Need Info on 48 Californian CPMY

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobP

Vessel Name
Going Coastal
Vessel Make
35' albin command bridge 2004
Anyone have info on a 48' Californian? I am in the process of purchasing one. Survey lined up for this Wednesday.

I have the 48 non cockpit version, 3 stateroom if you have any questions be glad to help answer them.

...and I have an '88 45 Californian. Glad to answer any questions.

ERIC

I am in the process of purchasing a 1988 Californian CPMY. I had the survey and sea trial yesterday and everything went very well. I like about everything about it and was just wondering if there are any things that I should keep an eye out for? This particular boat has twin 3208 Cats (375 hp) it reached max rpm of 2800 with no issues and seemed to run well at a cruising rpm of 2000-2200. Is there a "sweet spot" that your boat runs at? How long have you had yours? Any info on likes and dislikes would be appreciated.
Thanks, Bob P

I have the same engines and I have had my boat only one year. In that time I have not cruised it extensively, however, I like to run mine right about 1,950 or 2,000 rpm. Works out to about 11 knots and burns about 12 or 13 gph at that speed. If I bump up to 2,400, she'll cruise at 15, but my fuel consumption more than doubles. Not a good trade-off in my book. Besides, I spent the last 8 years running displacement boats with cruising speeds of 7-8 knots. 11 feels like I'm flying!

Best of luck with the new boat. I really like mine.

ERIC

One problem with the boat that I chased for quite some time: I had a strong diesel odor (mostly in the aft stateroom) and some fuel in the bilge every time I filled up - and for several days afterwards. Looked pretty much everywhere. I finally traced the fuel leakage to somewhere aft - so the main tank. But no signs of leakage anywhere around the tank (that I could get to.) I knew the leak had to be up high on the tank since it went away after running the boat on the main tank for two or three hours. I could get to all the fuel supply and return hoses and they all looked good - no leaks. Eventually found a hole where the vent hose was rubbing against a screw high up near the fuel fill. I figured that might be a source of the smell - but no way was that the source of all the leakage in the bilge. Sure enough, next time I fueled the main tank, I got the same smell. But this time, it didn't show up until several hours later.

Stands to reason that the fill hose might be involved, but I pulled all the inner boards out of the hanging locker and also the access hatches near the fill and under the mattress. Hose was completely dry everywhere I could reach and feel. I mean, the only section of hose I didn't try to see was the 12 inches or so inside the port side night stand. Yep. That's where the leak was. I finally pulled the drawer out of the nightstand (ridiculous I didn't do it earlier) and the hose was badly kinked where it came through the poorly cut hole in the bulkhead between the bed and night stand. This kink eventually caused the hose to fail in that spot and, because of the kink there was a low "belly" in the hose there. Even after running the fuel down below the tank fill inlet, at least a half-gallon of fuel remained in the hose, drip, drip, dripping into the bilge. Removed the old hose, re-cut the hole, installed a new hose. Problem solved.

Just wanted to let you know to watch out for things like that. These are pretty well-built boats, but some things were done just a bit slipshod...

Thanks guys. I'm retired so I'm in no rush to get anywhere, 1950 - 2000rpms will work for me. In a couple of weeks I will be moving the boat from its current location in the Annapolis MD area on the Chesapeake Bay down the ICW to Southport NC (south of Wilmington) looking forward to the trip.
As far as that fuel fill hose goes I will try and locate it and take a peek at its condition. Better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom