Old 01-18-2016, 09:57 PM   #81
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Reminds me of a story. We loaded up a buddy's boat(Boomerang...which is now owned by a TFmember) with all of us and our women with the intent of making it to a particular restaurant/bar in a shallow bay(Dickinson Bay). Well...we got stuck. We were kind of expecting it. As we sat there we were trying to figure out our strategy to get the boat to float again. Well we figured there was a bunch of people on board and if we got some people out of the boat then it might float. Ironically, it was all of the girls that got out of the boat first....and the boat floated!!!!! Although all of the boys looked at each other with a smirk...and the girls noticed.... not a word was said!!!!!
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:20 PM   #82
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Is it possible to run the AICW without running aground? Yes. It's also possible to win the Powerball. I suggest that those of you that think running aground is not an accident, try the AICW.

The odds of making it up or down the ICW without running aground are not quite that high.

A great many of those that touch bottom are either out of the channel, even though they will swear they were not, or not playing the tides as they should.

So for the most part Eric is right. Running aground is rarely a true accident. Even on the ICW.

But there are of course exceptions. Like how the ICW near Haulover Inlet in Miami had an unmarked hazard right in the channel. But after a certain point it was pretty common knowledge it was there. So I guess you could say hitting after that was no longer as much of an accident.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:26 PM   #83
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
Is that the Skipper and Gilligan in front of the bow?

Later,
Dan
Good eye.

They were very happy to see us after all those years. And luckily for me, the years had been kind to Mary Ann and Ginger.
Old 01-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #84
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Beaching a boat is pretty hard on the bottom paint and gelcoat. OK for smaller trailer boats but I would never intentionally do it to my trawler. Beaching also puts the time of departure in nature's hands, not yours.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #85
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
Reminds me of a story. We loaded up a buddy's boat(Boomerang...which is now owned by a TFmember) with all of us and our women with the intent of making it to a particular restaurant/bar in a shallow bay(Dickinson Bay). Well...we got stuck. We were kind of expecting it. As we sat there we were trying to figure out our strategy to get the boat to float again. Well we figured there was a bunch of people on board and if we got some people out of the boat then it might float. Ironically, it was all of the girls that got out of the boat first....and the boat floated!!!!! Although all of the boys looked at each other with a smirk...and the girls noticed.... not a word was said!!!!!
That is funny! Any photos?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:01 AM   #86
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Beaching a boat is pretty hard on the bottom paint and gelcoat. OK for smaller trailer boats but I would never intentionally do it to my trawler. Beaching also puts the time of departure in nature's hands, not yours.
Not if you know how to play the cards!
Old 01-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #87
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Beaching is really not a big deal if you know the pitfalls...even bottom paint survives unless you REALLY wallow in sand or plow through it.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #88
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Beaching is really not a big deal if you know the pitfalls...even bottom paint survives unless you REALLY wallow in sand or plow through it.
What are the reasons for beaching vs. anchoring and using one's dinghy to get to shore?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #89
Veteran Member

City: Louisville, KY
Vessel Name: Jessie
Vessel Model: 43' Marine Trader 49' Albin Tricabin
Cuttyhunk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:45 AM   #90
Guru

City: Hill Country TX/S.Portland Maine
Vessel Name: bout’ time
Vessel Model: Grady White 282 Sailfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Is it possible to run the AICW without running aground? Yes. It's also possible to win the Powerball. I suggest that those of you that think running aground is not an accident, try the AICW.
Was that your boat tied to the dock for a few days at Great Bay Marina?
Old 01-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #91
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk47 View Post

Nice way to keep the bottom clean. In Alaska there still a few places you can dock your boat over a frame. When the tide goes out, you have access to the bottom, until the next tide.....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #92
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Many more than a few in SE. Basically every town and city has one .. or several.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:46 PM   #93
Art
Guru

Quote:
Correctopeal!!
Old 01-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #94
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
What are the reasons for beaching vs. anchoring and using one's dinghy to get to shore?
All depends where you are, what you look to do, and how well you can handle the attributes and/or downfalls of beaching. Much needs to be taken into consideration. YRMV
Old 01-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
All depends where you are, what you look to do, and how well you can handle the attributes and/or downfalls of beaching. Much needs to be taken into consideration. YRMV
Just curious and so was asking those who do beach, why? Trying to understand that which I don't currently.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:15 PM   #96
Art
Guru

Quote:
Just curious and so was asking those who do beach, why? Trying to understand that which I don't currently.
B - Please refer to my post #42. - Art
Old 01-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #97
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Easier than anchoring in the right conditions.... but you do have to have the right boat, being able to stand and walk around your boat, being able to leverage against the bottom to work on your boats bottom, your dingy is missing or unusable, you are on fire or sinking

In the assistance boat I would say I nosed into the bank 50 -100 times for every time I dropped an anchor to hold position. 26 foot, full keeled inboard.

Very comfy doing it with the towboat....right conditions and I may try with the trawler.

What you generally don't want is high, rude traffic volume ...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #98
Guru

Quote:
Easier than anchoring in the right conditions.... but you do have to have the right boat, being able to stand and walk around your boat, being able to leverage against the bottom to work on your boats bottom, your dingy is missing or unusable, you are on fire or sinking

In the assistance boat I would say I nosed into the bank 50 -100 times for every time I dropped an anchor to hold position. 26 foot, full keeled inboard.

Very comfy doing it with the towboat....right conditions and I may try with the trawler.

What you generally don't want is high, rude traffic volume ...
Thanks. Makes sense in the assistance boat. Most of the towboats are designed well for it and you don't intend to stay long. On the lake, pontoons did it a lot and I've seen catamarans do it frequently in the Bahamas. Obviously on fire or sinking you're not going to take time to anchor. Also, in center consoles with outboards it's easy. We do it with our RIB's frequently.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:15 PM   #99
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
B - Please refer to my post #42. - Art
I read #42. Told me what you did but I didn't quite grasp why instead of just anchoring. It seemed like just as much work but perhaps seems more in writing than in person.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:02 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Sometimes it's just for the fun of it. And it makes for a neat photo op.