Old 01-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #41
Veteran Member

City: Oregon
Vessel Model: 1979 42' Californian
then mine would be hull #166! Thanks for that info... and yes, I am satisfied about the answer to my original question.

as for staying warm in Oregon, we have not moved aboard yet, but have spent the last 1.5 years on a sailboat in the same marina.. staying warm is not an issue so far

the person I am buying the Californian from is also a live aboard and has not had any issues.. the boat has 2 diesel heaters for when it gets *really* cold.. which is not often... he actually lived through a couple of winters in AK with it. A couple of standard West Marine electric heaters work just fine otherwise.

But then, depending on where you are from, staying warm in Oregon can mean "not letting it get below 60 inside" (during some really cold snaps it has been as low as 48 F in the morning on the sailboat) 70 F is considered a bit warmish...

tmiller1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:25 PM   #42
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiller1116 View Post
as for staying warm in Oregon, we have not moved aboard yet, but have spent the last 1.5 years on a sailboat in the same marina.. staying warm is not an issue so far

the person I am buying the Californian from is also a live aboard and has not had any issues.. the boat has 2 diesel heaters for when it gets *really* cold.. which is not often... he actually lived through a couple of winters in AK with it. A couple of standard West Marine electric heaters work just fine otherwise.
Ahh, you're set up with diesel heat. I only have wall mounted Thermador electric heaters in each compartment and they're fine, March through November.

I lived on mind for about a year and a half while going through a divorce. The first year was fine, but the second winter was hard and we had a long cold spell down into the teens and that was enough for me.