Old 08-12-2015, 03:45 PM   #21

City: southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu-L View Post
Yes it was.
Small world. I was there. I was the short guy in the surf wearing shorts (as opposed to the tall guy in the wetsuit.) I'm glad the damage was limited. She's a beautiful boat. It would take both my hands to count the boats I've been to that end up on that stretch of sand.

We were wondering where she was towed to. We did a drive by check of the yards next shift, but didn't see her.

I hope you get her fixed quickly and with a minimum of insurance related drama. The wife (and I kicking and screaming) are looking to make the jump from sail to power, and we really like a 34' Californian we saw.

questionmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
My goal is to transit the ICW from Stuart FL to Westport CT or the reverse without touching bottom. This year I made it all the way from Stuart to Cape May NJ without touching bottom. Then my sounder quit exiting the Cape May Canal and I touched bottom. Damn! Almost made it all the way. Sh*#t. Well, maybe this year.

Howard

I touched (we draw 7') at the bay end of the canal at low tide on the way up north this trip. As I was coming in the canal by the jetties the ferry backed out into the channel and blocked it. While I was waiting for it to pivot and move out of the way the tide pushed me on to the shallows that the ferries wash have built up there.

No damage to the props.

Basically, if you don't touch bottom running around in the ICW or say the Bahamas once in a while, you're either lying or sitting at home on the computer talking about boating but not really doing any.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:03 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I touched (we draw 7') at the bay end of the canal at low tide on the way up north this trip. As I was coming in the canal by the jetties the ferry backed out into the channel and blocked it. While I was waiting for it to pivot and move out of the way the tide pushed me on to the shallows that the ferries wash have built up there.

No damage to the props.

Basically, if you don't touch bottom running around in the ICW or say the Bahamas once in a while, you're either lying or sitting at home on the computer talking about boating but not really doing any.
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:04 PM   #24
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Bad place behind those ferries....even the ferries have grounded there.

One actually paid for assistance a few years back...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #25
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Well, I'm feeling much better now.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:37 PM   #26

City: Erie PA
Vessel Name: Endless Endeavor
Vessel Model: Custom
A little grounding here and there keeps the keel clean. It only bother me when I don't expect it.
funangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:55 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by funangler View Post
A little grounding here and there keeps the keel clean. It only bother me when I don't expect it.
A kind of involuntary "careening"? Give the hull a good scrub while you have somewhere to stand.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #28
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
I ran aground many years ago entering a harbor in the San Juans. We were on a GB 32 that we had chartered. It was a classic nose the bow onto a mud bank; no damage to anything.

We were at low tide and I figured when the tide started coming in that would pinwheel the boat as it floated it. I dinghied an anchor out about 100' behind the boat and set it in the 1' of water, then snugged the line and waited for the tide.

While we waited we were looking overboard and noticed a LOT of crabs. We dropped our crab pot and had more crabs than we expected. I don't recall the number but we probably caught 15 of them before the tide floated us off the mud.

We cooked the crabs then pulled in the anchor then motored out. That turned out to be one of the most memorable afternoons of the whole trip.

Not all groundings are bad groundings!
Old 08-13-2015, 04:31 PM   #29
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
I have a running aground story that will make me look stupid...

I had gotten towed in the day before with transmission problems and had hell getting anyone to come get me. Four hours later a little dive boat pulled me about 7 miles to a fuel dock, and I was able to repair the trans during the night and the next morning was ready to go again.

So I'm put-putting along, out in the absolute middle of nowhere again on the Louisiana GCICW, when I suddenly became annoyed with the sideways boat icon on my Garmin plotter. It had been like this for days, but I was bored and in an area of the channel that had a little wide section off to the side, and no barges were around, so I decided to "recalibrate" my compass heading on the autopilot to match up with my Garmin icon.

This involves making two large circles going around 2 knots. The first circle was fine, but the second circle I drifted off too far into the wide (shallow) section and promptly stuck the keel in the mud with a soft thud. Tried to back off. No joy. I shut the engine down and just sat there for a long while doing nothing-- I was stunned at my stupidity.

Finally I saw a barge coming, so I radioed the push boat and told him why I was sitting at the edge of the channel at such an odd angle. He kind of chuckled and said he would give me a faster pass than normal to see it that would help dislodge me, and that actually worked.

As I straightened up into the middle of the channel I noticed my little boat icon was aligned straight with my heading.

😁
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:52 PM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Not sure anyone's gounding story makes them look like much else....it's the ending of the story and the fact that many but not all of us admits to having grounded that really tells the story...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:03 PM   #31
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
As for a cost idea - we ran aground in the Hudson in May and pretty badly crinkled both 24" props, but not so badly that they couldn't be repaired. About $800 for the repair and rebalance. They would have been about $1300 each new. Luckily that was the extent of the damage.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:22 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu-L View Post
Yes it was.
my old saying was"When in doubt stop and look about"
capt jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #33
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
I am waiting for my turn. There are those who have run aground and those who will in the future!
Same here... knock on wood. At least not in my own boat. I have run aground several times aboard ship. Thankfully none of those has been my fault (yet.) The most memorable one was about 6 years ago. We were in the south east corner of Lake Michigan, trying to get into port ahead of some weather. Well, as it turned out there was some shoaling at the entrance, and we bumped into it and couldn't get ourselves free. The forecasted NW gale promptly started whistling, and with a couple hundred miles of fetch, the seas started stacking up pretty quickly. We found ourselves turned 90 degrees, now parallel to the shoreline, with the seas on our weather beam, beached. It's a hell of a thing when you can feel a 620 foot ship bumping against the bottom repeatedly. I remember looking at the piers, wondering if I'd have to swim for it. We tried calling for tugs, but there weren't many around big enough to make a difference. A few came out anyway, and got tossed pretty bad in the seas. We wiggled and fought for hours, and eventually were able to break free. It was an interesting night.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
You are not fully aground until you run out of rum!!!!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:39 PM   #35
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker View Post
You are not fully aground until you run out of rum!!!!

Baker, I like your style.
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #36
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Three weeks ago, SeaTow arrived to tow a disabled boat out of our YC. After being underway for about 15 minutes, the tow boat ran the towed boat aground.

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:24 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Louisville, KY
Vessel Name: Jessie
Vessel Model: 43' Marine Trader 49' Albin Tricabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
My goal is to transit the ICW from Stuart FL to Westport CT or the reverse without touching bottom. This year I made it all the way from Stuart to Cape May NJ without touching bottom. Then my sounder quit exiting the Cape May Canal and I touched bottom. Damn! Almost made it all the way. Sh*#t. Well, maybe this year.

Howard
He who does not stumble, does not walk. On the ICW, if you haven't gone aground, you haven't cruised. Cape May Canal is only one of a hundred (maybe a thousand) places where tide and wind and skinny water can reach up and grab you.

I once closely followed a tug into the Cape May Canal from the Delaware River and had the tug not dug a couple extra feet of depth, I would have been high and dry. His props were actually kicking up rocks and mud for about 100 yards which allowed me to churn through thick soup into the harbor.
Cuttyhunk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:52 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk47 View Post
I once closely followed a tug into the Cape May Canal from the Delaware River and had the tug not dug a couple extra feet of depth, I would have been high and dry. His props were actually kicking up rocks and mud for about 100 yards which allowed me to churn through thick soup into the harbor.
Now THAT'S good timing!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:35 AM   #39
Guru

How bout running ashore but not aground

This happened to me last summer up the Wye River on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake. The shore of the creek is lined with fallen trees and branches. We anchored in a wide spot of the creek that gave us some swing room and I set out 100 ft or so of scope in 10 ft of a mud bottom.
As forecast a thunderstom came upon us as 3am and the anchor didn't hold and the wind blew us ashore. The branches along the shore kept the boat from running aground. We were lucky that we hit a spot well protected with branches and the high winds, estimated to be 50 kts were short lived. No damage to the boat save some bottom paint on the branches.

A 36' Tollycraft further up the river also drug his anchor during the Tstorm. In conversations with him the next morning he said in 40 yrs of boating this was the first time his anchor dragged. He was also lucky, he blew back parallel to the creek bank and his anchor reset.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:54 AM   #40
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
There is a saying "If you haven't been agound you haven't been around."

I have hit bottom a few times, usually at slow speed but once at 7 knots. My wife was at the helm but the depth sounder was acting up and not working at the time. I was able to back off and go on my way every time.

My prop is protected by a keel and a skeg.

As for the OP's request for a repair quote, it's impossible to provide an estimate without knowing the exact damage. And if it's covered by insurance, it doesn't really matter. If you have a $1K deductible, you better count on paying that.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote