Old 01-16-2017, 12:09 AM   #1

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Outer Marker
Vessel Model: Californian LRC 34
New (to us) LRC 34

I posted this on the "welcome mat" and thought I should repost here, sorry for the duplication. My wife and I are the happy owners of a 1981 Californian LRC 34 "Outer Marker" SN 3416781. She has twin Cat NA 3208s (210 hp) and a 5Kw genset. I must admit I have been lurking on this site for over a year and have found some great information - it actually introduced us to the Californians. We picked the boat up just over a year ago and she has required some restoration and repairs (some known at the time of purchase and some surprises). We got out a fair amount this past summer and put her through her paces. We purchased her from the original owner who kept her in Vancouver BC and finally Comox and they ranged as far north as Alaska in their voyages. We have her back in Vancouver - are there any other Californians around locally? I have the original owners manual which I can post if anyone is interested (although I think someone has posted one already?), I also have a Webasto heater manual pdf available and a few other original equipment manuals as well. I'll try to get a list together.

One of the "surprises" has been a water leak in the aft quarters of the salon ceiling. I think the water is coming from a variety of places - deck fittings, bridge securing screws and metal flashing - we are trying to seal all of the above before proceeding with soffit removal and interior panel replacement. I have removed the interior headliner along the edges and am trying to remove the exterior soffit wood - does anyone one have experience with this? I have read the "water damage" thread but require more info on soffit removal - any information would be appreciated.

Cheers, Herb
Attached Thumbnails
LRC 34.jpg   LRC 34 SN.jpg  
herbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:07 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Congratulations on the new boat!

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
The thing about water leaks is... they never come from where you think it's coming from and from nowhere near the drips. Good luck and congrats.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Congrats!

There is a liquid epoxy. It is called Captain ?. I am home and the stuff is on the boat. I can't remember the name. I will not be at the boat till tomorrow. Maybe someone here can remember the name. I really does work!
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Captain Tolly's Creeping Crack Cure perhaps? I don't think it's an epoxy but I think it works too.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Congrats on the new boat, and good luck chasing that water leak. They can be difficult to locate.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #7
chc

City: PA
Vessel Name: Scooter
Vessel Model: 1984 Californian 34 LRC
Congratulations on your new boat. as has been said already, water leaks can be nasty to trace, 'specialy if they are established when you buy the boat. It is a great boat that will take good care of you. Enjoy!
chc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:55 PM   #8
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Welcome to the TF, herbh. Outer Marker is a handsome cruiser.

As others have noted, water leaks can be pernicious. They so often turn out not to originate where it seems as though they should. OTOH, as long as your bilge pumps can stay ahead of it . . .
Old 01-16-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Herb, with a name like Outer Marker, sounds like you might have bought that boat from...or are yourself...a pilot. True?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:10 PM   #10

Thanks for the suggestions, my wife and I spent the weekend recaulking bridge fittings and the flashing and our weather has moved back to rain so I can check if we have stopped the water ingress. I want to make certain that we have before replacing any wood.
FlyWright - you are correct, the previous (and original) owner was a captain with Air Canada - unfortunately he passed away recently. One of the reasons we thought the boat would be a good fit for our family is that my father in law was a captain for Air Canada as well - unfortunately he passed away about 10 years ago - I don't know if they knew of each other or not. It can be a small world sometimes! We have decided to keep the original name for now.....
Old 01-16-2017, 11:13 PM   #11
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Congratulation Herb on the new boat. I'm sure you're going to really enjoy it this next summer.

Yes, water leaks are a pain. rail stanchions and fittings are often a source. Any place a screw penetrates the FG is a potential leak.

Good luck with that and welcome to the forum
Old 01-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Kodiak
Vessel Name: Nautical Girl
Vessel Model: Wellcraft California 34 LRC
Excellent Choice

Herb,, enjoy the new addition, I have owned mine since 2000.
The 34 is an outstanding boat, easily single handed and very seaworthy.
I live in Alaska; shortly after my purchase I blew my Port Eng (2,600hrs).
The heater hose that runs under the Portside deck to the fwd heater split, the coolant burst into the bilge (undetected). The over temp system on the 3208s is a wet bulb system thus once the coolant was gone it only indicated overtemp after the paint began to burn off of the block.
The hoses looked in great shape,, but it was year 2000 and they had been in place since 1982,, looks can be deceiving.
Ah the plot thickens,, the Cat needed to come out of the boat and the rebuild was 15K not including the removal and installation…
I elected to do the work myself (31 yr Aircraft Mech USCG)
Replaced both Cats with John Deer’s 6.8 lt 225HP BigBig Job..

Much better fuel economy and faster through the RPM ranges..

When I transferred to Hawaii years ago,, I shipped the boat to Oahu and back again after my tour; Hawaiian Big Waters were a challenge at times,, the Molokai Channel stood up when I was attempting to cross it one time and handed us a major beating! But she took it with minor structural damage, I can go into detail about that at a later time. (They are very strong boats in the areas that are structurally important)

Good luck on the leaks, mine leaks everywhere, but this year I’m going to tackle the leaks..

On that note: anyone out there replace their windshield and main salon windows with modern types? SeaMac etc.
Also:
**Mark Plastics has the fwd plastic sliders, he was the original vendor and can make them upon request.. (951) 735-0707 / exact replacement for my 1982
Capt Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:22 PM   #13

Sounds like you and your Californian have seen some interesting waters! That was one of things that attracted us to LRC 34; all of the articles and previous owners said they were very seaworthy. We have not had Outer Marker in any significant seas - about a 3' chop which she just plowed through. One of the first tasks we did, which was recommended by the surveyor, was change all the thru-hulls (they were gate valves with some plastic fittings). When we took out the genset thru-hull towards the stern the hull was about 1 3/4" thick! - the mechanic's comment was "they don't make them like that anymore". I also had to replace the risers - I used Greenwater Marine's after market units that fit right in no problem and are a far better design than the originals (and a much better deal). She does seem like a tough boat.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:36 AM   #14

Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
Do you moor at Mosquito Creek? I am pretty sure I recognize your boat. The name really jumps out at me every time we go out.
LowNSlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:46 PM   #15

Hi LowNSlow - we are out at the end of C dock in Mosquito Creek, come on by if you see us there....
Old 01-25-2017, 04:31 PM   #16

Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbh View Post
Hi LowNSlow - we are out at the end of C dock in Mosquito Creek, come on by if you see us there....
I actually moor next door at the Burrard Yacht Club, so I won't be wandering your docks. I just have to pass your boat every time we go past the breakwater and the name Outer Marker jumps out at me. If you see some stranger waving from a 34 foot Tollycraft you might know who he is.
LowNSlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote