Old 01-27-2015, 05:41 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Victoria
Awww now your talkin. I'm thinking I'll need a drink after that run. And what a perfect place to stop. Thanks Edelwiess

Deanooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
Deanooo, I can totally relate to your sentiments concerning the Californians. You will love the boat! Members here have a wealth of knowledge that is a great resource for us newer owners.
BTW I just spoke with Peninsula Glass concerning aft cabin windows that are on the agenda this spring. They typically have an 8 week lead time. I plan to remove the windows and template my openings while the rail and stantions are off for cap rail work. Look forward to following your progress.

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:10 AM   #23
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Just a thought, some years ago when boat shopping I found several Tolly 44s in the Portland area that were boathouse kept and prettY nice. A Tolly 44 that has 3208s or had a new set of Cummins 5.9s installed worth a look IMHO.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:42 AM   #24
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanooo View Post
Awww now your talkin. I'm thinking I'll need a drink after that run. And what a perfect place to stop. Thanks Edelwiess
You are really lucky living there, I really enjoyed our many trips to Victoria and that whole scene. Where else in the PNW can you tie up right downtown in front of an icon like that, adjacent to the provincial Parliament and so much history? What a great place to have a boat!! I don't envy having to use the ferries to get to the mainland though!! Maple Bay is nice too, a little less touristy with good access to downtown.

PS: If you can get the windows done while you're there, that will save you some time and money. They charged me to build the wood shipping container, like $60 US, and shipping was several hundred dollars to Anacortes by truck. They won't go UPS!!
Old 01-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Well, I got the initial engine survey back and it ain't pretty. Without going into too much detail looks like 10-20000 work. If anyone is interested in seeing the survey I would gladly PM it to you. Interesting but seriously disappointing. I will hang my head for a day and continue the hunt.
Sunchaser. I was very close to completing a deal on a Tolley but backed out. Beautiful shape but not the boat for me. It had gas engines that were in great shape but I have my mind on a trawler.
For those who are in the portland area. I just want to give a tip of my hat to Dale Price. He was at the boat within a 24 hrs and was very helpful with an initial comprehensive report the next day. I also had a gentleman by the name of Dave Hoss who gave me an very resonable estimate on canvas within 24 hours of calling him. Superior Tops. I cannot speak about the quality of his work but he did come recommended and he was professional and friendly. I never got a chance to use Alison but did have a lengthy conversion with her. She was everything you all claimed her to be. If anyone wants to know my opinion on other players, I will do that in a PM. Or if you want to know the specific boat. But I'm sure you all can figure that out by now.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and your advice.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #26
Guru

That's a shame!! And the seller is not willing to negotiate the repairs?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:03 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edelweiss View Post
That's a shame!! And the seller is not willing to negotiate the repairs?
Haven't got to that yet. We will see. The seller will have to eventually do the repairs or he will be eating it. I'm not sure if there is enough equity in the boat to do it. My estimate on cost is exactly that..... Could be more. It can be fixed.
Rough start considering I haven't had a survey on the rest of the vessel. That's what was keeping me up at night. And the oil samples haven't come back yet. Yikes.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:46 PM   #28
Veteran Member

No more fear. Just loathing. Shake it off damn it. In a pub Californian Dreaming.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:09 PM   #29
Guru

Best surveying the likely weaker side first, be it mechanical or general, you have the option to cancel the other part before incurring the cost.
Don`t be too disappointed, you`ll kiss some toads before you find a Princess. Good luck.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:03 PM   #30

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
Sorry to hear about the boat Deanooo, That boat is in row 1, I'm on row 2. Did you have Dale Price do the survey?
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 10:04 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TONTOROSS View Post
Sorry to hear about the boat Deanooo, That boat is in row 1, I'm on row 2. Did you have Dale Price do the survey?
Yes dale was great. I'm still in discussions. We'll see what happens. Thanks for your concern. Sounds like there's a few from the area who cruise this site. That's awesome.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Best surveying the likely weaker side first, be it mechanical or general, you have the option to cancel the other part before incurring the cost.
Don`t be too disappointed, you`ll kiss some toads before you find a Princess. Good luck.
I've kissed a lot of friggin toad Bruce. Starting to think I have thing for them.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:24 PM   #33
TG

City: Oceanside, CA
Vessel Name: Tera Grace
Vessel Model: Californian 42 LRC
The one downside to the 42 is getting an engine out is a difficult proposition. It's not like a sportfisher where you can hoist it out, set it on the back deck and lift it off with a crane. The upside is the engine room is quite spacious if you need to dissassemble one or two.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:21 PM   #34
Guru

You should have been there to see us dismantling the helm side cabin door frame to get the new Norcold fridge in!! We also had to dismount the fridge doors, trim and compressor. One person held the compressor, that was still attached by it's lines, while the rest of us slid the fridge through the opening with less than 1/2" clearance. The only other option was remove the port side windshield glass and slide it through!!
Old 02-06-2015, 04:34 AM   #35
Sam

City: Kalama, WA
Vessel Name: "Restitution"
Vessel Model: 38' Californian
I'm familiar with the boat Deanooo. Excellent price initially. I toured it. The owner is Romanian? I was thinking about upgrading in size from my 38'. I decided against it when I saw that the previous owner had applied gloss polyeurthane on the entire interior, including Formica counters and metal fixtures! I also saw a lot of rust throughout mounts and components in the engine room. Not to mention the holes in the deck. I ran. There are better deals out there for sure. Good luck. You will find one soon! I've been thinking about searching for a sedan type trawler. If I do, would you be interested in an updated, clean and seaworthy 38? I would enjoy seeing the survey for that boat.

Edelweiss, is the 42 beam a bit wider than the 38? Are the hull characteristics the same? Where are you located out of?
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:06 AM   #36
Sam

City: Kalama, WA
Vessel Name: "Restitution"
Vessel Model: 38' Californian
If dave hoss from superior tops is from Longview, he does excellent work. He installed Bimini for me, inclusive of stainless. I suggest that you go with his higher end stainless fixtures if you use him. Well worth the few extra dollars. Good luck.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
If dave hoss from superior tops is from Longview, he does excellent work. He installed Bimini for me, inclusive of stainless. I suggest that you go with his higher end stainless fixtures if you use him. Well worth the few extra dollars. Good luck.
I have him lined up. Thanks for the conformation of his work. As I said he was recommended and he delivered an estimate within 24 hours. Unfortunately the deal for that boat is going quickly south. I will be sure to use Dave if things change.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Edelweiss, is the 42 beam a bit wider than the 38? Are the hull characteristics the same? Where are you located out of?
I believe they are the same beam on the 37', 38' and 42'. 13' 6" or 8" whatever the official measure is! (My marina measured up my boat and determined it's 45' X 14' overall, including skiff and bow pulpit and moved me into a 46' slip instead of my 42') Marshall added 4 feet to the hull between the aft and forward salon bulkheads. The salon has one more window, an additional portside door and flybridge deck is 4' longer To my knowledge everything else is the same.