Old 08-25-2015, 10:14 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I, Eric said;
"I think all the hardware fastenings all are secured w four screws. The screws are quite long and thus is the saving grace. The screws came right out. No backing plates were seen or heard falling. It's possible Willard actually tapped threads into the holes through the considerable amount of FG ... perhaps 2" or more. That amount would be equal to at least two hull thicknesses of FG plus probably some FG matt in between. Or even wood. Saw no sign of that though."

Al, my screws holding the deck hardware on are machine screws .. not wood screws.
All other W30 owners take note as your Willard is probably the same. Don't consider this a good thing or a bad thing ... seems plenty strong enough though. Very much better than what Al found.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:42 AM   #22
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Eric,
Possibly nuts glassed into the sub- surface.

Ted

Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:48 AM   #23
Guru

That`s the cleats fixed, now for the shirt buttons popped over winter.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:43 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Eric said;
"I think all the hardware fastenings all are secured w four screws. The screws are quite long and thus is the saving grace. The screws came right out. No backing plates were seen or heard falling.......Al, my screws holding the deck hardware on are machine screws .. not wood screws....Don't consider this a good thing or a bad thing ... seems plenty strong enough though. Very much better than what Al found.
__

I'm with Eric here. That's how my cleats are mounted also - no backing plate, but 4 large stainless (originally bronze) 2' screws going right through the capping rail, which on CHBs is ~ 6' wide and ~ 2' thick, so pretty substantial teak.

My port quarter cleat popped out the other day when I put her in forward, & slowly up to fast idle, (as I have often done), to run her up to operating temp under some load at the dock because we are not getting out in her much now she is on the market. It felt quite weird when the stern suddenly swung out, tethered by the spring and other lines fortunately, and there was the cleat drooping in the water still attached to the line. I felt a bit silly, I tell you. I later found I had set the line tensions so most of the forward thrust went on just that cleat - now altered to spread to bow, spring and stern lines.

I then found 2 of the 4 screws has been broken off before and the holes just plugged by the PO. So no real mystery there, other than how it had lasted so long. That jury fix lasted over 12 years, so I guess I can't complain. I hardly need to say she is now back on with 4 very stout stainless screws. But that arrangement seems sturdy enough, and there is absolutely no way of getting in there to place a backing plate or bolt nuts, so screws will have to do..!
Old 09-03-2015, 07:30 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Thanks Parks! I got the new cleats today. They look like they'll be perfect.

I had the chance to remove one of the ER vents and found that it provides me great access to the cleats for proper backing. I may end up using SS fender washers rather than fashioning backing plates due to the tight quarters. I doubt there would be much difference in total area when it's all said and done.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #26
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Eric, Willard was a defense contractor. I am betting that metal backing plates were drilled, tapped and glassed in----thus the machine screws.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:44 PM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Don and Ted perhaps that is the case. I worked at Uniflite w the Navy boats subject to mill-specs but I don't remember if they did that. Just FG or inserted nuts it seems solid but I'm not ready to test to destruction.

Al I'd consider 3 or 4 fender washers as they are quite thin. Will the spacing of the bolts permit fender washers?

Peter I'm glad ya got that one sorted out.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:40 PM   #28
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Al glad you like them. Like Eric suggested you might want to stack a couple of the washers for thickness. If the fender washers want to overlap you can grind one side so they will sit flat.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #29
TF Site Team

Thanks guys. The cleats will accommodate 1 1/4 in fender washers without the need for trimming. Thanks for the suggestion to stack 'en. I'll stack 2 or 3 for strength.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #30
chc

City: Essex, MD
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Al
I cut an inspection plate hole for a 6in screw-in plate under the cleat & fitted a backing plate. tight & some nasty glass ends in there, but it solved the problem.
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #31
TF Site Team

Thanks, CHC! I got in there last weekend through the ER vents and can confirm the 'nasty glass ends"! I had to drape a towel over my forearm to reach up there with the hardware and tools. It required a bit on ingenuity to make it work, but I pulled it off. It sure was tight quarters!

I found that I needed to:

1. Scotch Tape 3 washers together

2. Load socket with fiberlock nut

3. Scotch Tape washer set to top of socket, aligned with the nut in the center

4. Play touchy-feely with the end of the machine screw to mate the pair.

5. Tighten until you have no more. Then take a break and come back for more! Repeat as necessary until completely tight.

By the end of the day, I was totally spent. I only had the time and energy for the amidship cleats. I'll have to tackle the stern cleats another time.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #32

City: WestSacramento,ca
How was the cruise from Sac to Angel Island? I've done it many times (not in this boat), but looking to plan the trip soon.
Cessnaflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:00 PM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
For the benefit of others: Angel Island offers lots of history and good views and is definitely worth the visit. Be prepared for rough seas in eastern Suisun and San Pablo bays when strong wind and current conflict. There is a protocol for mooring. Google the island's website.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #34

Thanks Mark! I appreciate it. I've been making the runs for several years, last with a Coast Guard 82' and 125'. I know the run well - just haven't done it in this boat yet. Starting to see our share of hyacinth pop up in the delta.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:34 PM   #35
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessnaflyr View Post
How was the cruise from Sac to Angel Island? I've done it many times (not in this boat), but looking to plan the trip soon.
I like to time it with the tide to help my speed, but as Mark mentioned, if the SW wind kicks up on the ebb tide, the ride can get more rough and wet. No problems with your boat!

It's just a long run! I've never done the whole trip since I used to keep my boat at Riverboat Marina (about a 7 hr run) and am now in Vallejo Muni Marina (about a 2.5 hr run). Once you pass Isleton, you'll be ~50 NM from AI.

Old 09-21-2015, 07:47 PM   #36
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
With my not-to-exceed-hull-speed boat it would take at least three days to go from Sacramento to Angel Island, so it would require at least a week for a round-trip voyage although it would be worthwhile to take more time. Once in the central bay, there are other destinations such as Alameda, Treasure Island, Sausalito and so on, as well as forays to Petaluma and Napa. Pittsburg Marina has quality diesel fuel at a good price.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:25 PM   #37

I'm still spoiled on my $2.80 I paid last year in Stockton!

I love cruising the bay. Last time I was down we tied up our 125' at the Army Corps pier in Sausalito near the Bay Model. I am planning to do it and back over a long weekend. Figure Sac to Benicia/Martinez (assuming you could get in there with the mud issues on low tide) one night - Angel the next day and rinse and repeat coming back.