Old 12-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #1

City: Seward, AK
Vessel Name: Spirit
Vessel Model: 1979 34' Californian
New Boat

I just wanted to chime in and show you my new boat, Spirit.* Right now she is in Everett, WA while I get ready to bring her up to Seward, AK.* I've got plans to add Floscans,*do some general maintenance, and take her on some short shake down cruises in February.* Mid April, 2 of my buddies and my brother and I*are planning on cruising her up here.* Most of the trip will be up the Inside Passage.* The Gulf of Alaska crossing will be the largest length of open water that we have to cross.* Should be fun.*

Oh yes, she is a 34' LRC with twin 185 hp Perkins.* Her PO's loved her and took very good care of her.*

Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg   02.jpg  
Alaskahick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Guru

RE: New Boat

Great looking boat.* I am sure you will like it.* I bought mine nearly exactly a year ago.* She came with a few more projects than I anticipated, but I really like it.* A Californian is a real rare animal in Iowa, or even up river as far as Minneaplolis.* I think it is the only Californian in fact.* Draws compliments everywhere I have taken it.* There is a lot to like about the way it is built.* I am very happy that it is American made.* Stop back and tell us how you are doing.* There is a lot of good advice (most of it) available here.*** Welcome Aboard.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Congratulations!* We are moored on the commercial dock QN2 in Everett, WA.* Drop by and/or if you need help/information let me know.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC

Looks like a nice 34' and sounds like a fun trip.* I have never tackled the gulf crossing, but as you say should be interesting.*

Be sure and build a nice spare parts kit before you leave.* Little things like the right sized soft plugs for the water coolers and impellers for those Sherwood raw water pumps can be hard to find in some areas heading north.

Have a good trip.

Larry B
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #5

City: Seward, AK
Vessel Name: Spirit
Vessel Model: 1979 34' Californian
New Boat

There was 3 Californians at the City docks in Seward.* My wife let me purchase this one after I got her on board one of them in Seward.* I am looking forward to having her up here.* There is a lot of shore line to check out from Seward toward Homer and North up into Prince William Sound.* Should be much more comfortable than my 22' North River Commander.*

So where around the Everett/Seattle area is a good source for a spare parts kit.* Also, thanks Edelweiss for the parts ideas.* I was planning on building a kit containing a starter, altenator, belts, hoses, and various electrical repair items.* Should I add anything else to the list?

-- Edited by Alaskahick on Tuesday 27th of December 2011 11:57:35 PM
Alaskahick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #6
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
New Boat

Quote:
Alaskahick wrote:
*So where around the Everett/Seattle area is a good source for a spare parts kit.* Also, thanks Edelweiss for the parts ideas.* I was planning on building a kit containing a starter, altenator, belts, hoses, and various electrical repair items.* Should I add anything else to the list?

-- Edited by Alaskahick on Tuesday 27th of December 2011 11:57:35 PM
Yeahl!**They're really a great rough water boat.* Nice beamy hull and solidly glass, and built for off shore cruising.* You will be more than happy with her.*

Last time I was at Everett, They had a new marine store*just north and around the corner from the Everett Marina.* They have a lot of stock on hand.**I'm sure Phil Fill can point you to that one.* I'm in Anacortes so generally I use North Harbor Diesel*for anything Perkins*related.* Most of my filters and Impellers I order through WMJ or Defender Marine on the internet.*

On a long trip like that, you can never carry enough tools and parts.* I would include a spare fuel lift pump, engine coolant water pump, starter solenoid, one injector and seals, a case of primary fuel filters, lube oil filters, spare pencil zincs for the coolers, spare bilge pump and float switch.*

Lost a soft plug on an engine*water cooler one time up in Canada and couldn't match the size anywhere, (the Canadian Perkins used a different marinization kit and soft plugs)* Who would have thought it??* As*a last resort, the mechanic put a screw through the hole in the soft plug and buried it in resin.* Was still solid as a rock three weeks later when we got back to Anacortes.*

If you have the time, be sure to check the rocker arm valve clearance.* They're mechanical lifters and need to be adjusted now and then.* Let them get to far out of whack and the rocker arm will jump off the push rod.* Give it a good thorough going over.**Any discolorations in the engine paint on manifolds, pipes, around joints may be the first sign of failure.* Anything that doesn't look right, have it checked out before you leave.*

Larry B

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Wednesday 28th of December 2011 01:37:47 AM
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote