Old 02-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
"Please throw me the bowline Fraulein! "

This will probably give away our ages Eric but do you like Bobby Helms or the Kitty Wells version (or box car Willy or Hank Locklan) ?

Old 02-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
Dimer2, I'm a year away from the double nickle and remember listening to songs like "16 Tons" by Tennessee Ernie Ford as a wee lad. If I were a real musician I would have realized it was a song title.....but I'm only a (recreational) drummer!

The first summer we had the boat (2014), I'd just tied off the mid-line and uttered that phrase to my Wife as I walked forward. It became part of the docking routine and I thought it would make for a good tag line. As a newbie I didn't realize that I was committing a safety infraction by saying throw instead of toss. Perhaps I'll edit it when I earn my "safe docking practices" patch!

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:28 PM   #23

City: Anchorage
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Camber height and age of boat

Thank you so much for those measurements!!! I knew the roof couldn't be flat. Well, it is flat, shouldn't be flat.

As for the support pole you mentioned, also awol! Though I don't have the two beds, just a queen? centered in the room.

I can tell I need to go visit the boat fairly soon, as the questions are beginning to mount up.

As to the other question in my original post, 1975 or 1978? I have found more paperwork that says is a 1977!

Thanks for the replies guys(gals?)

Andy
Rogerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:10 AM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Tri-Cities WA
Vessel Name: Long Shot
Vessel Model: 1978 Californian 42' LRC
HIN vs Title Dates

The discussion over HIN#s reminded me of a discrepancy noted at purchase. The HIN-JCM421541178 shows a 1978 build date yet the title says 1979.

I have no knowledge of the build timeline, but it seems plausible that it went into the mold late Nov 78' and was popped early in 79'.

Has anyone seen this on a Californian before?

Please throw me the bowline Fraulein!
Aft Deck Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:58 AM   #25
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aft Deck Capt View Post
The discussion over HIN#s reminded me of a discrepancy noted at purchase. The HIN-JCM421541178 shows a 1978 build date yet the title says 1979.

I have no knowledge of the build timeline, but it seems plausible that it went into the mold late Nov 78' and was popped early in 79'.

Yes, the Californian dealer swapped the paperwork on my boat with another. I had the title and paperwork for the other boat for over a year, which was still at the dealership. It was only caught when the other boat was re-sold, and shipped to another state.

But it doesn't surprise me. In the 70's boat registration was haphazard in many states, often done by mail or with shipping paperwork instead of an MSO. No one actually checked the paperwork against the numbers.

Titling errors were common and unless someone physically inspected and matched the paperwork to the boat, car, airplane, they could go many years before they're caught and corrected. Often it's only found when there is a change in insurance or they move to and registered in another State or jurisdiction requiring a physical inspection.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aft Deck Capt View Post

Makes sense that it was laid up in Nov 1978 (1178) based on our best efforts to decode the Californian HINs. It would also make sense that then it was sold in 1979 as a 1979 model boat. I bet your hull number is #154.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:47 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Makes sense that it was laid up in Nov 1978 (1178) based on our best efforts to decode the Californian HINs. It would also make sense that then it was sold in 1979 as a 1979 model boat. I bet your hull number is #154.
I agree.

I bought a 2002 Dodge Intrepid from Enterprise Rent a car once. The Federal Standards Sticker on the pillar post said, "Made in USA" in big letters and VIN decodes to 2002. But going through the paperwork I discovered that the car was actually built in late July 2001 and in Toronto, Canada not the US (They all were as it turns out.)

So if the big auto manufactures can do that, why not the boat manufactures too. Just make sure your paperwork matches the HIN on the stern.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #28

City: Anchorage
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
Californian HIN#'s

Hi again, I'm back with more questions! I found an old survey done on my Californian 42 LRC , HIN# clearly JCMO 42410975, which says year 1975 built in Tustin CA. I also found a report on the VHF radios dated 1975.

My question is, does the HIN# decode to hull 41 of the 42LRC production, or hull 41 of all Californian production? Maybe someone with an early 42LRC could compare their hull number?

Has anyone considered starting a registry of existing Californians? Just wondering how many of the 200+ 42's produced are still afloat?

Thanks guys

Andy
Rogerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #29
Guru

I don't know Andy, still something wrong here. Did you actually confirm the HIN on the stern of your boat?

I think it's reasonable to assume they didn't build 41, 42' LRC's in their 1st year of production when total production was 200+ 42' LRC's in the entire production run of nine years. So if your year of layup was Sept. 1975, then it was a very early 42' LRC, preproduction hull, before the official 1976 1st production model year.

So I guess the question is, was yours the 41st hull laid up that year or was it a total sequential hull number of all hulls laid up to date by that plant?

My boat was built in July 1976 and is hull #44 also in Tustin. So if the number is total plant production, then mine was the third hull after yours. Did they only build three boats between Sept 75 and July 76? Not likely.

So what does this all mean, that is a conundrum.

PS: Also the comments on your documentation papers indicating that the date of manufacture was "uniknown" bothers me too. For some reason they were unable to determine that. This was a production boat built in the U.S. Why?
Old 03-27-2016, 08:01 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerit View Post
Hi again, I'm back with more questions! I found an old survey done on my Californian 42 LRC , HIN# clearly JCMO 42410975, which says year 1975 built in Tustin CA. I also found a report on the VHF radios dated 1975.

My question is, does the HIN# decode to hull 41 of the 42LRC production, or hull 41 of all Californian production? Maybe someone with an early 42LRC could compare their hull number?

Has anyone considered starting a registry of existing Californians? Just wondering how many of the 200+ 42's produced are still afloat?

Thanks guys

Andy
Andy, now we're getting somewhere! The first digit following the JCM is the number 0, not the letter O.

JCM042410975

At some point, Californians dropped that Zero after the JCM...maybe when they foresaw that the hull number would exceed the 2 digit position they had allocated it.

I'm still thinking your last digit is likely an 8 to denote the year 1978 which would make sense considering hull #41. Could it be possible that the digit is worn and the 8 appears as a 5? Sometimes a pencil tracing or a digital image will provide a new perspective.

By comparison, my 1977 34 LRC hull number is

JCM034010277

JCM (Marshall Boats - California made) 034 (34 ft model) 01 (hull #) 0277 (Feb 1977 mold month).

Later models that I've seen will read JCMLLXXXMMYY where LL- length, XXX=hull #, MMYY=month and year of hull mold.

Here's one from a 1984 34 LRC with a different pattern, but still the JCM. Makes me question what I was told by Gil Marshall b/c I'm pretty sure this one was a Wellcraft model.

EDIT: Just read Edelweiss' post above. Maybe a 6 rubbed off to look like a 5? 1976?

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:06 PM   #31
Guru

Yup, photo's from different angles. Maybe even a pencil rubbing, with a thin sheet of paper and a very soft lead, might yield a hint of what it really is. Can't really trust any of the paperwork. If there was an error recording the HIN at some point, it just continues to be repeated until it's corrected.