
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
It would make a lot more economic sense to repair or overhaul your Cat than buy a new engine and the cost savings will more than pay for any fuel savings for the rest of your life. At 1400 hours, your Cat should be good for another 6600 hours or so.

How long do you plan to keep the boat? Adding a $40K engine repower won't get you that much on the market when you go to sell. If you get back 20% of your investment you will be lucky.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:11 AM   #11
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Have you had the chance to run the boat and get some performance numbers?

A 34 should "sorta" plane with 200hp, but to do it comfortably you would want an engine rated above that so cruising speed is attained around 70% of engine power, so around 300hp min to cruise at plane.

If you do not intend to plane it, you can go with a lower rated engine, but this will affect resale.

It depends what speeds you want it capable of.

The lowest dollar option would be to have the 3208 pulled and gone through.

3208's normally have a lot of blowby, but it should not be coming out the dipstick. There are blowby regulating valves on rocker covers, if those are not working it could force blowby out other places.

Deere and Cummins have good offerings in the 200-300hp class. Cummins has a reman 210 and I think 270 and 315 available.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #12
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward14 View Post
My 3208 is old I just bought the boat and it was setting for a long time without being used I don't want to put a ton of money into re building it if I can re power it for around 40,000 and get better performance I was thinking a 4.5S J.Deere 275 hp it will be used as a fishing vessel / live aboard fuel economy and range are very important maybe if I can achieve 5 gph at 8 knots that would be awesome it's a single I know they did not make many singles most are twins but I wanted a single I'm thinking about getting a marine engineers opinion.
Drive up to Oxnard and talk to Tony Athens. He is the go to marine engineer on this specific question, having done more repowers in this HP range than anyone on the West Coast.

Part of the question is matching the hull to the motor and drive train. This is well within in Tony's knowledge base.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Drive up to Oxnard and talk to Tony Athens. He is the go to marine engineer on this specific question, having done more repowers in this HP range than anyone on the West Coast.

Part of the question is matching the hull to the motor and drive train. This is well within in Tony's knowledge base.

Ok great thanks I will definitely go see Tony.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Have you had the chance to run the boat and get some performance numbers?

A 34 should "sorta" plane with 200hp, but to do it comfortably you would want an engine rated above that so cruising speed is attained around 70% of engine power, so around 300hp min to cruise at plane.

If you do not intend to plane it, you can go with a lower rated engine, but this will affect resale.

It depends what speeds you want it capable of.

The lowest dollar option would be to have the 3208 pulled and gone through.

3208's normally have a lot of blowby, but it should not be coming out the dipstick. There are blowby regulating valves on rocker covers, if those are not working it could force blowby out other places.

Deere and Cummins have good offerings in the 200-300hp class. Cummins has a reman 210 and I think 270 and 315 available.

Yeah I ran it on the sea trial it did not achieve full rpm at full throttle it got 2600 out of 2800 but there are no gauges to tell me what speed and fuel burn previous owner said it was 12 knots max and 10 at cruise.

I would only need 10 knot max and cruise at 7 or 8 but would be nice to have the option to get on plane.

Thanks,
Old 06-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #15
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
The scary thing about changing engines is it's not just as simple as pulling one out and dropping a new in. You've got transmission, mounts, realignment issues. Plus the while it's out factor. You can easily get out of control and and spend way more than the boat justifies. There's a reason most people rebuild an existing engine. But go talk to Tony he has the knowledge.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
It would make a lot more economic sense to repair or overhaul your Cat than buy a new engine and the cost savings will more than pay for any fuel savings for the rest of your life. At 1400 hours, your Cat should be good for another 6600 hours or so.

How long do you plan to keep the boat? Adding a $40K engine repower won't get you that much on the market when you go to sell. If you get back 20% of your investment you will be lucky.

Just guessing a number to overhaul my 3208 what do you think the cost would be I have yet to get a ball park from a mechanic they just say time and material.

I plan to keep the boat for at least 10 years probably more but yeah I am aware of the re sale it don't really bother me none my boat will be a tough resell.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
The scary thing about changing engines is it's not just as simple as pulling one out and dropping a new in. You've got transmission, mounts, realignment issues. Plus the while it's out factor. You can easily get out of control and and spend way more than the boat justifies. There's a reason most people rebuild an existing engine. But go talk to Tony he has the knowledge.

Yeah you are right but I would definitely be changing out the transmission and any other parts that need to be changed but I definitely want an engineer to help out with it if I do a re power, my boat is in San Diego at the moment do you know any diesel mechanics out here I have talked to two and they seem to think it should be re powered maybe just because it's easier for them.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
I currently have a single 3208 Caterpillar 210hp natural I want to re power it any suggestions on an engine??

Anyone know a good Diesel mechanic in San Diego California??
Old 06-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #19
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
There is a shop on east coast in MD (T&S) that is the go-to place for local 3208's. Take them the engine, they go through it, pick it up a couple weeks later and they even give a warranty. I have asked them for verbal quotes on high hp turbo 3208s and it ranged from $10-20k depending on what was wrong with it.

There may be a similar shop on the west coast. But palletized shipping is really not that expensive.

Another option is to get a 3208 turbo 375. Easier fit than changing brands.

Whether the engine is 210 or 375hp, burn rate will be the same if boat speed is the same.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #20
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Just guessing a number to overhaul my 3208 what do you think the cost would be I have yet to get a ball park from a mechanic they just say time and material.

I plan to keep the boat for at least 10 years probably more but yeah I am aware of the re sale it don't really bother me none my boat will be a tough resell.
In reading your issues, they just don't give the impression the Cat is in that bad of shape but Ski would know much better than I. For a ball park estimate, maybe under $10K and it will serve you well for the 10 years you plan to own the boat if maintained properly. The mechanic won't know until he starts digging into it what needs to be done and what it will cost. He should be able to give you an estimate for a complete overhaul but it sounds like they don't think it is necessary to go that far. 1400 hours is not a lot of hours but sitting unused for extended periods of time will require some things such as gaskets, hoses and the like.