Old 01-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #41
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu-L View Post
I recently had the misfortune of running my 34' Californian up on the beach. No hull damage, but damaged both props, struts, shafts and rudders. I am working with my insurance.

Would like to get a rough idea of cost. Any one had to replace the things I mentioned above?
The price could vary dramatically and your biggest concern needs to be to make sure everything needed is done. The examination of the shafts and struts will have to be very thorough and include very careful gauging.

The worst thing that could happen to you now is to get it repaired less than perfect, settle, then find out six months later the alignment isn't right or one item not replaced should have been. Make sure your claim is kept open for you to have a reasonable time to check it out and use it.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:24 AM   #42
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
For many years - At infinitesimally slow speed (.01 knots)I often purposely run the nose of our Tolly firmly-aground up and onto the relatively soft, wet, yet well rooted and stable edges of small islands in SF Delta. Once nose touches ground I throttle up to raise nose onto island edge to the point that current/wind at that moment (in any direction) will not dislodge boat. Due to some Delta's islands steep drop-off at their edges in sloughs/channels 90 degree angle to the islands with nose firmly aground leaves rear 2/3 of boat in clear water of good depth.

Then I fling a light weight aluminum Viking anchor and line out at bow rail into islands weed and small tree growth (I get about a 40' toss accomplished). I make sure with windless that the flung anchor is well adhered to island growth.

Then I take our runabout and go out off transom some 250' across slough with a Fortress FX-23 aluminum anchor (set at 45 degree shank to fluke with 15' chain to 5/8 line) with my wife feeding line as I go and we drop rear anchor into the Delta's soft mud bottom. We slowly pull Fortress back toward boat until it firmly sets.

Then I go to bow and leave enough line to the front anchor on island so that boat's nose can be backed just a bit off island edge and into deeper water (so that the 4' +/- tide level change is no problem). I do this by starting engines. As I slowly back off island edge my Admiral pulls in rear anchor's then becoming slack line and when I have forward anchor's line fairly taught she fastens the rear anchor's line to our starboard transom cleat.

And a swimming we do go! Perfect for days of party relaxation/enjoyment and running around in our cute, fast Crestliner runabout.

This anchor-out technique is not for everyone and you must know how to read any island's edge to know if this technique will work in that location. Incorrectly attempted there are many bad items that could occur while performing the actions as well as can occur when sleeping, or during tide changes, or because of winds. I've seen some try and fail with damage to their boats and equipment. YRMV

I am always watching the depth sounder wherever I go that I feel water depth may become less than 10' deep under my keel. "So far" in decades of boating, I have never run aground - unless I wanted to!

Happy Anchor-Out Daze! - Art

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #43
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
................. I am always watching the depth sounder wherever I go that I feel water depth may become less than 10' deep under my keel. ............
Those of us who boat on the AICW don't have that luxury. I set the warning alert on my plotter to 5' and it sounds off frequently, especially at low tide. At least the bottom is mostly soft mud.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #44
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Those of us who boat on the AICW don't have that luxury. I set the warning alert on my plotter to 5' and it sounds off frequently, especially at low tide. At least the bottom is mostly soft mud.
Wes - I keep my sounder at 3' warning signal, which gives me approx. 2 feet under keel from where transducer is. Having already been keeping close eye on depth sounder readings since the 10' depth was reached, at the sound of a warning ring (already going very slow) I immediately stop all forward motion and survey my options. Backing out has successfully been done many times (I love having twins). I'm not saying I will never make mistake and inadvertently run aground... just saying I haven't to date.
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:57 PM   #45
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Art,

Should you ever run the AICW, you will ruin your record. Just sayin'
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #46
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I'm supprised an insurance company would pay for damages from running aground.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:59 PM   #47
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
They pay for you backing your car into a vertical barrier..

There's a difference?

Unless you were TRYING to go aground and happen to mention it to the adjuster.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #48
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I'm supprised an insurance company would pay for damages from running aground.
Why? It's an accident. That's what they pay for. Probably their leading cause in terms of number of claims.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #49
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Accident?

With all the nav tools we have GPS, charts, depth sounders ect I see it as just plain not pay'in attention. In other words negligence. Just like talk'in on a cell phone and running into a ferry. Not pay'in attention.

It reminds me of a TV add where someone is standing in front of the statue of Liberty complaining that their insurance co wont pay them what they paid for their new car. I'm an old man and I think your thoughts of what's right and wrong is seriously mucked up. The insurance co paying for the value of the car at the time of the accident is 100% right and anything else is wrong. Perhaps there's been too many Democrats and "bennies" under the bridge. Everybody thinks somebody or some co or the government is responsible to take care of them. What dings me off is that if I have any insurance policies that cover such "accidents" I'm the one pay'in for it.

Have I run aground? Yes. But there was no damage.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #50
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I've run aground five times over the decades; always on a rising tide and without damage! Feels like someone is looking out for me.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:04 PM   #51
Guru

Imagine what the cost of repair if the OP had IPS drives and one or more disconnected and was not retrieved. As bad as repair to props and shafts are probably a lot cheaper than IPS and a lot more yards can handle it.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #52
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
,,, What dings me off is that if I have any insurance policies that cover such "accidents" I'm the one pay'in for it.

Have I run aground? Yes. But there was no damage.
My insurance companies have made tens of thousands of dollars from me, at least so far. Currently, medical insurance under Medicare (costing more than I was working) plus supplemental health insurance, costs much more than housing (small condominium).
Old 01-16-2016, 07:10 PM   #53
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Today heard of a sailboat that got stuck in the middle of a channel that is reported to be maintained 6 inches deeper than the draft of the boat.

Accident or negligence?

Let's hear it everyone.......

My vote... accident....

PS...Don't worry OP....never heard of insurance not paying out on a simple grounding...and working for Sea Tow...I know of a few (hundred)...

.....despite the negative waves being posted.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:23 PM   #54
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
There is a saying "If you haven't been agound you haven't been around."
Ha ha!....Sometimes stuff just happens.....(long story)..

Old 01-16-2016, 07:27 PM   #55
Master and Commander

There's something good to say for single-shafts protected by a keel!

So far, all my groundings were with sailboats with keels.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:07 PM   #56

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Name: Howdy
Vessel Model: 52' North Pacific
I've run aground 5 times in one day but that is in my 24' outboard boat in Galveston Bay, Port O'Connor, Matagorda Bay in Texas.

I have 2 to 4 people aboard and we drink a beer until the tide is most advantageous and "drag it off".

won't work so well with the "Big Boat".
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:08 PM   #57

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Name: Howdy
Vessel Model: 52' North Pacific
MarkPierce...You have a nice looking Bottom!
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #58
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
MarkPierce...You have a nice looking Bottom!
I like bottoms.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:18 PM   #59

City: Vancouver BC
Spanish Banks/English Bay seems to catch lots of people off guard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beached boat.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	48174  
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:04 PM   #60
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
On my last good grounding, in my twin engine Krogen trawler, just into the bay at Panama City Fl. I was really stuck in the sand/mud bottom. Falling tide. Looked like we would be there awhile. Tried Kedging back sideways, no help. Then I saw a big sporty coming in the pass going slow. I called him on the VHF and told him my predicament and asked if he would give me the biggest wake he could muster. He answered in the affirmative, even seemed to be happy to oblige. He was rollin when he came close, then we saw the black smoke roll, the cockpit went below water level and the wake was BIG. I was full throttle in reverse when it hit and picked us up about 3 feet. We shot (relative term) backwards out into the channell. Unstuck. I bought them a beer at Capt. Andrews that evening.

kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote