Old 06-16-2016, 08:16 PM   #21
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Oh ya!! That looks like a fun time!! Good looking fish!

It's nice seeing large fish on boats. Most of my buddies catch bass, trout, and kokanee in our Northern CA lakes. Their catch looks a lot like bait to me.

I keep fire hose on my rails when I'm fishing and when the boat's just sitting in her covered slip. It has done wonders for protecting the teak from damage from weights and other tackle.

Love the bloody deck shot! Is that a flush-mounted bait tank cover in place of the lazarette hatch?

My decks get more slime than blood since much of my fishing is C&R. I was solo this day, so this was the only way I could get a selfie with the 65 inch white sturgeon. She was the second big girl of the day that I boated and released solo and I was beat...and sore for 4 days!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 10:57 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Whittier
Vessel Name: Sweet Marie
Vessel Model: 34 Californian LRC
Catching a Sac River Sturgeon is on my bucket list. Nice fish. Did you catch that on your Californian? What is the best time of year for them? Last year was an unbelievable fishing year in So Cal. We had a 35 yellowfin tuna day. The hatch on the deck is a commercial grade aluminum hatch the PO installed. My bait tank is a fifty five gallon barrel on the swim step with a thin fiberglass liner to keep is completly opaque. Cheap and works great. I attached a video I watch when I need a fix.

Sweet marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:04 PM   #23
Veteran Member

By the way can you send a picture of your fire hose fix? The rails take a beating.
Old 06-17-2016, 12:52 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet marie View Post
Catching a Sac River Sturgeon is on my bucket list. Nice fish. Did you catch that on your Californian? What is the best time of year for them?
Yes, that was on my 34 LRC last Feb. The best sturgeon months are typically October-March. As the weather warms inland, the winds kick up in the sturgeon grounds. That's when I switch from fishing to cruising, but they can be caught year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet marie View Post
By the way can you send a picture of your fire hose fix? The rails take a beating.
There's a fire hose shot in post 6 of this thread. It's a little redneck, but it's effective. Maybe a good topic for a new thread.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:47 AM   #25

City: Sitka, AK
Vessel Name: Magnetic North
Vessel Model: 1985 Californian 34
The most recent catches. You'll have to excuse the banana, my kids thought it would be a great pic for our superstitious friend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160610_185709.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	53284   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160528_162322.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	53285  
robs523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:23 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Very nice halibut and big rockfish. I love halibut fishing but our much smaller California halibut sem to be all but extinct. Not sure what happened to them but you don't see many at all caught anymore. It seems to be that way with all our non migratory fish anymore. I heard a statistic that in 1930 there were 30,000 sea lions in California and now there are 290,000. I often wonder if they are the cause of the decline.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:08 AM   #27

thanks, and wow that's a lot of sea lions! I would imagine that definitely has something to do with it. I just learned they're protected federally. We have had one here going up on the fish cleaning docks and even on a boat one time and chasing people off and taking their fish. The city can't do anything about because they're protected unless a native Alaskan hunts it.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:02 AM   #28
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by robs523 View Post
thanks, and wow that's a lot of sea lions! I would imagine that definitely has something to do with it. I just learned they're protected federally. We have had one here going up on the fish cleaning docks and even on a boat one time and chasing people off and taking their fish. The city can't do anything about because they're protected unless a native Alaskan hunts it.
Hmmm... .Now there is a thought. Maybe that would be a solution for the excess of sea lions we have in Puget Sound, . . . . make friends with a native hunter.

Here they sink docks, boats, swim steps, buoys and lay in front of the fish ladders decimating our salmon and steelhead runs. We've been thinking more along the lines of teaching our resident Orcas, who only eat salmon (go figure), to feed on the sea lion population.

And put a bounty on the half wits who keep sea lions on the endangered species list!!

What? OK OK. . . you found my over the edge hot point. . .
Old 06-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #29

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
I have see orcas eat young sea lions, seals and sea otters.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:14 PM   #30
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Yes that is true, most Orcas do eat other marine mammals. Especially the pods living in Alaska waters, who even attack other whale species.

The "Southern Resident" Orca population, Pods J, K and L, inhabit Washington's Puget Sound, San Juans Islands, Gulf Islands, BC waters and eat primarily Chinook salmon. Link below speaks on the subject.

One Endangered Species Eats Another: Killer Whales and Salmon :: NOAA Fisheries

When one of the other pods occasionally wanders into Puget Sound, all the seals, sea lions move onto the rocks and beaches until they leave.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #31
Veteran Member

The only good news is that (at least in California) they have downgraded their status of protection and now allow non lethal harassment,including paint ball guns and slingshots. We have given the slingshots a try without much luck. Harder to hit than you would think. I am looking forward to the day I can buy a Sea Lion Tag. Because of them we have stopped fishing the Coronado Islands in northern Baja. They routinely eat 50 percent of our catch, and that is if you can get a live bait past them.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:16 AM   #32

Down rigger mounts?

Robs, what are those two "mounts" for that I see in your pictures. They are the white brackets with something black mounted on top and wrap over your top rail. Something like that would be a good way to mount a stout rod holder for tuna fishing.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #33
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Sea lions are friendly here.

It's not unusual for them to be under seagull attack, however. Not unusual to see a score of seagulls diving on a sea lion.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvie View Post
Robs, what are those two "mounts" for that I see in your pictures. They are the white brackets with something black mounted on top and wrap over your top rail. Something like that would be a good way to mount a stout rod holder for tuna fishing.
I think you're probably talking about the down rigger mounts. Those were custom made when the boat was overhauled because it was going to be a charter fishing boat.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #35
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Sea lions are friendly here.

It's not unusual for them to be under seagull attack, however. Not unusual to see a score of seagulls diving on a sea lion.
At sea here it's not uncommon to see a "flock" of gulls diving "at" a
sealion. They are messy eaters, bringing a fish up and shaking it to
pieces. The gulls go into a feeding frenzy for the "fishbits".

Ted

Ted is offline   Reply With Quote